Profile for Ms. J. Mullins > Reviews

Content by Ms. J. Mullins

Ms. J. Mullins "Jeanette" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
KnitPro 3.5 mm Karbonz Interchangeable Normal Circular Needles, Black and Silver

2.0 out of 5 stars Faulty needles, very disappointed., 5 Mar. 2016
I really like Karbonz but I was sad to realise 3 days after the returns window closed that one of my needles was faulty, the needle won't stay attached to the cable, the thread is too big. I hadn't realised that buying from amazon means the needles are not covered under the knitpro warranty so be warned. Check your needles immediately. Mine were sitting waiting for a project for a few weeks and I missed the opportunity to return them sadly.

Crossing Lines Season 2
Crossing Lines Season 2

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but flawed., 12 Feb. 2016
This series is generally good and will appeal to anyone who likes shows such as NCIS or Criminal Minds. The show is about a team of police from different countries in Europe (and occasionally the US) attempting to solve crimes that cross country borders. The European setting does give it a different feel to many other shows and the cast are very good making it an easy watch. This show does have some flaws, the whole reason for the formation of the team doesn't really make a lot of sense and it feels like the writers could have come up with a much more interesting and imaginative reason for the formation of such a team rather than just tacking it onto the ICC who as far as I understand it have nothing to do with this kind of crime investigation. Like a lot of similar shows, it relies on cliché and sentimentality at times and that is definitely a shame as I think could be interesting if it stuck to more hard-hitting stories because there aren't really any other shows exploring them in a European context.

Even the Rain [DVD]
Even the Rain [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gael García Bernal

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a good and moving film, 17 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Even the Rain [DVD] (DVD)
Such a good and moving film. Other reviewers have written thoroughly about the plot so I'll leave that to them but I really have to say how amazing the performance Luis Tosar as Costa, the film's executive producer, is. Gael García Bernal is probably the most well-known face in this film but I actually don't think he brings his normal magnetism to the part, however like all the actors gives a good performance.

Mozart in the Jungle Season 2
Mozart in the Jungle Season 2
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Really easy to watch, lighthearted and fun with great acting., 15 Jan. 2016
Mozart in the Jungle is a really easy to watch, lighthearted drama with enough comedic moments that it never really gets bogged down in the negatives. I loved season 1 and was eagerly awaiting season 2 and wasn't disappointed. I think the pacing of season 2 is rather different and maybe doesn't work as well within the 1/2 hour episode format simply because there's not enough time to tell all the stories. After my first watch of season 2 I initially had the feeling that nothing had really moved on and I think this was because many episodes involve much more limited interaction between the characters than season 1, as they break off into smaller groups for various side stories, some of which work, but many of which just tread water. Many of these side stories are definitely to the detriment of the continued development of the main plotlines and characters, but having said that after a second watch there are enough subtle changes in the relationships between the main characters, that I can see what they've been left open for a really wide range of possible outcomes if there is a season 3.

Like season one, the acting and music are brilliant, my only criticism being that at times Lola Kirke's character Hailey seems a rather naive 2 dimensional 26yr old, she seems to have only just realised that what she wants is difficult to achieve and seems pretty clueless in general. She does get out of Rodrigo's shadow towards the end of season 2 as she breaks out on her own more and ceases to be in awe of him, but I feel like we need more of her backstory to make her make sense as it's been rather neglected so far in comparison to Rodrigo's backstory. Gael García Bernal is well cast as the eccentric composer who becomes more grounded throughout this series. Rodrigo lives in a constantly fluctuating state of highs and lows, living in the moment and not always based in reality and Gael García Bernal does manage to make these seem somewhat believable and we do see a much more vulnerable Rodrigo throughout season 2.

One of the best things about this show is that it's introduced me to actors I hadn't discovered, or was only slightly familiar with and I've found some great things to watch just exploring their other work.

Overall really worth a watch and I hope there'll be a season 3.

