Profile for J. Surnina > Reviews

Content by J. Surnina

J. Surnina "Book worm" (London)

Breville VKJ271 Polished Colour Select Jug Kettle
Breville VKJ271 Polished Colour Select Jug Kettle

1.0 out of 5 stars Gimmicky and poor quality., 8 May 2012
I bought this kettle a year ago. Within the 1st two weeks the lid had come off completely - it took me quite a while to put it back as it was held by two thin wires. Then it proceeded to come off pretty much every time we tried to re-fill the kettle. As a result the metal coating on the top had been scratched and started peeling revealing plastic underneath which had now turned yellow. The top opening is very small and is impossible to use with Britta filter without spilling half of the water out. I now also notice that the kettle sometimes stops turning itself off when the water reaches the boiling point. However, the light still changes very nicely but do I care? Definitely not! Overall, an incredibly disappointing product for the amount of money paid for it.

Yellow Concave Bagua Mirror
Yellow Concave Bagua Mirror
Offered by CraftStore

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, 2 May 2012
This review is from: Yellow Concave Bagua Mirror
The item arrived well packed. However, as soon as I opened it the mirror just fell out and needed to be reglued. The description states that the frame is made of wood - it is not. It is made of chipboard. Overall looks cheaper than the price it is sold for.

Solar Brite Deluxe Solar Fairy Lights 120 Super Bright White LED Decorative String, choice of light effect. Ideal for Trees, Gardens, Parties & More...
Offered by The Sharper Edge Limited

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing performance, 19 Jan. 2011
We bought these lights to go on our Xmas tree in the garden and had been extremely disappointed with them. The solar battery seems to be very weak - it needs a full day of strong sun to work for 3-4 hours. Half bright winter days seem to only charge it for a very short period of time. Moreover, the lights themselves are quite weak - you can't see them from a distance longer than about 5 meters. As a result, we only saw the lights at the very beginning of each evening and quite dimly at that. Overall, I wish I spent more money and bought a more reliable product.

Travel Sticker Book (Usborne Sticker Books)
Travel Sticker Book (Usborne Sticker Books)
by Fiona Watt

3.0 out of 5 stars Good content, poor execution., 19 Jan. 2011
I bought this book for my 2 year old son. This is the second Usborne sticker book that we have used so I have something to compare with. The content of the book is good and helps to build up my son's vocabulary. However, the stickers are very difficult to peel off and very easy to rip because of how thin the paper is. So overall, not for a small child who can't spend minutes patiently and very carefully peeling off the stickers.

Food of Love, The: Your Formula for Successful Breastfeeding
Food of Love, The: Your Formula for Successful Breastfeeding
by Kate Evans

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I read this book before my son was born, 9 Jun. 2009
Like many I spent most my pregnancy preparing for and fussing about the big day. I was totally unprepared for what came after. The breatsfeeding turned out to be the most difficult and demanding thing I have ever done. I was torn between different advice on how to feed: to have a schedule or not to have one, to let the baby fall asleep on a breast or not, to give him formula supplement at night to make him sleep better or not etc. At one point I got myself so worked up about the fact my son was not fitting into a "normal" baby behaviour (not sleeping through the night when 3 months old, wanting to be fed every 2 hours or less, not wanting to sleep happily on his own in his cot at night) that I had finally dragged myself to a local breastfeeding session. That's where I was recommended to read this book which is apparently the only one based on the latest research on breastfeeding, crying it out method and early baby development (unlike Gina Ford's and many others). It changed my life. It made me feel good about what I was doing and the fact that I was following my instincts rather than sticking to advice based primarily on bottle fed babies and given by men or nurses with no children of their own! This book is a must for everyone who wants to breastfeed and follow the lastest World Health Organisation advice on breatsfeeding.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 29, 2015 10:15 AM GMT