Profile for Stephen M. Bedford > Reviews

Britain's Royal Families: The Complete Genealogy
Britain's Royal Families: The Complete Genealogy
by Alison Weir

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'Majestic' achievement, in my opinion., 13 Mar. 2016
I think that this is an excellent book, very well written. It gives the basic information about all members of the Royal Families going back to pre Norman times. There is also some useful information given about many of the Royal Family members. This book took Alison Weir about 22 years to write, and looking at the list of reference works she has reviewed, this is not surprising. On several occasions some information has been based on what she believes is most llikely to have happened, where there is little or no firm proof. I find this very helpful as this is not generally found in other reference books I have read. It is only, I guess, through her extensive research that she has been able to come to some of her conclusions. One other author has been involved in producing a similar but more involved work over the last few years but, within a few weeks of its anticipated release date, the release was cancelled, and I have heard nothing to make me believe that it will ever be published. For anyone interested in the history of British, not just English, Royal families, I believe that Alison Weir should be hugely congratulated for finishing what must have felt like a life's work. All of this can perhaps be summarised in one word. "Brilliant".

A4 Everyday Paper 80gsm (Box of 5 REAMS = 2500 Sheets)
A4 Everyday Paper 80gsm (Box of 5 REAMS = 2500 Sheets)
Offered by A2B Stationery Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the cat's whiskers!, 3 Feb. 2016
How does one write a review about copy paper? Well, it's reasonably priced, well packed, not at all damaged, and does what it's supposed to do. Also, it was delivered quickly, so no complaints from me. Also, my cat Lego likes it because, after use of course, he stands on his hind legs and, putting his front paws on the top of the shredder, loves to watch the paper feed into it. So, this Office Depot paper keeps both of us happy.

Applaws Dry Cat Food Chicken and Salmon, 2kg
Applaws Dry Cat Food Chicken and Salmon, 2kg

5.0 out of 5 stars A big round of applause for Applaws, 3 Feb. 2016
I personally would not eat it because I think it stinks, but my cat Lego absolutely loves it, so I just have to buy it. The 2kg bag is rather large but it lasts months, so Lego doesn't have to keep sending me out to buy more.

Lungs
Lungs

4.0 out of 5 stars Go with the 'Flo', 21 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Lungs (Audio CD)
This is the first time I have ever listened to any music by Florence and the Machine, and I guess I only bought this album to see what all the hype was about. I chose to buy 'Lungs', rather than one of the other available albums, because most of the reviews I had read seemed to recommend it as the best. Having in a way 'forced' myself to listen to it a couple of times, I must say that I thought it was rather good. I think Florence has a very good voice, and the music blends in with it very well. I suppose I would classify it as being 'rock', but not what I would necessarily have thought of rock music being like. I cannot compare the music on this album with anything I have heard from any other artist or band, as I think they are unique. I can only suggest that, if you are getting a little bored with the type of music you are listening to, try this. Maybe listen to a couple of sample tracks over the internet and see what you think. Personally, I am very pleased I bought the album, because it has widened my general music awareness. Oh, and I think the album is great, and listening to it cheers me up.

Glorious
Glorious
Offered by mrtopseller

5.0 out of 5 stars Who said 'Foxes can't sing?, 21 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Glorious (Audio CD)
I really have no idea why I bought this album. Perhaps because of a foxy young lady on the cover? Anyway, I was not aware that foxes could sing, but this one most certainly can. It's difficult sometimes when someone asks you why you like an album, or what it is about an album that you like. With this one I think it comes down to a brilliant singer, some very good songs, and a performance which I think is just what it says on the tin, 'Glorious'. I just love listening to it.

The Same Sun
The Same Sun

3.0 out of 5 stars I think I will have to listen another couple of times before I decide how good it is, 21 Sept. 2015
This review is from: The Same Sun (Audio CD)
Still not so sure about this album. I think I will have to listen another couple of times before I decide how good it is. My thoughts at present are that it is okay, but that it lacks something. Maybe it is that she does not have the confidence to put everything into it, having been rather overshadowed in the Corrs by her sister;soutstanding performances. I don't knw.

