Profile for Mr. Iain Cathro > Reviews

Content by Mr. Iain Cathro

Mr. Iain Cathro "icathro" (Scotand)

Construction Claims and Responses: Effective Writing and Presentation
Construction Claims and Responses: Effective Writing and Presentation

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 4 Jun 2014
This is an excellent book. I confess having little patience people who write books such as this from academia who have no idea of what life is really like on site. However, this book is written by someone who clearly knows the reality of working in the Construction Industry and is an expert on preparing and defending claims. When the classy, stupendous Roger Knowles writes the introduction he has and recommends the author, it has to be worth reading. And it did not disappoint.

It really is one of the best books I've read on the subject, and I thoroughly recommend it.

A Contractor's Guide to the FIDIC Conditions of Contract
A Contractor's Guide to the FIDIC Conditions of Contract

5.0 out of 5 stars Contractor's view, 28 Nov 2013
An excellent, practical guide from a hands on practitioner who clearly knows what he's talking about. Written in plain English and avoiding legal jargon; for once I ddn't need a latin dictionary alongside when reading it. Writer cites several potential pitfalls a wise contractor will seek to avoid. The author is obviously an experienced engineer with a really good understanding of the basic, but ofter overlooked, essentials when setting up and managing an Engineering project. I can understand why employers will increasingly migrate away from NEC towards FIDIC (for reasons which are fairly obvious) so this book is essential reading for those of us who have been on an NEC diet for the past number of years. Well written. Thoroughly recommended.

From Pride to Love
From Pride to Love

5.0 out of 5 stars Rubber hits the road, 3 Jan 2013
Most people are reading a book like this for a reason. For me I recognise the problem and am looking for solutions. Initially I was frustrated with this book as the author seemed to me at least to be jumping all over the place, and I like structure. I was tempted to give it up, but thankfully I stuck with it. If for no other reason it should be read as the author is one of those who has paid the price and is an insparation for those of us who have yet to get to that point, but who want to.

Breaking Pride - Tearing Down Walls, Walking in His Grace
Breaking Pride - Tearing Down Walls, Walking in His Grace

5.0 out of 5 stars Real, 18 Dec 2012
The book seems to have been written from real experience. Why was I reading this book? Because although I'd experienced a "breaking" event in my life which had caused me to directly confront the subject matter before, I had once again been decieved. By the grace of God He showed me fairly directly the state I was in, by His grace He had in the weeks before got me to a place where I could receive His correction. As I walked away from Church that day, I was saying "I give up." Precisely! In Chapter 4 the author says that's exactly what we must do!

I liked this book because it's readable and it's real. I'm looking for others which deal with the subject matter in a bit more depth, but this is a very good start.

50 People Who Buggered Up Britain
50 People Who Buggered Up Britain

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on, 13 July 2011
Witty dialogue about how our once Great Nation has been broken. There should be no debate about the state of the Nation - it is there for all to see - all of us, that is, that live in the real World. Politicians are frightened to admit it. After all, they, together with their liberal elite Oxbridge educated media friends, are the ones who created the mess. Those of us who tried to warn them, who tried to persuade them to see sense, are labelled, a la Gordon Brown, bigots. But political correctness, like Nazism, will eventually lead to the complete destruction of our Nation - and those same Oxbridge educated liberal fools will not be immune from the whirlwind they have sown. Throw pearls to swine and reap the consequences.

Brilliant little book. Enjoyed it and thoroughly recommend it.

The Retreat of Reason: Political Correctness and the Corruption of Public Debate in Modern Britain (Second Edition)
by Anthony Browne

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Read, 28 Nov 2009
Anyone who is concerned about the state of the UK - should read this AND do something about it. Evil flourishes when good men do nothing!

Holocaust: The Liberation Of Majdanek [DVD]
Holocaust: The Liberation Of Majdanek [DVD]
Dvd ~ Holocaust

3.0 out of 5 stars Evil, 9 Jan 2006
Although not the best quality, an amazing historical and factual film on the liberation of a Majdanek, and the subsequent trial and execution of 3 SS men and 1 Kapo.

The Victorian Kitchen Garden [DVD]
The Victorian Kitchen Garden [DVD]
Dvd ~ Keith Sheather

5.0 out of 5 stars The way it was, 27 Dec 2005
If this is not the best documentary I've ever seen I cannot remember any better. Superb. Anyone who loves gardening must see this.