Profile for Patrick > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
TheraBand CLX Blue Individual Pre-Cut Resistive Exercise Band
TheraBand CLX Blue Individual Pre-Cut Resistive Exercise Band
Offered by ergobasis

5.0 out of 5 stars ... a resistance band for a while so this was great. Whilst the blue indicates the tension of the ..., 16 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Been after a resistance band for a while so this was great. Whilst the blue indicates the tension of the band (moderate) others are available.

The 2.5m I received has about the right length, it's better being longer than not as it gives you more flexibility (no pun intended) as to the exercises you can try out as you can lengthen or shorten as required.

If you don't know what you are doing, there is a free app (search clx on the App Store) and this has plenty to get you going.

What I was intrigued about was the 11 loops integrated into the band. I thought this might be a bit inconvenient, but you can make them work for you when required. They are great for foot or arm holds, and they always go back after stressing them. You can pre cut this if required for individual smaller bands - think head band sized pieces - or ignore them and use as one long band without any annoyance.

Try and work out what tension you would require before purchasing, wish mine was towards the higher tension end, but I can't fault it so far. Very good indeed

Hercules P32 DJ - Unique dual deck USB controller with integrated audio interface and 32 pads

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly easy and you stress free, 6 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Whilst my DJing experience is limited to a couple of apps I've used on my phone to mix songs, this really is the real thing, and with a bit of learning and practice, anyone can do it.

Upon opening the box, the contents consist of the controller unit and a USB cable to connect to your laptop. Upon plugging it in, the drivers load and instruct you to download the free software, before you are ready to start within 5 minutes. Incredibly easy and you stress free.

There are 2 sides to the controller, almost mirror images of each other. Simply put, each side is used to correctly control 1 of 2 songs at a time. Whilst some of the buttons are self explanatory, I found that watching a few basics YouTube videos from the creators of the controllers prevents wasting time and is easiest way to do it. You might even learn a few things that you didn't know existed!

Because my experience is very limited, it took time and effort to fully construct any sort of length of music that didn't sound awful. But, it is really obvious that the ability to mix well is there and if you can teach yourself or already know what you are doing, then it couldn't be easier. The controller is incredibly well made and sturdy, and would I ever need to, I would throw it in a bag and not worry about damaging too much. The buttons and knobs are responsive as you would expect and are also well constructed.

What I did found out of my control is that there is the ability to use other pieces of software with the controller and import other effects to use. It seems the possibilities are endless and I really have no complaints about the controller. A fantastic product!

Honeywell QuietSet Table Fan
Honeywell QuietSet Table Fan

5.0 out of 5 stars This is all controlled at the control panel at the bottom of the unit with easy to press buttons that light up with blue LEDs, 1 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Whilst it looks different to a conventional fan, functionality wise, it is just the same. It has 4 speeds and can also oscillate exactly as expected. This is all controlled at the control panel at the bottom of the unit with easy to press buttons that light up with blue LEDs.

I like that is has 4 speeds, and although this is said to be quieter than a conventional fan, I cannot really tell the difference on the higher settings, but it is definitely quiet on the lowest.

It doesn't take up much room, and looks a lot cooler (no pun intended) sat on the side than a conventional fan!

Only slight issue I have is that it always starts on full power, but this isn't enough for be to deduct a star!

Definitely worth considering if you want a new fan!

Data Management for Researchers (Research skills)
Data Management for Researchers (Research skills)
by Kristin Briney

5.0 out of 5 stars This book would have incredibly useful before I started any of my work, 21 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Many researchers will first experience dealing with data on a serious scale during their undergraduate degree, and this is likely to continue in further studies or into a career. Personally, I experienced this during my dissertation, but my sole focus was the quality of theory and reporting of data, definitely not the management leading to this point.

This book would have incredibly useful before I started any of my work, and reading this in hindsight has highlighted many of my errors. Whilst there is nothing revolutionary in methods of working, it covers some great points. The book is split into 11 main chapters:

The data problem
The data lifecycle
Planning for data management
Documenting your data
Organising your data
Improving data analysis
Managing secure and private data
Short term storage
Preserving and archiving your data
Sharing/ publishing your data
Reusing data

If you read this book like a 'story' front start to finish, it is likely to be relatively useless. But, if you can approach your research alongside the relevant chapter from above at the same time, I believe this is most sensible and time efficient.

