Profile for Russboy > Reviews

Content by Russboy

Russboy "Unbiased reviewer" (UK)

Gangsters - Complete Series [DVD]
Gangsters - Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Maurice Colbourne

4.0 out of 5 stars Manage your expectations by understanding what you are watching, 20 April 2011
I watched Gangsters as teenager back in the 70's when it was first screened. It was great news when I saw the DVD release.
I had not realised there was a second season and was looking forward to seeing it for the first time, after watching the Play for Today and Season One again.

Play for Today and Season one were how I remembered, a gritty and for the time quite daring in terms of sex, violence, and drug use.

I started watching Season 2 and thought what on earth am I watching? I suspect I may have watched the beginning of Season 2 in the 70's but gave up as it was so poor. But in reality was it? Philip Martin stated he did not want Gangsters to be like a normal cops and robbers show, and by making season 2 a parody of season 1 it was a brilliant concept. The problem I guess is that too few realised or understood this.

The best way to compare is like watching Arthur Hailey's Airport (1970) with Burt Lancaster and Dean Martin. If the sequel had been Airplane with Leslie Nielsen,you would have been lost in the bizarre plot. But this is what season 2 is, a parody of Season 1.

So then viewing Season 2 from a different perspective, it was in fact quite brilliant.

Elizabeth Cassidy's final scene and words and the wide shot of the studio was a clever end, and the scene of racism in Britain depicted with Khan's father getting beaten up demonstrated 70's Britain was not that far removed.

Additionally Philip Martin was not only an excellent writer, he also showed himself as a talented actor as well.

Watch it for what it was intended for, especially the Season 2 parody of Season 1 and enjoy!

The Payback
The Payback
by Simon Kernick

5.0 out of 5 stars These should be made for Television, 19 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Payback (Hardcover)
I am a big Simon Kernick fan and my first read, Relentless got me hooked. Having read all the books in paperback and not in the correct sequence, I then bought them all in hardback to collect and read again in sequence. You then see the underlying plot so by the time I finished The Last Ten Seconds, I was eagerly awaiting The Payback. It did not disappoint. Bought the book before boarding the train in London on Thursday morning and actually finished reading prior to starting work on Friday morning. It really does get you hooked.
I guess if you have read all the other books, you could probably guess what the outcome would be, but the way Simon Kernick links the characters and plot is very skillful. The book is full of pace, great writing style that you forget you are reading and feel that you are living it.
I like Harlan Koben immensely, but Simon Kernick is something else. This book is also different as the action takes place overseas rather than in London or the home counties, but it is still excellent.
It would be fantastic if his stories were commissioned for TV drama's.

Manhunt - The Complete Series [DVD] [1970]
Manhunt - The Complete Series [DVD] [1970]
Dvd ~ Peter Barkworth

5.0 out of 5 stars Trip down memory lane, 25 Jan 2010
Perhaps not quite a trip down memory lane as I was only 10 when this first aired on a Friday night on LWT. I do remember as kids when we played
war and soldier games, no one wanted to be "The Bosch"
Got as a Christmas present and I think if you watch the series remembering it was made without all the special effects
and editing available today, it stands up quite well. Peter Barkworth is excellent as Vincent as is Philip Madoc as Lutzig.
However the star of the show is Robert Hardy as Gratz. Such a deep and complex character, too clever for his own side.
The story leads to the expected ending however a clever twist at the end does ask "Was it all worth it".
Thoroughly enjoyable piece of drama that 40 years on, I am pleased to have watched.

LG 22LS4 - 22" Widescreen HD Ready LCD TV with Freeview
LG 22LS4 - 22" Widescreen HD Ready LCD TV with Freeview

1.0 out of 5 stars If you want sound this is not for you, 13 May 2008
Bought one of these from Currys and fixed to the wall. Good picture but the sound is the worst I have ever heard. Not a fault with the TV but the speakers contained within. Very tinny. No headphone socket so quite awkward to fix up separate speakers. returned to Currys and changed for Polaroid, which is surprisingly good and has a headphone socket although the sound on the Polaroid is fairly good.