Profile for ewoketty > Reviews

ewoketty "etty" (uk)

Sabriel
Sabriel
by Garth Nix

5.0 out of 5 stars 'There are no good books which are only for children'- W H Auden., 4 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Sabriel (Paperback)
'There are no good books which are only for children'- W H Auden.
This quote was the illumination for an essay on the value of J M Barrie's `Peter Pan' for readers of all generations, and like that timeless classic, Sabriel is a novel which touches upon us at every age of our lives.
It is a story with a clear, driving narrative which comes full circle, as only the strongest of tales do, and within which the attention to fine detail is perfectly married with vivid descriptions of the action; the cold of the snow... the strangeness and horror of death... the fear of pursuit in darkness, and the warmth of friendships slowly forming.
The Bells of an Abhorsen; objects which hold some power over death, are an inspirational creation and along with Sabriel's struggle to follow where her father has walked, bravely accepting a dangerous and lonely job, they feel as genuine and timeless as any myth or legend of our own world, reminiscent of the tale of Orpheus and Eurydice in the Underworld.
The characters within Sabriel are compelling and strong, and as a cat owner I can't help but feel that if the little creatures could speak then they would be very like the Mogget indeed (which in my opinion would only be a good thing!)
Ultimately, one of the most immediately striking things about Sabriel is that unlike so many other works of fantasy fiction, it is no hefty tome and as such every word is carefully crafted. At no point does it feel rushed or filled with fluff. It is a true pleasure to read and no matter how many times I journey back to the Old Kingdom, nor at what age, I still come away feeling as though I have been transported somewhere magical for a while.
I can only hope that when the time comes I shall be in some agreement with Peter Pan, in that `To die will be an awfully big adventure.' And thus avoid become anything chilling and unpleasant waiting in the dark to hear the bells of an Abhorsen ringing me on my way. Although that would at least mean it was all real...

Tales From Earthsea [DVD]
Tales From Earthsea [DVD]
Dvd ~ Goro Miyazaki

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear!, 7 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Tales From Earthsea [DVD] (DVD)
Having been warned that this film wasn't great I eventually bought it to see for myself, sure that no Studio Ghibli film could ever be dire.
What a mistake.
I feel aggreived by the mess that has been made of Ursula Le Guin's brilliant Earthsea novels, and upset that I spent money supporting it.
I am simply astounded that it could be so wrong and feel very sorry for Ursula Le Guin, it is the second time she has put her story in the hands of others and the second time they have trampled all over it.
I don't think that even the artwork is a good as normal Studio Ghibli endeavours, the colours are too bright, the characters moving closer and closer to giant bosomed anime characters.
I think that now Hayao Miyazaki has retired I will not be awaiting the next Studio Ghibli film with any kind of enthusiasm, it was evidently him that drove the compassion and quiet understanding of the characters in Ghibli films. It is sad to think there will be no more Nausicaa's or Princess Mononokes.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 6, 2014 7:44 PM GMT

Coraline: A Visual Companion
Coraline: A Visual Companion
by Stephen Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 4 Jun. 2009
Having watched Coraline twice in 3D at the cinema (which is brilliant!) I felt enthused enough about the film to investigate what merchandise there would be on here (impatient to own a copy of the film itself) and bought this book without a moments hesitation.
I was not disappointed whatsoever! it is a charming book dealing with the thoughts and goings on of the creative genious's behind the project and on how it all came to be.
It is packed with stills from the film and the concept designs that first brought it in to existence along with many insightful interviews.
Definitely a worthwhile buy!

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind [DVD]
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hayao Miyazaki

5.0 out of 5 stars An unearthed gem., 19 Jan. 2009
I saw this film as a very little girl and spent years struggling to remember what it was called in an attempt to try and find it again. Mostly all I could recall were these big glowing insects with eyes like gems and a princess who was strong, kind and had an amazing glider.
Watching Princess Mononoke lead me to Nausicaa and i knew instantly that it was what i had been looking for by its cover. I bought it with trepidation; films and programmes can be so much better when you're young, and viewing them often ruins the imaginings that you have of it in your head. But i was absolutely blown away by how amazing this film is! It has influenced me in so many ways that I hadn't even realised and always re-news my belief in the goodness in people.
It is a film full of wonderful characters; the good and the bad and the grey inbetweens, the animation is brilliant, and the storyline is both complex and simple at the same time. I thought it was wonderful as a small child, but now it is even better!