Profile for Neil Roberts > Reviews

Content by Neil Roberts

Neil Roberts (Measham, Leics., England)

Nostromo, a Tale of the Seaboard (Penguin Classics)
Nostromo, a Tale of the Seaboard (Penguin Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars Conrad is a master writer, 10 Jun. 2013
I had never read anything by Joseph Conrad, but this was available for my Kindle so I down-loaded it. It is a superb book, well-written, with a gripping plot, great characterisations and very descriptive of the place and era in which it is set. Conrad is a master of the craft, and I am now working through the rest of his catalogue.

12V Yamaha P-80 Digital piano replacement power supply adaptor
12V Yamaha P-80 Digital piano replacement power supply adaptor
Offered by Digidave

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful, but it does the job, 10 Jun. 2013
Having damaged the power supply adaptor that was supplied with my Yamaha P-80, the proper Yamaha replacement looked very expensive, so I bought this cheaper imitation instead. It is comparatively flimsy and less sophisticated than the Yamaha product, but far, far cheaper, and it does the job. No complaints.

The Three Sisters Authentic Stainless Steel Masala Dabba Spice Box with Spices
The Three Sisters Authentic Stainless Steel Masala Dabba Spice Box with Spices
Offered by The Three Sisters Flavours & Spices of India

5.0 out of 5 stars Pricey, but well worth it., 10 Jun. 2013
This was another present for my daughter, who has lately been moving away from ready meals and pot noodles and branching out into proper cooking. In particular she wanted to try making a few curries. This spice box contains most of the basics that she needs, and unlike many of it's cometitiors it has individual lids for the individual pots. I bought the Three Sisters Cook-book too, and my daughter is now making great curries.

Andrew James Powerful 700 Watt DC Motor Hand Blender With 500ml Food Processor, Whisk Attachment and 500ml Beaker
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, in fact very good, 10 Jun. 2013
I bought this as a birthday present for my daughter, who has not had the benefit of a hand blender before. I chose this product because it seems to be very versatile and good value for the price. So far my daughter is thrilled to bits with it, although she has not used all of the available facilities yet. I am now looking for a food processor for my wife, and because of the good experience of my daughter with the hand blender, I am very tempted to buy another Andrew James product.

Karajan Symphony Edition
Karajan Symphony Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for a work of genius, 1 Jun. 2009
I don't buy much classical music. I love it, or at least some of it, but it is an interest not shared by my wife, and we share a love of other kinds of music, so those come first. But I could not turn down the chance to buy 37 CD's for less than a quid each, featuring an orchestra and conductor of reputedly genius proportions. My classical CD collection has suddenly increased by about 800%. So far I have only played some of the favourites that I know and love - Beethoven 1, 5 and 9 and Tchaikovski 6. I am looking forward to rambling through the rest of them gradually, though it could take me years. Thankfully I have not been disappointed at all so far. I used to have a complete collection of Beethoven symphonies but lost them in my divorce settlement. I got another copy of the 9th a few years ago, by some Polish band, and it was not to my taste at all. Karajan and the Berliners play it the way I want it to be played, only better. The same goes for the others that I have so far sampled. I just hope that the purchase of this wonderful stuff does not lead to another divorce, but at least I can guarantee that, if it does, I will get to keep the CD's.

Together Through Life
Together Through Life

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst Dylan album yet, 1 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Together Through Life (Audio CD)
Sorry, Bob, but you've lost it, big time. I bought it, naturally, I always do, but apart from the interest it has in adding to an almost complete record of everything Dylan has done, this album has nothing at all to recommend it. The songs are derivative and dull, do not say very much of interest, and the backing is lack-lustre. I have been disappointed by Dylan albums before, notably in the C&W phase following ""John Wesley Harding", but never this disappointed. Even "Self Portrait" and "New Morning" have some redeeming features. Dylan and I have been "Together Through Life", but I hope he comes up with something better next time. If this system allowed me to give it zero stars, I would.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 1, 2009 2:23 PM BST

Infidels
Infidels

5.0 out of 5 stars A welcome purchase to compensate for the very poor new album, 1 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Infidels (Audio CD)
Having a few quid to spare after selling a duplicate copy of "Biograph", it was a natural choice to buy the new Dylan album "Together Through Life", which I will review elsewhere. I still had a bit of cash left so decided to buy "Infedels" too. I already have a vynil copy, and am gradually catching up with CD copies of all my old Dylan vynils. This is one of the best, which I somehow missed when it first came out, as I had become bored to death by '80s music and given up listening to anything new at that time, only becoming aware of "Infedels" some years later. The production from Mark Knoppfler and the extraordinarily sympathetic contributions from the other musicians, notably Knoppler and Mick Taylor, plus some of Dylan's best songs for years, made this a highlight of my collection.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 21, 2012 8:09 PM BST