Profile for Mark Carter > Reviews

Mark Carter

Population 10 Billion
Population 10 Billion

4.0 out of 5 stars not all doom and gloom!, 13 July 2013
This book is miles apart from the book with a similar title by Stephen Emmott. Emmott's book used shock tactics to panic us whilst offering little in the way of hope. This book is far more measured and makes an attempt to look at the facts. The reality is with birth rates falling population is likely to peak. Further more there really should be enough to go around if only the world was a bit more equitable. The book is not without faults and does tend to flit from subject at times with no clear direction. But there is hope for us all. Perhaps the end of the world is not just around the next corner!

Ten Billion
Ten Billion

1.0 out of 5 stars 10 billion reasons not to buy this book, 1 July 2013
This review is from: Ten Billion (Kindle Edition)
Having read the Guardian article I thought I would give the book a go. It appealed to me as taking on a topic such as the problems faced with a rapidly expanding population seemed a wothwhile cause. What I got was something not that much longer than the article for which I had to pay nothing. The book told me nothing new. There was some pretty pictures and graphs. The old rhetoric on climate change (of which I am neither ardent believer or denier) and some dubious figures about how much water you need to make a burger or a chocolate bar. The advice given by the author in relation to what to do about the impending disaster - teach your children how to use a gun. Please do not buy this book.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 30, 2014 7:00 PM BST