Profile for M. O'Toole > Reviews

Content by M. O'Toole

M. O'Toole "Avid Reader" (Ardee, Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2
Fair Game: An Alpha and Omega novel
Fair Game: An Alpha and Omega novel
by Patricia Briggs

5.0 out of 5 stars So, so, so good!, 12 Mar 2012
Patricia Briggs has been on my autobuy list for a long time, and this book is no exception. I literally could not put it down, and read it from start to finish in one sitting, despite having loads of other stuff to be doing. The character development and relationship insights are, as always, top-notch, but this book also adds some strong new "good guys" and not so good (Hally!) characters, all around a decent plot, and a gripping finale. As other reviewers have commented, the only downside of how the book ended is the wait to find out what happens next.

Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, Book 5) (Kate Daniels Novels)
Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, Book 5) (Kate Daniels Novels)
by Ilona Andrews
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Always brilliant - and this one is REALLY brilliant!, 9 Jun 2011
I'm not going to do a spoiler review as many others have done here, I just wanted to add my voice to those giving this book a 5-star review! This is the best urban fantasy series out there, Kate is the best heroine, Curran & Kate is the best romance, and the cast of characters is extraordinary. This book adds in new twists, new characters, develops relationships, develops existing characters, and is beautifully written. I foolishly started reading it at 8pm on the night I got it, and could not put it down until I finished it at 00:40, exhausted and exhilarated. What a book!

Magic in the Blood (Allie Beckstrom Novels)
Magic in the Blood (Allie Beckstrom Novels)
by Devon Monk

1.0 out of 5 stars Not great, 12 Aug 2010
I bought books 1 and 2 of this series, and only read the second because I owned it and had nothing else to read. For those looking for an urban fantasy series with a bit of romance, there are MUCH better offerings out there.

The lead character is whiny and irritating with Daddy issues. She suffers from memory loss which lead to a lot of tedious repetition. The hero is a pain - the strong silent type is all very well and good, but not when he tends towards fake mystery and lies.

Really didn't enjoy this, and wouldn't recommend it.

Waking The Witch: Number 11 in series (Otherworld)
Waking The Witch: Number 11 in series (Otherworld)
by Kelley Armstrong

1.0 out of 5 stars Gutted - this is not up the usual standard, 12 Aug 2010
I was so disappointed with this book - it feels like someone read of all of Kelley Armstrong's books, and tried to write a sequel in her absence. Other favoured characters in the series are mentioned briefly, but do not make an appearance as such. The characterisations are weak, the story is weak, and the ending not only should have "To be continued...." written after it, but is so sudden, its as if the author suddenly remembered having something better to do.

In manys the other Otherworld books can be read standalone. This one can too, but the ending appears to be trying to turn the books into a "proper" linked series - but really badly done.

Kelley Armstrong has been on my auto-buy list for years, and this is the first time I have regretted the purchase. Must do better.

Coming Up Next
Coming Up Next
by Penny Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars Got it free & it was still too expensive......, 17 Mar 2010
This review is from: Coming Up Next (Paperback)
I got this free with a magazine, and I thought "how bad can it be?". It was an expensive use of the 2 hours it took me to read. I couldn't not finish it as I had nothing else to read, and kept hoping it would get better, and yet it was so irritating it put my blood pressure up. On the upside, Bob does sound gorgeous, even though he's a wuss, and should have stayed away from the "heroine". On the downside, everyone else is a pain, and the plot is rubbish. It seems that Penny Smith is a Fiona Walker fan, and believes in imitating that which she enjoys. Unfortunately she does the pun and fun writing really badly. She also appears to have been told that she had to write a book with a sequel, so there is no end to this drivel, only a teaser for the next book. Aaarrghh - I want my two hours back please.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 2, 2010 5:29 PM BST

Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels Novels)
Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels Novels)
by Ilona Andrews

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic!, 4 April 2009
I had so much to do this morning, but I foolishly picked up this book, which I got late yesterday, thinking to just read a couple of chapters while I had a cup of tea.

3 hours has now passed, my child is hungry, my kitchen is still wreaked, but I've finished the best book I've read in months.

If you haven't read the first two, do that first, you'll spoil it if you don't.

One last thought - I understand and appreciate that fabulous books are worth waiting for, but please don't keep us waiting so long for the next one...

An Ice Cold Grave
An Ice Cold Grave
by Charlaine Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't have imagined giving Charaline Harris a 3 before....., 14 Jan 2009
This review is from: An Ice Cold Grave (Hardcover)
Other reviewers have commented on the predictability of this series of books. The plot is more or less the same in each, and although as well written as the Southern Vampire books, this "find the bodies, nobody believes they're uninvolved except the real killer, uncover the real killer after being attacked" repeating loop is already a bit old for me.

That for me wasn't the big problem with this book. That was the developing relationship between the two main characters, and my first reaction was yeuch, and that didn't change. I know they're not really brother and sister by blood, and they only became part of the same family as teens, but really, yeuch. Really disappointed with this series. Can't wait for the next Southern Vampire book.

Witch Fire (Berkley Sensation)
Witch Fire (Berkley Sensation)
by Anya Bast

1.0 out of 5 stars If it was possible to give no stars....., 20 Dec 2008
This is the second-worst book I've read in a long time. (see Christine Warren's One Bite with a Stranger for the worst). All of my auto-buy authors seem to be between books, and won't be publishing until early in the new year, so I'm desperately searching for new stuff, and unfortunately found this.

Badly written, with stodgy descriptions, wooden characters, boring sex and a seriously weak plot. If I had known what it was like in advance, I wouldn't have read it from a library, never mind paid money for it.

Apparently the next one is going to be better, but this author just made my auto-not-buy list.

Cry Wolf: An Alpha and Omega Novel (Alpha and Omega Novels)
Cry Wolf: An Alpha and Omega Novel (Alpha and Omega Novels)
by Patricia Briggs

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great story, 20 Dec 2008
I've loved the Mercy stories, and was really looking forward to this book, and it didn't disappoint. Other reviewers have covered the story line, and mentioned the characters so I won't recap.

What I really enjoyed was the differences between this and the Mercy stories. Anna is a very different heroine, but as unique in her own way, and with a strength all her own. Charles is as one character says "a thug", but in this book, through her trademark wonderful characterisations, Briggs has allowed his social awkwardness and vulnerability to come through. This rounds out his character for me, and makes him far more appealing.

This is not just a romance though, it has a strong plot, and a strong cast of characters, no graphic sex scenes (a major plus in this genre), and a writing style I like a lot. Highly recommended.

One Bite with a Stranger
One Bite with a Stranger
by Christine Warren
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

1.0 out of 5 stars Lots of mundane, boring sex, little or no story, plot or humour, 28 Nov 2008
This is by far the worst Christine Warren book I have read. The first sex scene starts about 5 pages in, and ends on page 103 - and its boring. The story is very weak, with a "bad guy" (girl) who is defeated in two pages right at the end, having barely been alluded to during the book. It is set before the rest of the "Others" stories, so the infrequent mention of familiar characters is disorientating rather than interesting. All this and a heroine who describes herself as a strong woman, yet cries at the drop of a hat, and a vampire "hero" who uses mind control to get the heroine into bed within minutes of meeting her - way too close to rape to be remotely appealing. A total waste of both money buying it, and time reading it.

Page: 1 | 2