Profile for sullivanlaw > Reviews

Captain Sir Richard Francis Burton: A Biography
Captain Sir Richard Francis Burton: A Biography
by Edward Rice

5.0 out of 5 stars Already Tattered From Overuse, 10 Feb. 2011
This is the second purchase of this book that I have made, and I have already tattered its edges from referring to it so often. As all of Burton's major biographies go, Rice's book has the easiest format for me to quickly refer to. Just as with Brodie's, Lovell's,and Godsall's, it has well-labeled chapters with well-researched data, organized into a well-written and well-edited format. Yet, due to the fact that I frequently refer to particular points in Burton's life, this book has been by far the most useful to me. Research-wise and bibliography-wise, this book is beautifully arranged.
Now if you are looking for a biography of Sir Richard F Burton to read for pleasure, Rice is also a great place to start. It is very concise, full of interesting facts you might not get elsewhere. Rice is a beautiful writer and quickly captures his audience in his book--which, as any reader of biographies knows, is not always at the top of the agenda.
I do highly recommend Rice's "Captain Sir Richard Francis Burton: A Biography". If you have an interest in Richard F Burton, history, travel, exploration, differing cultures, Victorian England, Oxford, India, Mecca, El-Medina, Harrar, Africa, South America, Trieste, Tours,France, languages, anthropology, the Crimean War, falconry, fencing, swordsmanship, erotica, sexual prowess, writing, poetry, and on and on--you will enjoy this very much!

The Tangled Web: A Life of Sir Richard Burton
The Tangled Web: A Life of Sir Richard Burton
by Jon R. Godsall

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the Most Researched Burton Book, 10 Feb. 2011
More wonderful information about Burton and almost everyone that ever touched his life in any way. Yet, when anyone's life is lit with too much glare, does it not always dim their greatness? According to Godsall, Captain Sir Richard Francis Burton was more of a great Public Relations man for himself, than truly great in any of the many fields he excelled in. Now I cannot speak for anyone else, but I certainly do not speak 29 languages so fluently that those who were raised on whichever language could not tell his difference. Nor have I had 34+ books published--with relative popularity during my lifetime, nor have a ever studied a foreign culture to the point of being able to completely disguise myself as one of them--down to every mannerism and speech inflection, appearance, carriage, all social etiquettes--not just once and in one culture, but several times and in several different cultures. To me, even after reading Godsall's impressively researched book, Burton will always be one of the three greatest men on earth. Aside from much downplaying of Burton's impressive accomplishments, I think Jon R. Godsall is still very much impressed with him too!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 2, 2015 2:08 PM BST

A Rage to Live: A Biography of Richard and Isabel Burton
A Rage to Live: A Biography of Richard and Isabel Burton
by Mary S. Lovell

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Three Best Burton Biographies I've Read, 10 Feb. 2011
If you've never read a Burton biography, then by all means start here. Lovell has found quite a bit more information about Richard and much more about Isabel than previously written about. Between Wright's RFB: A Biography and Fawn Brodie's The Devil Drives, somehow Lovell has captured a differing sense altogether of this fascinating couple. Great research, wonderfully written, and detailed to a level that even "Ruffian Dick" would have been proud of.

To the Holy Shrines (Penguin Great Journeys)
To the Holy Shrines (Penguin Great Journeys)
by Richard Burton

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Burton Book, 10 Feb. 2011
This is a wonderful little book for anyone not quite up to the task of reading deeply the complete two-volume Sir Richard Francis Burton "Personal Narrative of a Pilgrimage to Al-Madinah and Meccah". And, by using the term "little", I do not mean insignificant, but actually size-wise being only 105 pages and perhaps 4 inches by seven at best. Penguin Books has done a wonderful job of choosing a very interesting assortment of inserts from the major volumes, yet still leaving you with the overall sense of adventure. Now I do so love Burton and his writing style and all that he ever was, yet even I can get a little bogged down in his details, for I am not a scientist, nor anthropologist myself, but an attorney.
One more thing--I had first thought when purchasing this book, that it would encompass several shrines throughout his travels--maybe even more importantly to me--the sacred shrines of Harrar--and perhaps even his thoughts on shrines in Cairo, Constantinople, India. So I thought I should mention that it deals solely with the shrines of Meccah and Al-Madinah.
Great stuff! Really!