Profile for E Kelly > Reviews

Content by E Kelly

E Kelly (Shrewsbury, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Cicero and the End of the Roman Republic (Classical World Series)
Cicero and the End of the Roman Republic (Classical World Series)
by Thomas E. J. Wiedemann

5.0 out of 5 stars Great overview of Cicero and the Fall of the Roman Republic, 20 April 2015
For my Classical Civilisation AS Levels I studied the Life and Works of Cicero. This book was a fantastic base on which to build my revision and research into Cicero. The book itself is very well written and surprisingly concise. Although it does give you quotes directly from Cicero's works it does not delve into them too much so, if like me you read it for exams, you'd have to do more revision into his written work directly.
Still as I said this is a great base to get a solid overview of the fascinating Life and time of Cicero.

FiiO Taishan D03K Digital and Analog Audio Decoder (Coaxial, Optical)
FiiO Taishan D03K Digital and Analog Audio Decoder (Coaxial, Optical)
Offered by AVShop

5.0 out of 5 stars Great solution to getting Digital Audio to Analog output, 20 April 2015
Used to convert the audio out of my Xbox One into my analog high-fi system. I power it off of the Xbox One to via USB so that it only comes on when the Xbox does. Really handy and I've had no issues with it at all.

EVGA Supernova 1000W P2 Modular Platinum Power Supply Unit for PC
EVGA Supernova 1000W P2 Modular Platinum Power Supply Unit for PC

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best Platinum Modular PSU out there, 20 April 2015
When building my new PC I needed a high wattage PSU (I plan on Crossfiring 2 R9 290s), it had to be modular and I also wanted it to be Platinum efficiency. That narrowed it down to this one and a Corsair PSU which was £120 more expensive at the time. I opted for the cheaper option and I'm glad I did. The PSU is absolute quality and I have had no issues with it whatsoever. One criticism is that the GPU power cables are Red, which contrast somewhat in my Black/White build but you can get aftermarket cables to replace them. Still it would have been nice for them to either be Black or for their to be both black and red cables in the box so you can choose.

Highly recommended if, like me, you need a high wattage modular PSU that won't cost the world.

Samsung Slim DVD Writer - Glossy Black
Samsung Slim DVD Writer - Glossy Black
Offered by EU Digital

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, slim and does the job, 20 April 2015
Bought to use with a Ultrabook that doesn't have a CD drive, does the job brilliantly and I was surprised by just how slim it really is.

PThink® 0.3mm Ultra-thin Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Sony Xperia Z2 with 9H Hardness/Anti-scratch/Fingerprint resistant (Sony Xperia Z2)
Offered by PThink UK Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but Quality, 20 April 2015
Fantastic screen protector, as someone who is used to the very thin and flimsy cheaper offerings I was surprised by just how good this product felt. It's nice and thick but not so much as it would be a problem and the rigidity confirms that it is glass and not plastic. I am very confident now that my Z2's screen is very highly protected.

LINDY USB 2.0 Audio Adapter
LINDY USB 2.0 Audio Adapter
Offered by Renshaw House

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what is says it will, 20 April 2015
My soundcard died not too long ago and I needed something to keep me going in the meantime until I can get another. This is cheap and cheerful but does its job well, don't expect great quality out of it either.

[AIR CUSHION] Spigen Sony Xperia Z2 Case ULTRA HYBRID [Crystal Clear] Scratch Resistant Bumper Case with Clear Back Panel for Sony Xperia Z2 (2014) - Crystal Clear (SGP10833)
Offered by Spigen UK Store

4.0 out of 5 stars Great clear case to show off your Z2, 20 April 2015
I love this case, the only drawback is the rather loose softer plastic just above the charging flap on the left side. However when I add a nice thick screen protector on top I am confident my Z2 is safe if I dropped it.
One hint is that there are two protective clear plastic covers on the case that need to be removed, don't do what I did and not notice this for a month.

AQA History AS: Unit 1- The Development of Germany, 1871-1925
AQA History AS: Unit 1- The Development of Germany, 1871-1925
by Sally Waller

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Revision Aid, 20 April 2015
I did this unit for my AS Levels, the book is very well laid out making it very easy to read and make notes from. It also includes all the vital information you need to know and will need for the exam. It does however only include a few specific examples of certain events so some extra reading outside of this will still be needed to get you the highest grades possible. If you consider this as a solid base on which you can add further revision then this textbook is fantastic and highly recommended; it also helps that it's officially endorsed by AQA and written by those examiners who set the questions.

Cherry MX Switch Sampler
Cherry MX Switch Sampler
Offered by The Keyboard Company

4.0 out of 5 stars A must for any potential keyboard buyers, 24 Aug. 2014
If, like me, you want a mechanical keyboard but don't know what switch to get then this is an absolute must. Prior to buying I knew I didn't want Blues (as I didn't want a clicky switch) and, from what I had read online was leaning towards Reds. However after trying the Red on this sampler for a good amount of time I quickly found it far too light, the tactile bump on Browns was also stronger than I thought it would be and I didn't like the feeling. I had mostly dismissed Blacks because I had read they were very stiff however I found them to be the perfect switch for me. I've since ordered a board with Blacks and it's all down to this sampler helping me.

I knocked off a star because, although it does its job perfectly, it is pretty expensive for what you're getting.

Total War Rome II (PC DVD)
Total War Rome II (PC DVD)
Offered by just-the-games

2.0 out of 5 stars Still not impressed, 6 May 2014
I know there's probably not much point to writing a review for a game that has already been out for a while and had been roundly criticised but I feel I owe it to myself to atleast share my dissatisfaction.

Rome 2 is a massive disappointment, I had this feeling the day it came out and I have it now. As a Total War veteran (I played the original Shogun way back in 2000) I feel the game was not targeted to me at all, however the "streamlined" experience was not easy enough for the audience Creative Assembly wanted to attract and thus left the game in an unfocused limbo.

The most frustrating thing about the game is that there IS a good game just wanting to burst out. The campaign, although poor overall, has some very interesting mechanics and the battles are still as fun as always (especially when you can get mods to adjust the insane speed of them to a more slower realistic fashion).

Rome 2 has left a sour taste in my mouth, it felt unfinished at release and, in a way, it still does. It felt like, once Creative Assembly got all those pre-orders they cut and run. I'm pretty sceptical about future releases from them and, although Total War will ALWAYS have a place in my heart, I can't imagine me pre-ordering another one again.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3