Profile for Mr. C. T. Norton > Reviews

A Little Night Music
A Little Night Music
Offered by thelastresortofmusic

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful cast, 30 Oct. 2007
This review is from: A Little Night Music (Audio CD)
I love this recording. It's great to hear an actress sing the role of Anne and actually sound young. Often she can be sung too operatically and sound too old. Joanna Riding, as Anne, is very irritating but that makes her great. I've always imagined her character to be whiney and annoying. Judi Dench is fabulous and Issy Van Randwyk's performance of "The Miller's Son" just blows you away. Not too keen on Patricia Hodge's voice (as Countess Charlotte Malcolm) but it's a minor thing. It's also great to hear the song "My Husband The Pig" (usually cut from the show) and a really good version of "The Glamorous Life" utilising both the film and show versions of the song. All that aside, buy it just to listen to the best every recording of "Send In The Clowns" sung and acted wonderfully by Judi Dench.

West Side Story
West Side Story
Offered by Leisurezone

5.0 out of 5 stars The best version of the film soundtrack, 18 Oct. 2007
This review is from: West Side Story (Audio CD)
There are a few minor complaints about this soundtrack. Why on earth didn't they dub the Sharks in the Quintet? Some of their notes are quite flat and the Jets also go wrong in this song. Why did no one notice?
Beautiful vocals from Marni Nixon and Jim Bryant (dubbing Natalie Wood & Richard Beymer) but the info on the CD isn't correct about Anita's vocals.
They are all credited as being sung by Betty Wand but that isn't the case. Wand dubs "A Boy Like That", Rita Moreno sings her own in "America" and the "Quintet" is Moreno until the counterpoint section when Marni Nixon takes over to sing the high notes (singing both Anita & Maria's vocals). It also fails to mention that it is Tucker Smith who sings the opening of "The Jet Song" and not Russ Tamblyn. It's all fantastic to listen to but the inaccuracies in the liner notes make me cross!

The King And I:  Music From The Motion Picture
The King And I: Music From The Motion Picture
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars A very complete recording, 18 Oct. 2007
This film soundtrack is great. Great vocal performances. Marni Nixon's vocals are terrific and she does such a great impersonating Deborah Kerr, you can hardly tell the difference betwen the two. We get several of the songs deleted from the film and "The Small House of Uncle Thomas" at last!
Rita Moreno recorded all the vocals for Tuptim but was dubbed over in post-production by Leona Gordon. It's Moreno's vocal on "My Lord & Master" but the other two songs are performed by Gordon. (Moreno's "We Kiss In A Shadow" vocal can be heard on the special edition DVD if you change the audio track to 'score only'.)The highlight of the album is the deleted song "Shall I Tell You What I Think of You" - see if you can spot the switches between Marni Nixon and Deborah Kerr. Possibly one of the finest pieces of voice dubbing ever!

The King and I
The King and I

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful cast, 29 Sept. 2007
This review is from: The King and I (Audio CD)
I love this recording. The cast are superb. The King & I was originally written with a rather operatic feel to it and the majority of recordings out there are presented that way. The film version of the songs were all transposed into lower keys to make them less operatic and this recording does the same. Julie Andrews and Ben Kingsley make a wonder Anna & The King. The real treat here is Lea Salonga's Tuptim. Often Tuptims sound too operatic and don't sound convincingly young. Peabo Bryson and Marilyn Horne also impress. I would recommend this fine recording to everyone!