Profile for boredwiththis > Reviews

Schoenhut Oak Mahogany Ukulele
Schoenhut Oak Mahogany Ukulele
Price: 34.99

1.0 out of 5 stars AVOID AVOID AVOID!!, 12 July 2014
I review ukuleles and play one in a band too , and have now probably played hundreds of individual instruments over the last few years. I started to note that uke players were buying these to check them out as they DO seem to be a bit of a bargain.

Please please though - avoid! The tuners on mine were on the verge of being broken on arrival as the plastic is so soft. I had to change them as the pegs turned on the spindles without anything happening after a day.

The stock strings are the worst I have ever played on a beginner instrument, and that is saying something!

I recently took mine on a fortnight holiday as a uke I didn't care if it got damaged in transit. In two weeks play, the strings are wearing the frets away, meaning that in a short time frame the instrument will become a useless ornament. The bridge is also coming away from the top.

There are better reliable beginners ukes out there for similar money if your budget is tight, such as the Makala Dolphin and the Octopus. This is NOT a reliable uke - it is a joke instrument

The Terror
The Terror
Offered by Leisurezone
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A step forward - an important Lips album, 5 April 2013
This review is from: The Terror (Audio CD)
Lifelong Lips fan and owner of the full catalogue, and somewhat surprised by the low votes on this one. I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

A quick word on that. Anyone who heard Embryonic, Heady Fwendz and the various other one off vids the band put out in the last year or two should surely have seen the direction they were taking. This is no departure. Yes, it's wildly different from Yoshimi and Mystics, but THEY were the departures from the norm.

The Terror for me shares much with Zaireeka, and it's sibling, The Soft Bulletin - both sonically and in the themes it covers (fear, breakdown, loss). In fact on some tracks, the similarities are quite striking I found. Last year the band performed a series of special shows in which they performed the whole of Bulletin, including some tracks they had never performed live before. That album was recorded at an important time for the band, and is linked to some painful memories. In some performances, Wayne Coyne was visibly distressed and tearful on stage. Could those performances have influenced The Terror?

It's a stark album and chilling, but many Lips albums carry that theme. Yet within that, there is the usual warmth of sound. It's also a sonic challenge and full of experimentation, but again, that is what the Lips do best.

If your idea of the Flaming Lips is 'Mystics', coupled with a range of comedy videos, then this will strike you as odd. But listen to the whole canon and you will see exactly how this fits.

For me this is an important and relevant Lips album that deserves much listening.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Great beginner uke, 9 Feb 2011
Trust me - Amazon is selling a range of cheap ukes, but avoid the Mahalos and the Ashtons and dont be swayed on their cheap price.

The Lanikai is a superb beginner uke for the money that will leave the others standing.

Sure, its plain in finish, but its accurate and nicely made with a good tone and volume.

Mine needed a bit of post purchase setting up, to take the saddle and nut down a little. If you are unsure of doing that, suggest buying from a dealer who will offer that service.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 11, 2011 8:50 PM BST

Master Lock Street Fortum Gold Sold Secure D Lock 280x110mm with 1200x10mm cable
Price: 29.18

3.0 out of 5 stars Great lock, rubbish bracket, 10 Jan 2011
Great strong lock for my bike (though not offering the theft insurance it claims, you actually have to pay for it, and as far as I can tell only valid in the US)

I dont have a problem as some did with the keys - sure if you force them, they may break - dont force them

Loads of spare keys - very weighty lock too.

The big problem - the bracket to attach it to the bike - far too flimsy and I just couldnt get it secure - as such, chose not to trust it losing the lock whilst cycling. I keep mine in my saddlebag, hence the score is marked down to 3

Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display

5.0 out of 5 stars Just brilliant, 14 Dec 2010
I have had my Kindle a few months now, and it is, frankly, just brilliant. It does everything it claims to do very very well, and the price is just great.

You will note the negative reviews on this page all seem to focus on what the kindle isnt designed to do.

1. it ISNT an internet tablet - its an ebook reader. Yes it has a basic browser, but its designed to read books and does so very very well

2. It doesnt have a backlight - it isnt designed to have a backlight - without the backlight you get a totally relaxing, no headache experience and a battery that lasts for ages and ages.

What I like most of all - its so fuss free - switch it on, connect to Amazon, buy a book, read the book.

It just works.

But no, it wont make your tea, it wont work underwater - and it wont do plenty of other stuff its not designed to do!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2010 11:27 AM GMT

This Is Happening [Digipak]
This Is Happening [Digipak]
Offered by westworld-
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great album - one for heavy rotation, 17 Sep 2010
This is on pretty much constant heavy rotation in my car...

