Profile for Ann Parker > Reviews

Content by Ann Parker

Ann Parker (Indian Rocks Beach, Florida)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Murder in Scorpio (Private Investigator Elizabeth Chase Investigates)
Murder in Scorpio (Private Investigator Elizabeth Chase Investigates)
by Martha Lawrence

5.0 out of 5 stars Rivetting read!, 5 Mar 2013
This was the first of this author's books I think, and I loved the prose, the plot, the setting and the characters. If I could give it more stars, I would. Wish she hadn't stopped recounting the very eventful and sometimes eerie life of Dr Elizabeth Chase...

Ashes of Aries
Ashes of Aries
by Martha C. Lawrence

5.0 out of 5 stars Just love Martha C Lawrence..., 5 Mar 2013
This review is from: Ashes of Aries (Hardcover)
...and wish she would revoke her decision not to write any more novels: they are far from frivolous, as she seems to think, and have given much pleasure to a lot of people.

Blood, Sweat and Tea: Real Life Adventures in an Inner-city Ambulance
Blood, Sweat and Tea: Real Life Adventures in an Inner-city Ambulance
Price: 0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A real eye-opener, 5 Mar 2013
This 'blog-book' is not the greatest piece of literature you'll ever read, but it will give you a true insight into the life and times of a 'real' London ambulance paramedic. Found it most interesting even though it did lead to me questioning my naive impression of ambulance service crews.

A Season of Knives: A Sir Robert Carey Mystery (Sir Robert Carey Series Book 2)
A Season of Knives: A Sir Robert Carey Mystery (Sir Robert Carey Series Book 2)
Price: 1.96

5.0 out of 5 stars A down to earth hero based on truth, 4 Mar 2013
This author transports you to Scotland far from the country you know today. It was dirty and scary, and you were really lucky to get a fair hearing if you were accused of any sort of crime because of the way justice was dispensed (ie if you paid up, you got away with it). This is only the second book I've read by this author, the other being A Famine of Horses, which I think I enjoyed more.

The Cold Heart of Capricorn
The Cold Heart of Capricorn
by Martha Lawrence

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of my favourite authors..., 4 Mar 2013
This author draws you into the persona of her psychic investigator heroine, Dr Elizabeth Chase. She's only written a few books and I've read them all but one, so have only that one to look forward to. Her last book was written/published in 2001, and this turns out to be a clue as to why she stopped writing this series (see: [...]). What a shame she feels this way, but 7/11 affected everyone differently.

War Brides
War Brides
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Haunting Tale of Wartime England, 28 Dec 2012
This review is from: War Brides (Kindle Edition)
War Brides was the first book I bought when I got my Kindle Paperwhite in early December. I just loved the stories of these very different girls as they unfolded, especially maybe that of Evangeline. The other girls were also of consuming interest, and I found the book entirely rivetting. Couldn't put it down. I'll be looking for more books by this author, she has given me such enjoyment.

Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Cover, Royal Purple (will only fit Kindle Paperwhite)
Price: 29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This cover perfectly complements the Kindle Paperwhite WiFi, 6 Dec 2012
I chose this cover because of the description by Amazon as the only cover that's perfectly designed for the Paperwhite. And it actually fulfils all of its promise and more! The Kindle fits into it securely, and I love the colour (a bonus, but important). It is slim and neat yet substantial, it folds back on itself for ease of reading at night, and it closes with a satisfying click. And of course it's designed to accommodate any attachments required without having to be removed. What more could you ask?

3 x G4 14w 12v Halogen Clear Capsule Bulbs, Low Energy - This Lamp Uses 14w, But The Brightness Is Equal To A Classic 20w Version. Average Energy Savings Up To 30% Compared To The Classic Bulbs, Also 100% Dimmable With An Average Life Time Of 2000 Hours
Offered by MHP Computer Services Ltd
Price: 5.81

5.0 out of 5 stars These do the job, 6 Dec 2012
I bought some very cheap bulbs to replace some in the kitchen that I know had lasted for at least the 9 years we've been in this flat. My handyman managed to install them with great difficulty. But there was a huge problem with them as they kept going out for maybe 10 minutes, then going back on again! I put this down to them over-heating and turning themselves off as a safety measure, so decided to buy these low energy bulbs. Again with great difficulty and perseverance, my handyman installed the above, and there have been no problems since he put them in over a month ago. Would recommend these bulbs if you have these fiddly recessed light fixtures, but be warned and don't buy any that aren't 'low energy'.

Memory Foam Cushion - Travel Pillow 12" Wide 12" Hight- Pack Of 2 In Individual Boxes
Offered by Price Zone
Price: 16.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Maybe Memory Foam, not sure..., 22 Aug 2012
I didn't realise when I ordered this product that the foam inside wouldn't be a sheet of foam, but very small off-cuts. And it was hard to tell what they were off-cuts of as they included some quite hard bits and a few pieces of black plastic - maybe the foam was mainly memory foam or maybe it wasn't, who knows...

Apart from that, whoever had filled the interior cotton cover had just stuffed the foam bits in so that there was a hump in the middle, and the corners were left with nothing in them. I had to undo the stitching on one seam, and initially removed maybe a quarter of the foam while I manoeuvred what was left into the corners, and tried to form an even filling of the rest so that it formed a normal cushion shape. This was not easy and took some time, especially at the end when the small foam bits had to be stuffed into the nearest corners (and kept coming out of them), and the shape of the cushion at the front had to be maintained as the seam was sewn back up again.

Funnily enough, almost all the foam bits fitted back into the cotton cover, it was the diabolical distribution that was at fault.

The reason I'm still giving this item 2 stars instead of a fully-dissatisifed 1 star rating, is because I needed a light-weight cushion to put between my knees at night on holiday (bad back!), and in the end it was suitable for that.

The Astrological Aspects
The Astrological Aspects
by Charles E O Carter

5.0 out of 5 stars A Treasure Trove, 4 July 2012
This little book is so accurate it's scary. The only quibble is that Pluto is not included. However, since he obviously writes from experience of the many charts he has interpreted, I would suspect that he didn't consider he had enough data at the time of writing (1930) to formulate definite views about Pluto. And although he was revising until 1967 (he died in 1968), I felt it was a shame that he had not included Pluto's aspects. The writing flows easily and he expresses himself clearly and without ambiguity or waffle. If you want to know what the aspects really mean, this book will tell you as it is, no holds barred.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4