Profile for Catherine Rotte-Murray > Reviews

Content by Catherine Rott...

Catherine Rotte-Murray (Lismore, Ireland)

Elizabeth is Missing
Elizabeth is Missing

4.0 out of 5 stars A terrifying journey through dementia., 13 April 2015
This was a book club choice and I read it over a weekend. It was a very easy read but it was harrowing about the subject matter of dementia. As a health professional (public health nurse) I am dealing with patients with varying levels of dementia and Alzheimer's Disease, and this writer really got into the mind of what I imagine it must be like to have this affliction. I've just done a course on dementia and we were asked to imagine the distress of everything being unfamiliar and people being strangers who tell us they're our children. This was very well done and I loved the clarity of the past contrasted with the confusion of the present.
A nice twist of the plot at the end rounded it off nicely but there was a sense of no resolution as the events had taken place so long beforehand.

The Bolter: Idina Sackville - The Woman Who Scandalised 1920s Society and Became White Mischief's Infamous Seductress

4.0 out of 5 stars A gripping autobiography of a Happy Valley swinger, 7 Dec. 2014
This was a book club read which I wasn't too keen on but I really enjoyed it, evoking Africa as it did, and the lives of another era and another world of the rich and privileged between the wars in the heart of the Empire in the Kenyan colony. The book is littered with names familiar to anyone who's read or seen Out of Africa or White Mischief - and the decadent lifestyles of the Happy Valley set as they alleviated their boredom with weekend hedonism.
The author's use of over flowery descriptive language grates at times, but otherwise it's a ripping good yarn, easily read in a weekend.

You Should Have Known
You Should Have Known

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, page turner and plenty of surprises., 14 Nov. 2014
We read this book for our monthly book club. I should have known reading this book there'd be a lot of denouement sand sure enough there were. A shrink who has the perfect husband and child and life - what could go wrong! Well, read it and prepare to be enthralled. I'm not saying too much more as I got a rap on the knuckles in a previous review that I might have put out a spoiler alert so I am cautious now. I've already got Admission to read on my Kindle, so much do I like this for me new author!

Summer House with Swimming Pool
Summer House with Swimming Pool

5.0 out of 5 stars Chilling family and medical mystery, 21 Sept. 2014
After loving The Dinner this book didn't disappoint. Told in flashback after the euthanasia of a patient the story of the doctor's family tragedy unfolds and takes many twists and turns, to its dramatic end.

The Circle
The Circle

5.0 out of 5 stars 1984 for the Facebook generation, 3 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Circle (Kindle Edition)
A brilliant portrayal of a dystopian utopia, a satirical allegory of the digital world we live in and willingly participate in, and what can happen when we get sucked into the morass. Plenty to relate to, scarily real at times and the totalitarian premise could be a few years down the road if unfettered access isn't reined in regarding privacy and the right to anonymity if we so desire. A gripping page-turner and reading it in digital format compounded the irony.

The Collini Case
The Collini Case

4.0 out of 5 stars Book Club selection June 2014, 9 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Collini Case (Kindle Edition)
A quick read, gripping from the outset,very graphic detail of the murders and Nazi atrocities and reprisals. Terse and succinct prose, yet very descriptive.
Well developed characterisation of the main protagonists.

The Vanishing Point
The Vanishing Point

4.0 out of 5 stars A real page turner!, 10 Sept. 2013
Our book club choice for September 2013 and enjoyed as a good summer page turner for reading on hols or in the back garden in the sun! Great denouement and totally unexpected by me! Loved the twisted ending and started to get suspicious about Scarlett's death when Leanne went missing and never suspected Simon until he went to Romania.
My first Val McDermid book but not my last!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 16, 2013 11:45 AM BST

The Summer Book
The Summer Book

4.0 out of 5 stars Book Club selection, 12 May 2013
This review is from: The Summer Book (Kindle Edition)
I read this e-book as our book club choice for next Monday so I shouldn't be sharing this just yet, but what the heck! It was a lovely easy read, very lyrically written from the perspective of the child Sophia telling of her childhood summers on a small island in Scandinavia somewhere off the coast of Sweden, and her dynamic relationship with her feisty grandmother who is in failing health, yet is up for any adventure the child and she may embark on, including breaking into the new house on a neighbouring island and being disturbed by the owner who invites them in for a drink.
The book evocatively describes the long bright Swedish summer nights and brings the reader into the midst of the stark landscape, and reminders of the harsh winters abound, as they batten down the hatches at the approach of autumn. The book dates from 1972 and seems to be a Swedish contemporary classic. I'm a fan of Scandinavian writing since reading Per Petterson's prize winning Out Stealing Horses some years ago, and this is up there with the best of them.

The Dinner
The Dinner

5.0 out of 5 stars A family saga with a twist - how far would a parent go to protec their child?, 17 April 2013
This review is from: The Dinner (Kindle Edition)
This was our book club choice for April 2013 and I absolutely loved it - I've read a few Dutch books in translation now and they haven't disappointed. I loved the tension and plot of this book and how the characters evolved. It was edge of the seat stuff all the way to the chilling climax.
If you liked Gerbrand Bakker's The Twin and any other Dutch books you'll love this one too. I'd love to read it in Dutch and see if it had the same impact.