This is the sort of music that David Bowie should have been making by now. That doesnt make it plagiarist - it isnt - its what Bowie should have been making but never did.

Creative Vado HD 8GB High Definition Pocket Camcorder with 2" LCD and integral HDMI Cable

5.0 out of 5 stars Vado - great gadget, 30 Sep 2009
i dont often feel the need to review an item, but having just received VADO HD, and being so impressed with it, I thought I should say so. Main reason for my review is the amount of negative press out there regarding these things.

Listen - its cheap and cheerful, and of course it isn't going to match a 500 camcorder - but it is so small, so easy to use and the quality is really rather good - you shouldn't complain.

I've heard many say that the video in your camera or mobile phone is better - in my case - I have a point and shoot pentax one year old (the Vado is miles ahead in quality) - a Nikon D80 SLR (that doesn't do video) and a Palm mobile phone (video is terrible)

In addition, for the two gadgets I have that DO have video - getting that video onto the PC is hardly as straightforward as this.

1. Turn on
2. Point at subject
3. Press red button to start recording
4. Press red button to stop recording
5. Flip out USB connector and shove into the PC
6. Select the video to copy to your hard drive, or start Vado Central and automatically upload to your Youtube (or similar) account

That's it - that is all there is to it.

The device is nicely made, lightweight and looks very sleek in my view. Nice to hold too. Picture quality is not really HD, and if you hook it up to a large LCD tv (which you can do with the included cable) you will see what I mean - but for web use, blog use, or just clips to keep on your PC - it is really very good indeed.

Simplicity itself.

Gripes (they are small) - the silicone skin is naff. Would have preferred a pouch and a lanyard strap.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 11, 2011 8:54 PM BST

Xbox 360 HD DVD Player (Xbox 360)
Xbox 360 HD DVD Player (Xbox 360)

4.0 out of 5 stars A great start, 4 May 2007
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Nice piece of kit - seamlessly connects to Xbox, and gives you extra USB port or two also (it acts as a hub)

Pic quality is superb - no flaws. I use VGA connection not component. Doubt in the real world scenario (ie anything other than some 60 inch uber expensive panel) that anyone will tell difference between this on VGA or BluRay on HDMI socket.

Looking at other posts - yes media can be expensive, but none are region coded as yet, and therefore you can buy from the US very cheap.

Still some studios lacking in the whole Blu Ray v HD debate. In my view, Blu Ray have more studios, but to be honest, a lot of guff films. My personal taste says I'm happy with those released so far on HD. That said, this issue is a real issue. For some time yet, you are just not going to get the full range you might have hoped for.

HOWEVER! My view is this - the drive is cheap, and if you have a HD TV, then why not make full use of it?

V for Vendetta [DVD] [2006]
V for Vendetta [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Natalie Portman
Offered by CDWonder
Price: 2.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad not great, 6 Feb 2007
This review is from: V for Vendetta [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
Middle ground score for me.

Firstly, I'll get the book comparisons out of the way. You may read a lot of negative comments about the film in regard to the original novel. Yes, the film is quite quite different to the book - in fact misses out some key important plot elements, adds in some new ones, sets it in slightly different era and changes the ending!! That said, it remains to be a half decent film in my book, and there is no way I should mark it down on the basis of a poor translation of the book. Compared to the book, sure, its a worse story in my view, but the book is the book, the film is the film.

As for the film itself - great acting, great style, lots of action and lots to make you think. Where I think it fails though is it kind of falls between two stools. YOu see its not as good as the other Dystopian classics that it tries to be (the likes of Brazil, 1984 etc), but yet it is a little too stylish and complicated to be considered a good action romp.

Therefore, in my view, middle score, but that said, i'd happily sit and watch it through again.

Death Note: Volume 1
Death Note: Volume 1
by Tsugumi Oba
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Great straight thriller, 6 Feb 2007
This review is from: Death Note: Volume 1 (Paperback)
I'm pretty selective over my graphic novels, and therefore am even more selective over my Manga. You see for me, I dont personally go for the wizards and goblins stuff in the GN genre. Likewise, in Manga, I'm not a big fan of the swords and quests type stuff. To be honest, that whittles out a lot of the easily available Manga to me!

Death Note however just hits the spot for me. Sure, a basic supernatural type basis behind the story, but to be honest its just a great crime thriller.

I'm on book 4 now and its getting better and better.

Book 1 arrived through the door early on Sat morning, I took the post upstairs, opened the book and read it all the way through...

Exceptionally well drawn, and superb, clever dialogue (great translation)

Love the little snippets on page 1 from the author too!

Everyone should read this
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2010 11:28 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2