I have used this approach as part of my job role and recently reviewed my organisation of data on a major project. I have changed my approach to the chapter 5.3 - naming conventions. Whilst I considered all my data to be manageable and well organised for the present, I found that going forward in the project, it might not be best convention available. I am currently trialling a method in the book, and found it very easy to implement as it is still current to my work. Going forward, I hope it remains relevant, and I know I can review it with the guide available on the book should I need to.

To conclude, I have so far found this book incredibly simple and easy to follow. Whilst some parts sound obvious, it is usually these things that are overlooked and definitely make the biggest differences. I will use the book as my go-to reference material as i implement different parts of the data lifecycle.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars but it is easy enough to work out after a good five minutes, 21 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First of all, this vacuum cleaner is a significant step up from my last vacuum cleaner, also an AEG (I believe it was an early version of the AEG UltraOne).

Initially, I would say that it isn’t the simplest task of assembling the vacuum cleaner, it does seem to come in several pieces, but it is easy enough to work out after a good five minutes. One of the benefits I suppose of this compared to my previous cleaner is that you could (if you really wanted) disassemble the cleaner for storage purposes. Although the cleaner can fit in the cupboard under the stairs with some manoeuvring, it is sometimes a hassle to fit, so sometimes it is just easier to leave out, which again I suppose forces me to use it more!

In terms of the actual ability of the machine, the suction is excellent, there is no question about this. Although I cannot compare this to a Dyson (the supposed leaders in suction power), as I’ve never owned one, and granted that most of my flooring is hardwood so pretty much all vacuum cleaners shouldn’t have a problem, it is definitely a powerful cleaner, and on the few carpets I do have, I can definitely tell immediately how well the AEG works, not only from seeing the difference on the carpet, but also how much dirt is in the “Compact and Go”, as AEG like to call it – which again I find a very clever and useful idea. The one issue I have with the “Compact and Go” however, is that the handle for it, to lift out of the machine to empty the dirt, is located on the top (although it does slightly fold down to try and get out of the way), so when you do go to pick up the vacuum as a whole using the correct lifting handle, this is only about 25cm away, so I have sometimes accidentally gone to pick up the cleaner, and grabbed the “Compact and Go” handle, with some force, and lifted the whole machine up, with the “Compact and Go” then detaching, and the vacuum cleaner slamming onto the floor. Obviously this isn’t a regular occurrence, but in the future it would be good if they re-designed this “Compact and Go” handle.

Overall, the device is excellent and easy to use, on a range of surfaces and especially I find on stairs. The design of such vacuums with the longer handle/nozzle is much easier to use than the generic upstanding cleaners. A few of the others have mentioned about the weight of the cleaner, however I did not see this to be a major issue. Although I wouldn't say it was the lightest I've ever used, it doesn't advertise itself as a lightweight cleaner, and in many instances, a reduction in weight normally impairs on auction power, so this would really depend on the individual.

There are however issues that I have found with the cleaner. Firstly the number of attachments that come with it. On the product page, the description does have three nozzles, of which for whatever reason, my version, the 9220, does not include the AeroPro flex nozzle, so for this I cannot comment. However the other two seem to work perfectly fine. As I mentioned above, I do generally have hardwood flooring, so I can’t really tell the difference between which nozzle is better for what surface etc. But I’m sure there are significant differences. But what I tend to do, is end up using (one of the four that I came in the box) of the attachments – the dusting brush, and use that for everything, whilst the other attachments, half of which I never use end up taking up a fair amount of space, in my mind, unnecessarily.

In terms of the specifications that the amazon page highlights, such as the handle, and the power regulation, I have to admit that these are quite good. For a handle, it is quite a neat and comfortable design (I’m not sure what else I can really say on a handle). The power regulation works on a scale so that you can increase/decrease the power for your needs, and the cleaner sometimes changes the settings automatically depending on what you are cleaning, which is quite clever. But for me, I tend to just put it on the highest for everything, but that’s probably because I’m just lazy.

Overall I would say that this cleaner deserves a 5, because despite my complaints with the attachments and the Compact and Go handle, it has obviously been designed this way, and the whole ease of use and reliability of the cleaner is really excellent.

