Profile for Ah Mak > Reviews

Granny Yaga
Granny Yaga
by Vitali Vitaliev

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy for All!, 22 May 2014
This review is from: Granny Yaga (Hardcover)
A wonderfully ironic and magic tale set in a beautifully researched layered London…subtitled A Fantasy Novel for Children & Adults I couldn't agree more (as an adult at least) Entertaining characters, pacy story-telling, a marvellous talking cat and witches flying on Dyson vacuum cleaners - the Writer also making an appearance from time to time from his writing shed - Russian history - there's nothing not to like; and along the way you'll learn a lot about London which you never knew. I can also imagine this being a great book to read aloud to children.

Field Notes From a Hidden City
Field Notes From a Hidden City
by Esther Woolfson

5.0 out of 5 stars Secret City, 22 Oct 2013
What a wonderful insight into the secret life of a city's wild inhabitants - beautifully written, elegant prose and stunning word pictures that leave images in your mind...I loved it

A Matter Of Life And Death/Colonel Blimp/I Know Where I'm Going [DVD]
A Matter Of Life And Death/Colonel Blimp/I Know Where I'm Going [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Niven

5.0 out of 5 stars Classics, 3 Jun 2013
Excellent 3 film classics from Powell & Pressburger with extra features. A nice addition to any DVD collection. Would recommend this.

MY THAI GIRL AND I
MY THAI GIRL AND I
by ANDREW HICKS

5.0 out of 5 stars Two-Culture Clash!, 7 May 2012
This review is from: MY THAI GIRL AND I (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this tale of a clash of two cultures - and a lively insight into rural village life in Thailand. A fresh & honest account about coming to terms with a new partner who brings her family and her village (plus a variety of animals!) into the relationship - often with funny & touching dilemmas for the author.
He writes very well and carries you along on his adventure - what I'd like to see next is his wife Cat's account - as seen through her eyes!
A pacy read in bite-size chunks with photos to put you in the picture too - I'd recommend it whole-heartedly.

Latin Lessons: How South America Stopped Listening to the United States and Started Prospering
by Hal Weitzman

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm doffing my Panama Hat to the author!, 26 April 2012
This was recommended to me - not a topic I'd generally go for but what a good read! Not knowing much about South American politics this is an entertaining, informative and fascinating overview of recent events in Latin America. The author has a light touch with a serious subject - the research is impressive but the statistics and political analysis come wrapped up with lively anecdotes from Weitzman's experience as a well-placed journalist covering the area at a time of great change. His suggestions for the United States as to how they could improve their relationship with their fast-growing neighbouring countries seem self-evident when so clearly presented. Recent events in Argentina make this essential reading.

Far From My Father's House
Far From My Father's House
by Jill McGivering

5.0 out of 5 stars "It's a Different World", 31 Aug 2011
"It's a different world. People don't know how to relate to it" says the protagonist of this story - the same journalist (Ellen) who featured in 'The Last Kestrel'. I found this second book even more of a page-turner, with a gripping pace and characters so well drawn that you can actually SEE them. I may still not know how to relate to the Afghan conflict as it impinges on Himalayan villagers but I have a much better understanding of what it can do to some people's lives. Beautifully written - I hope the author has more up her sleeve!

The Icarus Diaries
The Icarus Diaries
by Kate Hoyland

5.0 out of 5 stars Asian Atmosphere..., 10 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Icarus Diaries (Paperback)
What a great read - you can almost breathe the humid air in the jungle, and the dry dusty streets of the fictional South East Asian capital of Mingoria. This author has a real eye for small details and a gift for the spoken word - the country and the characters come to life in a compelling way. Someone else described it as un-put-downable and I agree. I got so involved in the characters' lives that I'd like to suggest the author writes a sequel. Beautiful rendition of how Western 'tourists' can often come adrift in alien surroundings. I loved it.