Profile for Linda Vanner > Reviews

The Final Testament
by James Frey
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent but bound to be uncomfortable, 15 July 2012
This review is from: The Final Testament (Paperback)
I bought this book, as A Million Little Pieces actually did make a friend of mine face Alchoholism and gave them inspiration to think more deeply about learned behaviour. And to me, that's a good enough step! So I was intrigued by what Frey had going on in his head this time. I had to read it 3 times, to ponder and reflect on the messages within. Yes it does challenge organised religion, and about time! Who dictates what is right and wrong? Not every religion's diety that's for sure as no one has actually met them!! The fundamental message I got from the book and Ben Zion is that deep down we all know what is right and wrong morally if we have the courage to listen to our souls and living that way is fine. Yes, Organised religion is a human production designed to control. No one knows, Christian, Muslim,Jewish, Scientologists, Anyone!!! They all blindly follow man made rules and kill, maim, judge and hate in the name of it! Their books and rules are no less of a work of fiction than this book. I was raised as a Christian and fundamentally, I have taken comfort from my inbuilt beleifs but have never fully bought into it, something was always missing. If I failed at marraige (I did) had a child out of wedlock (I did) had been a wild child in my youth (Iwas) am I less of a Christian, do I need saving or I will be cast into hell and Damnation? This book answered many of my questions, in times of great grief, when I lost a loved one and over the 3 years my baby girl was critically ill, I felt a feeling of love and greater good that gave me the strenght to continue, I went to Church but I wasn't sure that it was there that I got it. To me, this book answers my questions and I am happy with the message and how I live my life. Controversial? Yes! But whilst he questions religion he never condemns anyone for following any faith. To me, that's the message. Not Fighting, Condemning, Shame, Killing. If Ben Zion ever appears I'll make the man a nice cup of tea and give him a hug! Sure as hell worked for me, Read it!!!! Never forget the atrocoties comitted over the years in the name of religion.