An Evening With Kris Kristofferson The Pilgrim; CH 77 Union Chapel
An Evening With Kris Kristofferson The Pilgrim; CH 77 Union Chapel

4.0 out of 5 stars The passage of time is not always kind., 21 Sept. 2015
I have been a fan of Kris Kristofferson for many years, and have many of these tracks on vinyl, although not live. Unfortunately, as is the case with many singers, his voice has somewhat deteriorated with time. For those fans, and for those who are listening to these songs for the first time, please don't judge them on this performance. Perhaps try the original' SilverTongued Devil and I'. This has several of the same songs on it, but the performance is far superior. Some artists also perform better in the studio than they do live.

Lifelines
Lifelines

4.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn't say that it was fantastic, but very pleasant listening to Andrea's lovely voice ..., 21 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Lifelines (Audio CD)
Quite impressed with this really, as I have not as yet purchased Andrea's other album, and was not quite sure what to expect. I wouldn't say that it was fantastic, but very pleasant listening to Andrea's lovely voice again. I think I will give the other album a try.

THEA GILMORE / AVALANCHE
THEA GILMORE / AVALANCHE
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Finding Thea, 27 Aug. 2015
The start of this review may seem a little strange as the first name to be mentioned is that of Sandy Denny. Why? Many of you younger music lovers may not have heard of Sandy, but many of us older folks believe her to have been one of Britain's greatest singer songwriters, who tragically died so young. There are books about her life, why not read one?

Some years ago Sandy was writin a new album, with words and, in many cases, whole songs written down on scraps of paper, but with no recordings to back them up. The Trustees of Sandy's Estate, including her daughter Georgia, got together with some of the experts who had worked with Sandy, to see if it would be possible to release an album of these unrecorded songs, but one huge problem was that no-one knew what the songs were supposed to sound like, and who on earth could do them justice? Eventually they decided to ask Thea Gilmore, a fan of Sandy's music, if she felt that she could take on the project. She agreed and thank goodness she did.

Being a great Sandy Denny fan, I bought the eventually released album, rather cleverly called 'Don't Stop Singing', released as being by Sandy Denny and Thea Gilmore. I had never heard of Thea Gilmore, and knew nothing about her. After hearing the album, however, I thought the whole thing was brilliant, and I could not think how anyone could have done it better. I therefore decided to buy a Thea Gilmore album, but which one? I liked the cover photo on Liejacker and was intrigued by the title. There are some lovely songs on there, and I wanted to hear more. I now have five of Thea's albums, and the more I listen to them the more amazed I am that I had never heard of her. Is Avalanche her best album, the worst, somewhere in the middle? I really find it very difficutt to say. I feel that all of the albums are really good, and are so different. I love her voice and her style of writing and singing. Each album has some songs I really like, and some which are not quite as strong.

If anyone, just like me, has never heard of Thea Gilmore, and has never heard any of her songs, then why not give her a try? I would suggest perhaps Liejacker, Avalanche or Regardless. Perhaps leave Murphy's Heart until you have heard one of the others.

I know this has turned into more of a review of Thea than Avalanche, but Thea fans will buy Avalanche anyway. This review in a way is intended to help those who love music and would perhaps just like something a little different. Of course this theory is flawed because, if you don't find Thea you will never read this review anyway. Reading other people's reviews has helped me a lot.

Work It Out (Deluxe)
Work It Out (Deluxe)

4.0 out of 5 stars A definite NYAD. New, Young and Different., 27 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Work It Out (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
I took a punt on this one, and while not what I would call brilliant, I was pleasantly surprised. I like Lucy's voice and many of the songs are quite catchy. Everyone has to start somewhere, and I think this is a pretty good start. Probably more 'poppy' than anything but I really enjoyed it. I shall be looking out for the follow-up, as there is bound to be one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9