Profile for lesleys > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
ToView
ToView

3.0 out of 5 stars Not actually catch up!, 15 Oct. 2015
This review is from: ToView (App)
Great for live streaming but there is no facility for 'catching up' on programmes you've missed! I use iPlayer for the BBC but also wanted C4 and ITV - What a shame!

Sebastião Salgado. GENESIS
Sebastião Salgado. GENESIS
by Sebastiao Salgado

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 April 2015
Stunning - a must for any lover of photography!

Trail of Broken Wings
Trail of Broken Wings

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 17 April 2015
An interesting and fairly absorbing book but a bit repetitive at times.

Floradix Liquid Iron and Vitamin Formula  500ml
Floradix Liquid Iron and Vitamin Formula 500ml

5.0 out of 5 stars A great pick me up!, 1 Jun. 2014
I couldn't do without Floradix to keep me going at busy times. Being a liquid formula it's very easily absorbed by your body - much better than tablets. Not the best taste in the world but it's only 10ml twice daily and you soon get used to it! A great product and a great price through Amazon. Highly recommended!

Belkin Dual USB 5V, 1A, iPod/Mini B Wall Adapter
Belkin Dual USB 5V, 1A, iPod/Mini B Wall Adapter
Offered by BESTBUYIT

5.0 out of 5 stars does exactly what it's supposed to!, 1 Jun. 2014
A neat charger that allows you to charge two devices at once. Good quality and it also comes with 2 usb leads - Perfect for the job!

The Silent Wife
The Silent Wife
by A. S. A. Harrison

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to the hype, 8 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Silent Wife (Paperback)
This novel is an easy read with each chapter being headed 'her' or 'him'. As this suggests the story is told in turn from alternate viewpoints.

I found that the book read rather like a psychology self help book, especially in the sections when 'The Silent Wife' Jodi is retrospectively in session with her therapist, and this seeps into the rest of the novel creating some repetition here and there. This is also inevitable I suppose when the same story is being told from two standpoints.

I enjoyed the book and would probably recommend it but I really don't think it lives up to the hype in the blurb on the covers - back and front! I have previously read much more 'engrossing' and 'compelling' books that really did have me 'racing through [it] to find out what happens next'. But then you don't have to take my word for it!

The Morrow Secrets
The Morrow Secrets

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings!, 31 Dec. 2013
I was looking forward to reading this book when I was asked to review it as I really like to read books for children and young adults. I found I had some issues with the writing though as it could be very muddled in places, almost as though a child had written it! Sometimes passages could almost merge into one another as if the author was in such haste to get everything down. I felt that there could have been more moments for pause at least to define where one episode ended and another began. I also thought that some of the prose could be overly descriptive, once again as if written by a child who wanted to cram in as much as possible. I thought that this was unnecessary, a few perfect words would have actually had more impact.

One thing I did really like was the fact that the author didn't shy away from using some lovely long words throughout the novel, which I think is a great way to stretch a child's vocabulary without them really realizing! The theme of the storyline itself was a good concept and overall I enjoyed the book, I just wish that the author had taken more time to edit and re-edit before settling on the final draft. I believe this may be the author's first novel so I am hoping that with her increasing experience she will be able to fine tune the other books in the trilogy before they go to press as I believe there is potential there for a cracking good read!

Queen's Gambit
Queen's Gambit
by Elizabeth Fremantle

4.0 out of 5 stars Queen's Gambit, 3 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Queen's Gambit (Hardcover)
This is a tale of Katherine Parr who was to become the sixth wife of Henry VIII.

It is very much a character based book and flows very well from person to person and chapter to chapter. I like the way the chapters have the place and date as their headings - you know exactly where you are in the story.

The book is written in quite a modern way without really using the style of language of the period. This works well, apart from the odd occasion when I feel the language becomes a bit sloppy and rather too modern - I couldn't see the characters using certain terms or phrases.

The story is very readable and keeps you moving swiftly along, wanting to know what happens to the characters next. The plot itself has plenty of tension, partly due to the Tudor story itself and partly due to Elizabeth Fremantle's embellishment of the facts. You get so wrapped up in the story she has woven you have to remind yourself that this is a novel and not the absolute truth!

It does lose its way slightly towards the end of the book, and there were certain little repetitions here and there which I thought were unnecessary - the reader really doesn't need things spelling out! But these are just niggles as I really rather enjoyed this novel and would certainly recommend it, both to lovers of historical fiction and to those who just enjoy a good yarn.

Wars of the Roses: Stormbird (Wars of the Roses 1)
Wars of the Roses: Stormbird (Wars of the Roses 1)
by Conn Iggulden

5.0 out of 5 stars Compulsive reading!, 3 Nov. 2013
Conn Iggulden's new novel Stormbird is the first of his new Wars of the Roses series.

It is a part of history that I know very little about and Conn Iggulden has certainly whetted my appetite and left me wanting more! His way of writing is very accessible and easy to read whilst being quite literary and in no way sloppy or dumbed down.

All his characters come alive on the page and his descriptions are very evocative, whether dealing with the foul streets of London, moments of torture or the simple flight of arrows. There are many disparate characters and places woven into the story, moving from the nobility in France to the court of King Henry VI and on to the rioting Kentish freemen storming London.

Each chapter deals with more than one storyline at a time. The brilliance of this is that you don't get stuck in the rut of `one chapter one voice' while the clarity of Conn Iggulden's writing means that, amazingly, you don't get confused as to who's who or where they fit into the plot.

This is a compelling, exciting treat and I would wholeheartedly recommend this book to lovers of historical fiction or readers who are considering giving this genre a try. My one and only gripe is that I will have to wait so long before the next instalment!

Others of My Kind
Others of My Kind
by James Sallis

3.0 out of 5 stars A quick read that makes you think!, 5 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Others of My Kind (Paperback)
This is the first James Sallis novel I have read. He writes in what I consider to be a fairly typically American manner, using plenty of acronyms (only one of which gets a translation!) with the prose flowing between paragraphs with little definition in between. Many of the chapters begin with dialogue though this is followed quite promptly with an explanation of who is speaking and the situation - which is a plus!

The story itself seems quite slight with a strangely unemotional take on rather emotive subject matter, although as the book is written in the first person the style obviously reflects the emotions of the protagonist. I believe that this is a book that could stay with the reader because of the way it makes you consider and indeed re-consider your views regarding aspects of human nature and the human psyche.

While I would say this book has in no way become a favourite of mine I do think that it is worth a look, being at the very least a quick read that makes you think!

One thing I would say though; try to refrain from reading the blurb on the back of the book - I feel it gives far too much away!

Page: 1 | 2