Profile for Welsh Wizard > Reviews

Content by Welsh Wizard

Welsh Wizard (The Graveyard Of Ambition)

Page: 1 | 2
MediaDevil Artisanphonics EB-01 premium wood earphones with built-in microphone
MediaDevil Artisanphonics EB-01 premium wood earphones with built-in microphone
Offered by MediaDevil
Price: 59.97

5.0 out of 5 stars An Unexpected Surprise, 23 Mar 2014
I was looking for IEM's to tide me over while my much loved Monster Turbine Pro Coppers (I know, there's no accounting for taste!) were being replaced under warranty when I stumbled upon MediaDevil's Artisanphonics EB-01 earphones. I hadn't heard anything about the EB-01's, but just by reading the approving reviews it was obvious that buyers were more pleased with these earphones than those I had already shortlisted. I took a chance and ordered my EB-01's at 3.30 pm one day and they were delivered the following morning!

Every now and then a seller comes along and provides amazing service and a high quality product. This was one of those occasions. MediaDevil's earphones are beautifully made from recycled wood and some classy electronics. Tangle-resistant cabling and strain relief connections are very good, with only minor microphonics. The earphones were a little bass heavy at first but the treble improved with only 10 hours burn-in, to rival the sound of earphones 5 times their price. At the discounted price these are an absolute bargain, and I wish MediaDevil a very successful future.

The Lost Boys
The Lost Boys
Price: 5.71

4.0 out of 5 stars Now That's What I Call A Soundtrack!, 14 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Lost Boys (Audio CD)
Every track is a gem, coming together to make one of the very best 80's soundtracks. The album doesn't need to rely on two or three headline tracks that was the formula for most of it's rivals. My one criticism is that the cd DESPERATELY needs remastering. If someone still has the original tapes, please get to work on this album and I'll gladly buy another copy.

ELO Part II Live
ELO Part II Live

3.0 out of 5 stars A Very Mixed Bag, 21 May 2010
This review is from: ELO Part II Live (Audio CD)
I've never sat down to write a review when I'm so undecided about the album I'm reviewing. I've been an ELO fan since 1977, and I really want to like this live double cd album even taking into account the changed line-up that is ELO II.

However, Messrs. Troyer et al make a bit of a pig's ear of the first 15 seconds or so of almost every track, then seem to get it together again towards the first chorus and finish confidently. You have to admire the guts to take on a track like Standing In The Rain and 'just about' pull it off, but I can't help but get the underlying feeling that I'm listening to a bunch of session musicians jamming their way through classic songs. Considering that the band is underpinned by Bev Bevan's drumming and Louis Clark's arrangements this should not be the case.

A brave effort, but must try harder.

Karl Jenkins - Quirk
Karl Jenkins - Quirk
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 12.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirk By Name, Less Quirky By Nature, 5 Nov 2008
This review is from: Karl Jenkins - Quirk (Audio CD)
I should start my review by saying that as a Welshman living just a stone's throw from Karl Jenkins' home, I may be slightly biased but I'll try to give as balanced a view as possible.

There's certainly less of an ethnic feel to this latest release, and despite the ravings of a fellow reviewer here, the orchestrations sound fine to me (and before the one star reviewer asks, yes I am a classically trained musician).

Those of you who have enjoyed the recent Stabat Mater, the Armed Man etc will thoroughly enjoy Quirk. I'm fairly sure the decision to include Palladio was made by the marketing dept of the record company, and though I feel it's been done to death it's nice to have the 'definitive' version here.

Quirk loses a star from me simply to keep Mr. Jenkins composing in the attempt to gain an elusive fifth star with his next CD!

That Lucky Old Sun
That Lucky Old Sun
Price: 8.13

4.0 out of 5 stars Please Sir, Can I Have Some More?, 13 Sep 2008
This review is from: That Lucky Old Sun (Audio CD)
This will prove to be a favourite of Brian Wilson's solo albums, with some memorable tracks that will become standards. The writing duties are shared in the main with Scott Bennett, a long-standing member of Brian's touring lineup. With Van Dyke Parks providing lyrics and some narrative sections, you'd think the combination couldn't fail to achieve 5 stars, but surely there could have been just a little more content? At a mere 38 minutes, this offering will leave you wanting more.

Melody
Melody
Offered by Giant Entertainment
Price: 3.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet And Short, 26 July 2008
This review is from: Melody (Audio CD)
A very good first solo album that bravely moves away from the traditional Texas sound. There's a Northern Soul feel to most of the tracks, but occasionally the sound drifts away from being a tribute to being derivative - if you think some of the riffs/lyrics are familiar it's because you really have heard them before!
Overall, Melody is a very professional release and something that Ms. Spiteri can be proud of, though maybe she will make her next CD slightly longer than the 37 and a half minutes that is provided here.

In Silico
In Silico
Price: 4.79

3.0 out of 5 stars Get A Decent Producer, 24 May 2008
This review is from: In Silico (Audio CD)
This is the first Pendulum music i've heard, bought completely on impulse. Pendulum prove to be a difficult group to categorise, and each of the 10 tracks has something to offer. The overall production of the album's sound is poor though, with a compressed feel that really doesn't suit the soundscape that Pendulum are obviously aiming for. A decent CD, but not one that'll stay in my player long.

Guitar Moods : The Most Uplifting Guitar Classics of All Time
Guitar Moods : The Most Uplifting Guitar Classics of All Time
Offered by Music-Club
Price: 37.90

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm........., 3 Feb 2008
Cheddar, Wensleydale, Gruyere, Edam...... four names that will probably evoke less of a cheesy atmosphere than listening to this set of three CD's!

A brave attempt to provide cover versions of a range of tracks. Some are quite good, but I wouldn't recommend listening to the discs from start to finish as you'll probably develop an allergy to some dairy products.

Complete Clapton
Complete Clapton
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Incomplete Clapton, but a great taster...., 18 Oct 2007
This review is from: Complete Clapton (Audio CD)
I have to start my review by agreeing with those writers who've stated that this is primarily a greatest hits album, but then find myself asking how exactly do you fit 40 years output onto two compact discs??

The majority of people reading these reviews will ask 'John who?' when asked about John Mayall, and I don't say that to slight my readers in any way at all, honestly!

If you are thinking of getting into Mr. Clapton there is no better way to start than with this double album. The majority of his hits are included here, and if it gives you a taste to search out what is now a huge back catalogue then I would imagine that Eric, his recording company, and those who quite correctly describe this collection as incomplete will all benefit.

Buy it, enjoy it, then buy some of his older stuff - you'll find something to love on every solo and collaborative album. Who knows, maybe some people will become more aware of John Mayall, Bluesbreakers, Cream....

Lady's Bridge
Lady's Bridge
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 5.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Made In Sheffield, 23 Aug 2007
This review is from: Lady's Bridge (Audio CD)
11 tracks of timeless near-perfection. Don't buy this in the hope of finding the latest dance album - put the disc in your cd player, press play, feel disappointed because everything goes quiet after track 11 and then wonder where the last 48 minutes and 26 seconds went!

As good as Coles Corner? Without doubt. Lady's Bridge only loses a star from me because there's a lack of invention. Mr. Hawley's found a formula that works, but who can really blame him for turning out more of the same?

Page: 1 | 2