Dropi Pure Icelandic Extra Virgin Cod Liver Oil Capsules - Pack of 120
Dropi Pure Icelandic Extra Virgin Cod Liver Oil Capsules - Pack of 120
Offered by The Health Cloud

2.0 out of 5 stars you are greeted with a great looking black and orange designed box, 2 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Upon opening the parcel from Amazon, you are greeted with a great looking black and orange designed box. It is definitely not what you'd expect from a health supplement, more like a fine fragrance. It is very minimalistic but first impressions look great.

However, when you open the box, you realise not as much thought has gone into the bottle itself. What you see in the photo is everything on the glass jar itself; a simple logo. The bottle looks cheaply made as you can see the join along the side of the jar, and the underside grooves don't sit centrally. It didn't really bother me but it was a stark contrast to the outer packaging.

After unscrewing the cap, there is a foil safety seal. Again, this looked rather cheap. It had no significant edge to remove the seal, like that on a milk bottle for example, so once I put a key into pierce the foil, it simply all came off as the adhesive simply didn't perform. I guess it could be removed and stuck back on again, it even felt like that could have happened here at some stage before I got it.

The packaging recommends 2-4 capsules per 'serving'. This seemed a bit excessive, but it didn't surprise me when I saw how small they were. Not only that, but they were not completely full, and if you turn it, an air bubble moves like a spirit level!

However, they were easy to swallow, but you do get a good taste of the oil itself about half an hour later as it digests! Comparing these to a basic sainsburys branded product I was using previous to this, they are simply not as good in terms of after taste.

Whilst it is very subjective about the effectiveness of cod liver oil supplements as a whole, it's hard to comment on their performance to my health compared to not taking them or to another brand, they are easy to swallow, don't smell but do repeat on you which isn't unpleasant but not something anyone looks for! I do believe looking at the price, and at the external packaging, that this is being branded as a premium product, but offers no advantage to a basic product. Sure you get 120 capsules, but if you are taking the maximum of 4 a day (recommended), it works out roughly as £1 a day! The lack of added health benefits, and an apparent attempt to make these as cheaply as possible - with what I'm guessing is a large profit margin - makes them a poor brand for me. I don't recommend buying them at all, and I will switch back to my sainsburys 30 capsules for £1.20 immediately!

Brilliant Answers to Tough Interview Questions (Brilliant Business)
Brilliant Answers to Tough Interview Questions (Brilliant Business)
by Susan Hodgson

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little book that I would thoroughly recommend to anybody ..., 26 Mar. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Great little book that I would thoroughly recommend to anybody with an up and coming interview.

The book is split into many chapters which split up different scenarios that may present themselves in an interview. It plays through some of the possible questions from each scenario and dissects the question and to look at reasons for good answers. This way it makes the reader think for themselves and consider out a rather more thoughtful answer rather than one that is pre-determined before the interview.

Sometimes however, it is hard to think of suitable answers, and whilst the book does give many great examples of questions with answers, it will definitely not apply to you every time.

Overall, this book is really good at making you reconsider an interview and think about how you can construct an answer. This makes for better preparation, but also finds yourself looking for other sources so that you can nail the interview.

Great book, p.s. I got the job I interviewed for

B&O PLAY by Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H3 ANC Active Noise Cancelling In-Ear Headphones with 3-Button In-Line Microphone - Gunmetal

5.0 out of 5 stars but not good enough. I recently progressed to a Bluetooth pair ..., 21 Mar. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For too long I have used iPhone headphones; durable, but not good enough. I recently progressed to a Bluetooth pair of beats which really opened my ears to the torture I had been putting up with, but this pair of headphones really are incredible.

Firstly the design: very smart looking in a matte black finish, with little styling. They have been made out of great durable material and feel like they will last a while. The headphone pieces are large enough to feel substantial but not obstructing or heavy. It comes with a simple 3.5mm jack which is L-shaped which too is sturdy and strong. On the cable is a typical 3 switch button, similar to that on the iPhone headphones, and others on the market. What I was unaware of was the device that this set uses for noise cancellation. About 10cm up from the jack is a - what I can only describe as a Vaseline pot sized - device that simply has a switch to turn on or off the noise cancellation. The nicely packaged retail box comes with a small velvet pull cord case, different sized silicon ear pieces, a small USB cable and your regular instruction/ warranty info.

Without noise cancellation on, sound clarity is incredibly balanced. Bass is prominent, but not so that is 'bangs' or overpowers the treble. At this point, I really noticed what I have been missing from some of my favourite songs, and how I have been abusing them!