One Mississippi [Ultra HD]
One Mississippi [Ultra HD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicate and raw dark comedy., 12 Nov. 2015
I really enjoyed this pilot. I'm familiar with Tig Notaro anyway so was expecting good things. This is a pretty heart-rending story of the loss of her mother and keeps the rawness while including a delicately paced dark-comedy twist. I think it must have been hard to write and make, but it really has a place in the modern world where too much of the comedy available is sickly-sweet and simplistic and I hope to see more.

Stationery Island Chalk Marker D30 - 4 Brilliant Bright White Liquid Chalk Ink Pens - 3mm Bullet Nib - Dry Wipe Erase - 60-Day Money-Back Guarantee! No Quibbles
Offered by Stationery Island

3.0 out of 5 stars The positive is that these pens are easy to use and give a nice clean white line, 10 Oct. 2015
The positive is that these pens are easy to use and give a nice clean white line. The negative is that they are a nightmare to get off if the ink is left on for more than a few hours. I've been using these on a vinyl chalkboard and wiping off the writing with a damp cloth does not remove it properly,and no end of scrubbing or using different products helps, you only seem to wipe off a top layer. I've now had to give up and will replace the vinyl chalkboard with a new piece, I'll use real chalk next time. I would only use these if you want to use them on a single use item and consider them permanent.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 23, 2016 10:01 AM GMT

Reeves 500ml Ready Mix Paint - Metallic Bronze
Reeves 500ml Ready Mix Paint - Metallic Bronze

2.0 out of 5 stars Bronze lacks any kind of metallic sheen., 28 Sept. 2015
We have used Reeves Paint for years, it's a good paint for the kids for general painting. We were in need of some metallics so I bought the metallic Bronze shade. The colour was very disappointing a very dark browny-green and it had very little in the way of a metallic finish. The only thing I noticed when washing up the paint was a slight sparkle in the water. If you need a metallic paint I'd recommend giving this one a miss. If you need an unusual brown/green then then try this as I can see it being useful in autumnal themed projects .

LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean (Xbox 360)
LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean (Xbox 360)
Offered by Game Trade Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun but with very long cut scenes., 14 Sept. 2015
This is a fun game but a bit glitchier that other Lego games we have played. Plenty of getting stuck behind things. I also think this game is harder than any of the others we have played when it comes to judging the exact position of your character in relation to the narrow walkways and things you need to jump on/off, which makes some levels frustrating. The cut scenes are a bit tedious, they're extremely long.

Cozi Family Organizer
Cozi Family Organizer

3.0 out of 5 stars Nearly great and might suit basic needs., 14 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Cozi Family Organizer (App)
Cozi family organiser is a useful app. It's basically a calender that can be shared amongst family members and will sync to an app. It also has useful features like to do lists. I like this app but it has some negative features. I have to see it feels basic and unfinished. Logical extensions like being able to repeat an item on a to do list (similarly to how it is done on a google calendar) would be really useful. Also date format localisation for the website would be amazing, as this is where I enter most of my to do list but it only functions with US date format. I believe the android version has localisation for the UK but it doesn't seem to be available on their website. Occasionally we find it doesn't sync which can be irritating.

Brother MFC-J6720DW A3 Colour Inkjet Wireless Multifunction All-In-One Printer
Brother MFC-J6720DW A3 Colour Inkjet Wireless Multifunction All-In-One Printer

3.0 out of 5 stars Great functions but a short lifespan., 15 Jun. 2015
There are many things to like about this printer. I've had it quite a while. The range of functions it can do are great for a home office. I've generally found it to be an easy printer to set up and use. The A3 function is great.

There are however negatives. The trays are a little frustrating in their design, a little flimsier that I would like and they really don't tend to want to go back in perfectly which annoys me. I have also had issues with blocked print heads. The normal quality print setting is extremely draft which many people have noticed, this can be ok depending on what you want it for.

I've also found that the printer needs cleaning cycles to be done constantly. On mine It's simply not possible to get the head clean enough with the built in function to print colour properly any more and due to the design they're very hard to even attempt to clean manually.

I think most printers these days have a relatively short life unlike the ones I bought 10-20 years ago where I could often get 5 years of usage. This one seems to have done just over a year and is only semi usable now.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11