Profile for Triffid > Reviews

Content by Triffid

Triffid

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey (PS3)
IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey (PS3)

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy if....., 8 Sept. 2009
Configuration:

I use a ps3 joystick: Thrustmaster Hotas X (rudder control on thrust ok, hat switch to look, cheap and does not work well with game, if only it was analogue).

Mode: realistic and simulation. Cockpit only.

Review:

The game is beautiful, the best landscapes for a flight sim so far. But these issues impede my enjoyment, and game longevity:

Situational awareness is poor. The thrustmaster hotas hat switch (or on ps3 controller, D-Pad) for looking gives a 90 degree rotation, and due the non-analogue nature you cannot view, for example, at 45 degrees and stare into the distance.

Constant screen tearing when looking around (left and right).

Limited configuration. Not possible for simulation mode flying with enemy tagging to get around the poor situation awareness.

For PC, I have il2, with rudder pedals and tracker and cougar so had expectations.

Recommendation:

rent, or buy it for the 7 year old (for mind development and to distract from lego starwars).

wait for the PC Storm of War: BoB.

Or if the (mythical) ps3 eyetracker was used with il2:BOP...I would be happy.

Conclusion:

Ps3 hardware and software limitations prevent good situational awareness and game immersion. It was nearly there................
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2010 8:51 PM GMT

The Selfish Gene
The Selfish Gene
by Richard Dawkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and challenging, 12 Sept. 2003
This review is from: The Selfish Gene (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book for many reasons. The subject is interesting and the use of language is simple although I did get confused on a few occasions as the ideas are new to me. I really enjoyed Dawkin's brutality when came to dimissing the ideas of others (I can only dream of attaining this type of confidence). I also found his humour refreshing as normally books like this can be dry. I found myself laughing out loud on so many occasions. This book is entertaining on so many levels.