Noise cancellation can be turned on with a simple push of a switch. A small light turns white and it indicates it is on. At this point, you probably wouldn't know it was on as it doesn't affect the sound quality. This is noise cancellation like I have never experienced. I first trialled it on a fast moving train, and this completely isolated any noise whatsoever. If you have music at a comfortable listening volume and your eyes shut, you could be on a desert island for the lack of external noise present! Once the USB powered noise cancellation device starts running low on power, the light turns red, and you know you will soon be back to the humdrum of commuting background noise. I haven't measured this battery life, but I reckon it's about 5 hours or so! It doesn't take long to charge back up, and easily are done within 30 minutes at a guess! What is perfect about this, is that you can alternate between having noise cancellation on or off as you please! If you run out of power to have it on, the headphones work as a normal pair and music will continue at the expense of your portable device battery!

At this point I should mention I use the ear pieces that are very much like the 'gummy' ear protectors you see bouncers wearing at music festivals. These of course are black and aesthetically matching to the design, but they are incredible comfortable for long periods. It's the first time I've come across these and I can't believe I haven't seen/used them on headphones before.

There are a few downsides I have experienced. The 3 switch plug is a bit fiddly. Volume up and down are no problem. But the button to pause/ play and skip songs (with a double tap) is a bit difficult to press, and I have more success pulling my phone out of my pocket to do it on screen.

The noise cancellation (Vaseline tub) unit on the cable is not too cumbersome, but it is a bit heavy and is awkward. It isn't low enough to fit into your pocket with your phone comfortably, and not high enough to avoid banging against your waist as you walk. I found this a bit annoying, but I was definitely glad I had the option of it should I wish.

Lastly, related to this, the noise cancellation unit doesn't give you much warning about low power. Yes the white light turns red when time is almost up, but it is very small and not obvious unless you are constantly stopping to look.

Overall, I have to give this 5 stars. The negatives are very much personally subjective, but as a pair of music playing devices, they are wonderful. They are not cheap, but if you are looking to treat yourself or can afford this as an everyday expense, I would highly suggest you consider these. Already, I am worried about losing them or replacing them when they finally give up on me. I hope this isn't for the foreseeable future, but my first experience with B&O has me browsing their other products already and trying to justify to myself what I can get next.

L'Oreal Paris Men Expert Hydra Power Refreshing Aftershave Splash 125ml
L'Oreal Paris Men Expert Hydra Power Refreshing Aftershave Splash 125ml

3.0 out of 5 stars I was disappointed with this, 17 Mar. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Since trying a couple of shaving gels from loreal, I was disappointed with this. Packaging looked great, compact size and secure cap stood out initially.

The product is a thin gel, almost liquid, which is blue in colour. It smells really good, quite strong, but fades gradually in intensity. Pouring a £2 sized amount into your palm, it is about the right amount to cover your freshly shaved face. You need to apply it rather quickly and efficiently as to not make a mess, but it applies well and is fast absorbing. It is instantly refreshing and cool upon the skin and genuinely feels good - along with the fresh fragrance.

However, this is where I see the benefits end. In the long term, it does nothing to relieve skin of sensitivity or sorenes. Razor bumps appear, making the skin look red and feel sore.

It definitely feels like a downgrade from my usual, slightly expensive, product that I use as it just isn't as effective. Sure it's better than nothing, and I will finish the bottle, but probably use it more like a moisturiser than anything. It is a good product, but not very effective as the reason for its main use. If this were to improve, I would definitely consider it again based on the positive factors I have mentioned, but sadly, I don't see it doing so in the price bracket it is set at.

Breville VKJ956 Impressions Kettle - 1.7 L, Cream
Breville VKJ956 Impressions Kettle - 1.7 L, Cream

4.0 out of 5 stars this product is great. It boils relatively quickly, 4 Feb. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a kettle, this product is great. It boils relatively quickly, isn't too loud and is well made.

The usual things apply like an apparent water gauge and a light that glows red when turned on. The kettle fits easily on its base doesn't require you to place it on in an exact orientation.

There are 2 things I am not a fan of. The colour and the design is good, but they don't look so great in a modern and plain kitchen. As a male in my mid-twenties, the design is probably better suited to my mum than me.

The other thing I don't like is the lid. The lid is completely detachable and doesn't have a hinge. It makes it a bid fiddly and for the few times a week I boil the kettle, it annoys me every time!

Great kettle, just make sure the design is for you! Can't blame it's functionality however!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16