Profile for D. Summerton > Reviews

Content by D. Summerton

D. Summerton

Crysis 3 - Hunter Edition (PC DVD)
Crysis 3 - Hunter Edition (PC DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars First Impressions - Running for half an hour (Will update when finished), 22 Feb. 2013
First of all my specs:

i5 2500k overclocked to 4.5GHz
GTX 570 1GB
8 GB of DDR3 RAM

Running on all high settings @ 1080p

The game is simply stunning. As mentioned in the title I have only been playing for half an hour. The two main scenes, rain and the beginning of the dome look, to me better than any of the mods that I have seen for the first two games.

As for the gameplay, suit powers seem to last longer than I remember them doing on 2, but I have been playing mostly Crysis 1 this week, so they may just be the same as 2.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2013 12:09 PM GMT

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PC DVD)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PC DVD)
Offered by 4GamersUK

3.0 out of 5 stars More of the same, but not neccessarily a bad thing., 8 Nov. 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is based on a full playthrough of the single player campaign and a short time online.

The game starts just after the events of MW2. America is on the brink, and it is up to a small task force to save the day. The first mission is one that we have already seen in E3 playthroughs and revolves around Wall Street. After about 20 minutes of playing you start to realise that Sledgehammer/Infinity Ward are not breaking any new ground in this game, and it does start to feel a lot like MW2. This isn't neccessarily a bad thing though, as I thought the story in MW2 was one of the best of all the COD games, but again, all the way through I found myself wanting something more.

The story itself is as action packed as ever, and just as 'Michael Bay' esque as the last game, with massive set pieces in pretty much every level, meaning that there is rarely time to take a breather before moving onto the next objective. The story mode took around 6 hours to complete on Regular diffficulty mode, and once the game kicked off got really quite good. Particular highlights for me are the Berlin missions which offer what little variety is avaliable with a game like this. The levels are still fairly linear, which again, is expected of a COD game.

As far as graphics go, they're actually pretty standard, which again was fairly dissapointing. I've spent the last week playing Battlefield 3 on Ultra settings, and to then go from that to console quality graphics felt like a bit of a let down. They don't feel as though they've evolved in any way since MW1 in 2007, which again could pose a problem for people like me coming over from Battlefield and playing MW3. Activision know however, that their money is made in the console market, and the game will sell phenomenally well regardless.

As mentioned above, I haven't spent a massive amount of time in the multiplayer aspect of the game, but from the short time I spent playing it I was once again able to work out that there wasn't anything groundbraking in terms of new game play. The new 'Kill Confirmed' mode could prove to be quite interesting, allowing a certain aspect of tactics to come into play, as players score a small number of point for an initial kill, but then the collection of the fallen enemies dogtag collates to more points. The tactics come from the idea of using the dogtags as bait for unsuspecting enemies trying to deny the kill by collecting their teammates dogtag before you, but that really is a far as team work goes. The maps cater kindly for the sort of gameplay COD fans are used to, mainly that of keeping moving and getting as many kills as possible.

Overall I would say that the game is very enjoyable. However, Sledgehammer/Infinity Ward haven't done anything new or groundbraking with the game and could quite easily just be an expansion pack. The game is better than the vast majority of FPS games that have come out this year, and definately beats Battlefield 3 in terms of story, but the multiplayer, where people will spend most of their time is where I feel Battlefield has the upper hand. The larger maps, the empahsis on team work and the varied game types, for me personally make Battlefield 3 the multiplayer game of the year.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 8, 2011 9:51 PM GMT

Love Ire & Song
Love Ire & Song

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest export we have, 27 May 2011
This review is from: Love Ire & Song (Audio CD)
Frank Turner is the greatest export the UK has right now. Having heard him on Radio 1 at the back end of 2009, and getting hold of his entire back catalogue, I feel that Love, Ire and Song is his strongest effort of the lot. Not only does Frank manage to say what many of us feel about not only our own lives, but the state of the country in general, but he does so with such beautiful melodies, that his voice manages to make me feel more than music rarely ever does. Listening to the lyrics on this album fills me with anger in that I can't express myself in the ways that he does, and how easily it comes to him. My personal favourites on this album are definitely Love, Ire and Song itself, along with the radio tracks of Long Live the Queen and Reasons Not To Be An Idiot. The albums acoustic/folk/punk rock sound really is a breath of fresh air in the frankly stagnant music industry we find ourselves lumbered with, and gives a glimmer of hope that the British music industry isn't as dead as it seems.

Homefront (PS3)
Homefront (PS3)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but has it's flaws., 19 Mar. 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Homefront (PS3) (Video Game)
I am writing this review having just completed the single player campaign on the game. Overall, I felt that the story and ideas were portrayed fairly well. The themes that run through this game are somewhat similar to the missions on Modern Warfare 2 in that you are defending the US from an invasion force, however this game definitely has more of a 'family' theme running through it, in that the people you are fighting with have clearly been together, fighting for a considerable amount of time.

After reading early review, which commented in the shortness of the single player mode I can see what they mean, the end of the story is rather abrupt, but it didn't really leave me feeling that I had been cheated in anyway. THQ have clearly left themselves open to creating a sequel to this game if they feel like it, and in a way it would be interesting to see the rammifications of the games ending. As far as graphics go, they're not the best you'll see, but I found that after a while i'd gotten over it, and began to enjoy the game for what it is. This is definitely not a game changer as far as FPS's go, but it's good in that it is trying to move forward, and bring the genre into a new style of storytelling. The story is actually the strongest part of the game, and the eerily nostrodamus like look into our future. Overall, the single player mode is solid, but does have it's flaws. I would probably suggest that people rent the game rather than buy, but that is before I take on the multiplayer aspect.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 25, 2011 9:23 PM GMT

Phoenix
Phoenix

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Album of the Year, 1 April 2010
This review is from: Phoenix (Audio CD)
I saw these guys play with Zebrahead/MC Lars last Friday in Manchester, and decided to buy the album after seeing their great set. Having never heard of them before walking into the venue on the night I wasn't sure what to make of it. As soon as I put it in the CD player I knew I had made a good choice in buying the album. From start to finish I found myself humming along. Great guitar hooks, and catchy lyrics combine to make this definately one of the best albums of 2009, if not THEE best album. As I said before, all the tracks are great, but for me, 'Desperation', 'Everything I Need' and 'Never Going Out Again' make the entire album.
A must buy for all Zebrahead, BFS and Green Day fans. And to make it even better, the band are really nice! Met them after the gig and all four signed my album and chatted to us, great group of guys!

LINE 6 POD STUDIO UX2 Audio interfaces USB
LINE 6 POD STUDIO UX2 Audio interfaces USB

3.0 out of 5 stars Great product, but some software issues., 22 Jan. 2010
I recieved the product this afternoon, and expected a simple plug in, and install of the software, but this was not the case. I am using a Macbook running Snow Leopard. When I installed the given software, I was asked to reset, but the computer would only boot up properly when I had removed the device from the USB port. It took around an hour of searching and various reinstalls and reboots before I finally managed to get it working. Once it was working however, it was incredibly easy to enable the device through Logic 9 and begin recording. During the short time I managed to use it, there was no discernable latency issues and the sound was crisp and well recorded. I would definatley recommend the product to someone, as long as they are willing to have to go through the lenghty install process if they are using Snow Leopard.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2010 6:00 PM BST