Profile for Mr. G. N. White > Reviews

Content by Mr. G. N. White

Mr. G. N. White "Chalky247" (UK)

Archos 5 Internet Tablet with 500 GB Hard Drive
Archos 5 Internet Tablet with 500 GB Hard Drive

4.0 out of 5 stars Ugly interface but a massive hard drive, 4 Jan 2011
I'd read some really mixed reviews for this product, so bought it with my eyes wide open, so to speak.

We use it solely as a media player, so please read my review accordingly.

I wanted to be able to play music through my stereos in both living room and bedroom; the Archos transmits audio via Bluetooth, so I use two Belkin Bluetooth audio receivers, one on each stereo, and the Archos plays perfectly through either of them, to a range of about 10metres (signal's a bit dodgy once walls get in the way). The only snag is you have to connect to whichever Bluetooth receiver you want to play through, but it's fairly quick to change connections.

The main advantage is the awesomely large hard drive - we've put a couple of hundred CDs plus our entire MP3 collection on there and there's still room to spare.

The media player installed is pretty clunky - building playlists is a chore, as is queuing tracks, but we haven't yet got around to looking for a better app - I'm sure there's one out there.

The only drawback so far is the battery life; after a few hours of playing, it's dead (possibly because the Bluetooth is draining power). We have a USB connector that plugs into a 3-pin household power plug so we leave it charging on there most times, but if you're travelling with it you may want to bear this in mind.

I've used very few other features - I've had a brief look at the internet browser and it seemed OK. There's lots of pre-installed apps which seem a little pointless, and you have very little control over customising the homescreen (or the look of the media player app).

But if you're looking for an embarassingly large hard drive inside a cheapie iPad-esque box, this is pretty good.

A Brit Different: A Guide to the Eccentric Events and Curious Contests of Britain
by Emma Wood

5.0 out of 5 stars Impartial view, 13 Oct 2010
I think this book is amazing. But then, since I'm on the front cover, that's hardly surprising.

Putting my stardom to one side, though, it's actually a jolly good round-up of Britain's weird and wacky events, from the child-friendly to the disgusting (no prizes for guessing which end of the spectrum I favour),

DJ Andy Smith Presents The Trojan Document
DJ Andy Smith Presents The Trojan Document
Offered by Liberty-Star

3.0 out of 5 stars Great tunes - terrible intros, 15 Jan 2010
Couldn't agree more with some of the comments left about this - a really nice selection of tunes and a great romp through ska, dancehall, etc. But the "shout outs" to Andy Smith ruined it for me - I found them really jarring. Besides, I've already bought the product, you don't need to promote it to me!