Profile for Ms. J. Mullins > Reviews

Content by Ms. J. Mullins

Ms. J. Mullins "Jeanette" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Very Hungry Caterpillar Melamine plate bowl and mug set
Very Hungry Caterpillar Melamine plate bowl and mug set

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute but needs to be stronger, 30 Jan. 2013
It is a very cute set but unfortunately my set arrived with the cup smashed into tiny pieces. The actual plates and cup are fairly big so it is probably most suited to an older toddler.

Samsung RV510 15.6 inch HD Laptop (Intel Celeron Dual Core T3500 2.13GHz, 3Gb, 320Gb, DVDRW, WLAN, Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit) - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, 19 Jan. 2013
This is a laptop that does every thing I need from a day to day point of view, so on that part it is fine. However the actual build quality of the laptop is poor. I have had it for 5 months and have now lost usage of the left click button below the mouse pad, the headphone socket no longer works and the left hand USB is extremely temperamental. For a fairly pricy laptop I am pretty disappointed to have to be thinking about using the warranty or getting it fixed so soon after buying it. I wouldn't recommend this laptop to anyone just from it's obvious lack of durability.

As my husband has another laptop in the Samsung range and it has similar problems, we have come to the conclusion that the build quality is just cheap and cheerful

Splats Boys Ocean Blue Rainsplats Boots Breathable Membrane Slip Resistant Sole
Splats Boys Ocean Blue Rainsplats Boots Breathable Membrane Slip Resistant Sole

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but not as waterproof as I would have liked., 17 Jan. 2013
My son has these shoes. I think they are basically well designed but I have found my son has had wet feet on more than one occasion after walking and playing outdoors in his splats. I am not completely sure they are totally waterproof, more like water resistant. I think they would be fine for city kids walking on pavements and in well drained playgrounds but not so much for muddy wet country walks. For us they haven't turned out to be a reliable welly alternative.

First Fun With Spanish [DVD]
First Fun With Spanish [DVD]
Offered by Discs4all

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but slow with rather strange voices., 6 Nov. 2012
This review is from: First Fun With Spanish [DVD] (DVD)
We own the French version of this DVD and my kids really enjoy watching it. This spanish version is not as good unfortunately. It's rather slow and the voices of the children are done by rather middle aged sounding adults which is odd. The voices in the french version acually sound child like. There is a very long and slow introduction without any speech which is a little odd.

Learning Resources Snap Cubes (Set of 100)
Learning Resources Snap Cubes (Set of 100)

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job but wear easily., 5 Nov. 2012
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
These are a good alternative to unifix cubes in the short term, but after a a year or so they wear and don't hold together very well. MY kids are finding this pretty frustrating.

Suburgatory - Season 1 [DVD]
Suburgatory - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jeremy Sisto

4.0 out of 5 stars Larger than life but slightly cringe worthy, 12 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Suburgatory - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I am not totally sure if I have liked this series. I watched it initially attracted by Alan Tudyk as his appearances on TV seem fairly few and far apart so it was nice to see a series in which he was a regular. This is a review of the series rather than the specific DVD release as it's not out on dvd at the point of writing.

Suburgatory is basically about a guy called George (Jeremy Sisto) who moves his 15yr old daughter Tessa (Jane Levy) from New York city out to the the very strange suburb of Chatswin looking for a better life for her. Chatswin is a crazy place basically run by over-acheiving and dominant mums and their equally nutty families. George chooses this particular suburb because his best friend, tangerine tanned and speedo wearing, Noah (Alan Tudyk) lives there. Tessa is annoyed by the move, baffled by her crazy neighbours and misses her life in the city. A whole series of challenges assault George and Tessa including dealing with their over-bearing neighbours, the shenanigans of Noah and a romance for George ending in a very bizarre last episode to season 1. This show is full of nutty plotlines but I am not sure I totally got the humour. I was more like Tessa and a bit baffled, it's maybe a bit over the top for my tastes. I think it will be something I come back to and re watch, and I do think it is worth a watch as the cast are very good at bringing their bizarre characters to life, maybe it will settle down a bit in the next season.

Castle - Season 1 & 2 [DVD]
Castle - Season 1 & 2 [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Good fun, 12 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Castle - Season 1 & 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Not amazing but good enough and fun and light hearted. I didn't really get into series 1 of Castle having watched it very eratically on tv but due to being a fan of Nathan Fillion from his Firefly days I wanted to give it another go. Series 2 is good with lots of humour and for a crime series doesn't take itself too seriously. I really enjoy it.

