Profile for James Stevens > Reviews

Psychoville Series 1 and 2 [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Reece Sheersmith
Offered by ____THE_BEST_ON_DVD____

1.0 out of 5 stars Not truly region free, 9 Jan. 2013
Although this set says it is region free on this site it is not fully compatible. Only the logos will play in a U.S. region free player. (Mine is a sony that plays other region free titles advertised on this site.) After the logos the disc will just shut off. It is a 50hz 60hz frame rate issue I think. Unfortunate as this was a good show.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 7, 2014 5:31 AM BST

Horror, Sex & Violence Collection (Arrow Videos 10 disc Blu-Ray Classic Series) - Amazon Exclusive
Dvd ~ Various

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good set, great value, 18 July 2012
After hearing so much criticism over these arrow releases I decided that the most convenient way of taking the plunge with these films would be to try buying this 10 film set. I wasn't dissapointed. It is great value for the money. (even when you take into account the purchase denial of owning 'vamp' a film I still havent watched)

I can still see where some of the criticism comes from (there are noticeable compression issues esspecially on the fulci films ['city of the living dead' is of particular note as I have the Blue Underground version also and can detect the visible noise]) but with all cons aside Arrow have really put some good background work into these releases and some of the films have never looked better and maybe never will. I don't know how many labels are going to take the time to even do half as good a job as Arrow have done since many people still think these films have no value.

'Bay of Blood','Tenebrae','The Beyond' and 'Inferno' are particularily striking. Another thing people harldy comment on is the sound. Some of these films have a far better sound quality than some of the other labels releases (such as Blue Underground, though I like them too they tend to have lower bitrates soundwise) For example, all three audio tracks on 'Inferno' are DTS quality and it shows (I admit I like Blue Underground's video and colour much better though on that release).

Also, I give Arrow more good marks since I did unfortunately receive the 'bad disc' of 'The Beyond' within this set. I followed the replacement disc instructions, sent them a message the next day, and I recieved my replacement in less than 4 business days. I live in Canada also so it was quite a surprisingly quick transaction.

Thank you Arrow Video, and thanks amazon.co.uk

From a Happy Customer

93/93
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 21, 2012 10:11 PM BST

Magick Lantern Cycle  (DVD + Blu-Ray)
Magick Lantern Cycle (DVD + Blu-Ray)
Dvd ~ Kenneth Anger

5.0 out of 5 stars Magick Lantern Cycle REGION A Blu Ray DISC, 1 July 2012
Another Excellent collection released by the BFI on Blu-Ray. Just thought I should write to correct widely miss-advertised Region B/2 labeling.

The DVD disc is region 0 and played in my U.S. XboX, and the blu ray disc must be REGION A as it played in my cheap sony which is playstation equivalent.

Lost Tapes Box Set
Lost Tapes Box Set

4.0 out of 5 stars should get 5 Stars for music but packaging is another let down., 26 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Lost Tapes Box Set (Audio CD)
This limited edition 10" by 10" box set looked very nice at first glance. very excited to open it up only to find, once again, three lousy carboard slot impressions for the discs.... lots of dust and paper particles covering the playing surfaces. 2 of the discs firmly placed one on top of the other (obviously a warehouse packaging mistake (the second disc didnt miracle its way into being in a fixed position), and then the third disc was left bouncing & scraping around only to be very very scratched up. I am not the type who whines a lot when I get a cd/dvd/bluray with a single dent or what not. typically they play fine but this was a an ugly disaster coupled with quite a let down on a much anticipated box. I hope the record industry starts to wake up and stop throwing cds in cardboard slots etc. especially as a cost cutting measure on larger sets. I hoped for more from Spoon records. I expect the worst from pink floyd who I will probably never by a box set of.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 22, 2013 4:57 PM GMT