Profile for Thomas Winfield > Reviews

Billy Talent [U.S. Version]
Billy Talent [U.S. Version]
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars I fell in love, 28 July 2005
I fell in love with this album the first time I listened to it. What I think is a top notch album, maybe there will be accusations of 'billy talent arent punk' but I dont think that they are too bothered. Im not labelling them punk I just enjoy their music. Fast driving music.
For me the guitar work of Ian D'Sa fooled me into thinking there were more than one guitarist in the band, he really is a top quality guitarist - just have a listen to the opening riff of River Below! The bass lines are also top notch too, not just a boring drone in the background but a driving force in the fast songs and some innovative fills. The vocal work is very good, the lead singers (ben) voice may annoy a few people but for me it just fits the songs. And the backing vocals are exceptional with Ian and the bassist making great contributions on most songs. My personal favourites of the album being..
This is how it goes - excellent start to the album, kicks it off with a bang
Line and sinker - this really should of been a single, its just brilliant and so different to many songs I have heard.
River below - the guitar work on this song is exceptional
Nothing to lose - really good slower song.
Overall the pace and guitar work drives this album along and I love it!!

What to Do When You Are Dead
What to Do When You Are Dead
Offered by westworld-

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty damn good, 28 July 2005
I bought this album on the strength on one song, car underwater. Now usually when I buy an album on the strength of one song I am dissapointed.
BUT, with this album that is not the case. Overall it is a very well produced album, the guitar work is great, drumming and bass lines are good also. Perhaps the vocals are a bit weak with only Ben doing all the work (perhaps backing vox needed?). But I am very impressed indeed, the writing of the songs is exemplary. The driving sound of this band is very pleasing to me, personally car underwater is the best track but the first five are all good. My other highlights being "stay on the ground" and "walking at night alone". The album tells a story, and I like it!!