Firefly - The Complete Series [DVD] [2003]
Firefly - The Complete Series [DVD] [2003]

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously brilliant Sci fi, 11 Jun. 2012
What a brilliant series, Fox's decision to axe it is unintillegable particularly when there is so much rubbish on tv making it to multiple series especially in the sci fi genre. The Firefly/Serenity 'verse is very raw and very together and very credible. It is a recognisable future for our planet and a heartrending story of survival, loss and instability balanced out by hope, love, loyalty and a little bit of fun.

I love the relationships and individual stories of survival in the series particularly the marriage between Wash and Zoe, the tension between that marriage and Zoe's loyalty to Mal, what makes Mal behave like he does, his war time history and why River and Simon were even kept on board with all the trouble they bring. Even with the release of Serenity the film I so wish this series had carried on to build more story into some of the less explored characters such as Wash (Alan Tudyk) who spends a lot of time around the edges of the action and has little in the way of grittier storylines. There is a massive back story there that is not explored and it would be great ot see his journey from the character we meet in the flashback in 'Out of Gas' to the lovable voice of reason and Zoe's husband (unfortunately not really explored in the film sequel Serenity either). Kaylee is another character who I would love to learn more about, her quiet naivety, optimism and strength of character as played by Jewel Staite is beautiful. Then there is mysterious character of Sheperd Book who we never really learn much more about.

10 years on from the TV series and about 7 years on from the film, Firefly and Serenity still feel fresh and real. I think this has come down to the fact it is a high quality story with a cast and crew who really felt the message and knew the characters and a lack of gratuitous special effects. The acting is great and I love to watch the performances.

Death At A Funeral [DVD]
Death At A Funeral [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matthew Macfadyen
Offered by 101Trading

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty average but a pleasant watch, 11 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Death At A Funeral [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this film because I am a huge fan of Alan Tudyk and wanted to see him in a British film. He is pretty funny in his role as Simon the solicitor who accidentally takes hallucenogenic drugs although his English accent is a bit erratic and disappears almost entirely at various stages, but this film as a whole is just ok. It's a great sunday afternoon film full of actors who are recognisable from British prime time TV. Overall there wasn't much to the film considering the level of talent in the cast and I came away from it feeling I had a fun time watching it but it didn't leave much of an impression.

Serenity [DVD] [2005]
Serenity [DVD] [2005]
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing film, 11 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Serenity [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
This is just an amazing film. Fox's decision to axe the original series Firefly is unintillegable particularly when there is so much rubbish on tv making it to multiple series especially in the sci fi genre. This film is a huge gift to fans. The Firefly/Serenity 'verse is very raw and very together and very credible. While you can watch this as a quick moving superficial sci fi film there is so much more to it and it really makes me wonder where the human race will end up. It is a recognisable future for our planet and a heartrending story of survival,loss and instability balanced out by hope, love, loyalty and a little bit of fun.

I highly recommend watching the tv series Firefly before watching the film. Although the film stands alone it misses out on getting across some of the depth of the relationships particularly the marriage between Wash and Zoe, the tension between that marriage and Zoe's loyalty to Mal, what makes Mal behave like he does and why River and Simon were even kept on board with all the trouble they bring. Although you don't need to know these thing to enjoy Serenity, your heart won't break as hard at the end if you don't get to know the characters.

I find the last quarter of this film so hard to watch, the sudden and unexpected death of a well loved crew member just when the end is in sight, and the ability of the rest of the crew to keep going with this loss still fresh and everything as bad as it's gonna get is one of the things that make the story so amazing. Hope is something that shines through. There is a little part of me that wanted to see a softer side of Zoe but that would be totally out of character so I see why it's not there.

10 years on from the TV series and about 7 years on from the film, Firefly and Serenity still feel fresh and real. I think this has come down to the fact it is a high quality story with a cast and crew who really felt the message and knew the characters. The acting is great and I love to watch the performances. It is well worth watching the film with Joss Whedon's commentary as it has really opened my eyes to other elements of the firefly 'verse I had missed.I have to say I love the lighting in this film, it is just beautiful.

I can't imagine there will be any further tv or film follow ups no matter how hard fans push but I am very glad this one was made as it opened my eyes much more to the work of Joss Whedon and some great actors.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10