Profile for Ah Mak > Reviews

Splintered Light
Splintered Light
by Cate Sampson

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant page turner, 4 Oct 2014
This review is from: Splintered Light (Paperback)
Another page turner from Cate Sampson - bought Carnaby for my niece - looked at it first myself as I love her adult thrillers and found I couldn't put it down. This one is just as good - maybe better, with a did he? Didn't he? Who did it??! plot…This time I knew I had to read it first and I would recommend it to all ages. The characters are engaging and the story races along with the three very different teenagers.
I can't wait for the next book from this very talented author who really knows how to keep you on the edge of your seat.

Granny Yaga
Granny Yaga
by Vitali Vitaliev

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy for All!, 22 May 2014
This review is from: Granny Yaga (Hardcover)
A wonderfully ironic and magic tale set in a beautifully researched layered London…subtitled A Fantasy Novel for Children & Adults I couldn't agree more (as an adult at least) Entertaining characters, pacy story-telling, a marvellous talking cat and witches flying on Dyson vacuum cleaners - the Writer also making an appearance from time to time from his writing shed - Russian history - there's nothing not to like; and along the way you'll learn a lot about London which you never knew. I can also imagine this being a great book to read aloud to children.

Field Notes From a Hidden City
Field Notes From a Hidden City
by Esther Woolfson

5.0 out of 5 stars Secret City, 22 Oct 2013
What a wonderful insight into the secret life of a city's wild inhabitants - beautifully written, elegant prose and stunning word pictures that leave images in your mind...I loved it

A Matter Of Life And Death/Colonel Blimp/I Know Where I'm Going [DVD]
A Matter Of Life And Death/Colonel Blimp/I Know Where I'm Going [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Niven

5.0 out of 5 stars Classics, 3 Jun 2013
Excellent 3 film classics from Powell & Pressburger with extra features. A nice addition to any DVD collection. Would recommend this.

MY THAI GIRL AND I
MY THAI GIRL AND I
by ANDREW HICKS

5.0 out of 5 stars Two-Culture Clash!, 7 May 2012
This review is from: MY THAI GIRL AND I (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this tale of a clash of two cultures - and a lively insight into rural village life in Thailand. A fresh & honest account about coming to terms with a new partner who brings her family and her village (plus a variety of animals!) into the relationship - often with funny & touching dilemmas for the author.
He writes very well and carries you along on his adventure - what I'd like to see next is his wife Cat's account - as seen through her eyes!
A pacy read in bite-size chunks with photos to put you in the picture too - I'd recommend it whole-heartedly.

Latin Lessons: How South America Stopped Listening to the United States and Started Prospering
by Hal Weitzman

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm doffing my Panama Hat to the author!, 26 April 2012
This was recommended to me - not a topic I'd generally go for but what a good read! Not knowing much about South American politics this is an entertaining, informative and fascinating overview of recent events in Latin America. The author has a light touch with a serious subject - the research is impressive but the statistics and political analysis come wrapped up with lively anecdotes from Weitzman's experience as a well-placed journalist covering the area at a time of great change. His suggestions for the United States as to how they could improve their relationship with their fast-growing neighbouring countries seem self-evident when so clearly presented. Recent events in Argentina make this essential reading.

Far From My Father's House
Far From My Father's House
by Jill McGivering

5.0 out of 5 stars "It's a Different World", 31 Aug 2011
"It's a different world. People don't know how to relate to it" says the protagonist of this story - the same journalist (Ellen) who featured in 'The Last Kestrel'. I found this second book even more of a page-turner, with a gripping pace and characters so well drawn that you can actually SEE them. I may still not know how to relate to the Afghan conflict as it impinges on Himalayan villagers but I have a much better understanding of what it can do to some people's lives. Beautifully written - I hope the author has more up her sleeve!

The Icarus Diaries
The Icarus Diaries
by Kate Hoyland

5.0 out of 5 stars Asian Atmosphere..., 10 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Icarus Diaries (Paperback)
What a great read - you can almost breathe the humid air in the jungle, and the dry dusty streets of the fictional South East Asian capital of Mingoria. This author has a real eye for small details and a gift for the spoken word - the country and the characters come to life in a compelling way. Someone else described it as un-put-downable and I agree. I got so involved in the characters' lives that I'd like to suggest the author writes a sequel. Beautiful rendition of how Western 'tourists' can often come adrift in alien surroundings. I loved it.