Profile for Pen > Reviews

Content by Pen

Pen (Switzerland)

The Affair: (Jack Reacher 16)
The Affair: (Jack Reacher 16)

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily the Best, 1 Mar 2012
Easily the best. Beautifully balanced, perfectly paced. I've now read them all, and 'The Affair' is easily the best. Relatively little violence (which suits me). After all, 'less is more' anyway. The plot, too, is spare and relatively straightforward. (I can't be bothered with complicated plot lines.) I'm much more interested in Character and Relationship. Although 'The Affair' keeps you guessing until the very end, as to who 'dunnit', the reason I cared who 'dunnit' is because Character and Relationships (including Jack's) are better drawn than ever before. Another reviewer complained mildly about the sexual 'detail' (unusual with Reacher). I think it works fine. After all, it's very easy to write that stuff 'badly'. And Lee Child simply doesn't write 'badly', about anything. This time he takes a risk. But, how cleverly! With a beautiful twist in the 'romantic' tail, He pulls it off. With good grace, and sweet humour! No reservations about this one. Lee Child has the knack of pleasing everybody (except perhaps a few Southern rednecks). I finished it, mellow and relaxed, at around 4.00 am. Just what he doctor ordered to fill a sleepless night. 'The Affair' is the only Reacher I might just read again!

Film Noir Collection [DVD]
Film Noir Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kirk Douglas

4.0 out of 5 stars Noir, not Douglas Sirk!, 13 Jan 2010
This review is from: Film Noir Collection [DVD] (DVD)
Great set of films, sharply transferred, only spoiled by including a colourised version of 'The Big Steal' - Hey, people, it's (supposed to be) NOIR, not Douglas Sirk! That's 'Noir' as in French for BLACK (and white). Also, strictly speaking, 'The Big Steal' doesn't qualify as Noir, anyway. Always a pleasure to watch Robert Mitchum, but this film is essentially a romantic thriller, not Noir. I haven't watched them all, yet, but the set would be good value for even the five (of the nine) that I have watched; including 'Double Indemnity' (timeless masterpiece), 'The Killers' (Burt Lancaster's startling first appearance), and, perhaps the best of the bunch, 'Murder My Sweet', (from the incomparable Raymond Chandler's 'Farewell My Lovely'). Dick Powell obviously has (and gives) fun playing Philip Marlowe, without sending it up. Great stuff!

The Oxford Dictionary of Plays
The Oxford Dictionary of Plays
by Michael Patterson

5.0 out of 5 stars A Theatrical Treat!, 11 Jan 2010
If you're interested in plays and their development the Oxford Dictionary of Plays is probably one of the best reference works around. I was embarrassed to discover just how many plays I thought I knew, but in fact knew next to nothing about. This Dictionary not only makes a fair stab at covering all of the most important (known) plays ever written, (from the year dot, 'til about 2005), but, wherever possible, also provides dates of first performance and publication. Genre and solid plot outlines are given for each entry, as well as critical commentary tracking, cross-referencing and integrating influences and origins. A great bedside - or 'looside' - delve!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 15, 2010 12:23 PM BST

Stormy Weather [DVD]
Stormy Weather [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ralph Lynn

1.0 out of 5 stars Bloody Awful!, 1 Dec 2009
This review is from: Stormy Weather [DVD] (DVD)
Ageist... Racist... Sexist... Snobbish... Xenophobic... Badly scripted, badly acted! The British at their absolute Worst! And all unconsciously so, to boot! What more can you say? They don't make them like this, anymore... Thank God! I wouldn't want to see this film again if you paid me in hard cash! Avoid at all costs! Bloody awful!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 28, 2011 2:37 PM BST

The Three Books of Occult Philosophy: A Complete Edition (Llewellyn's Sourcebook)
by Henry Cornelius Agrippa

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 22 Nov 2009
I first encountered Cornelius Agrippa as a very young man many years ago in a very short extract of his work appearing somewhere or other, and I was hooked. Determining to track down his Three Books of Occult Philosophy I was astonished to learn that (at that time) there were only two known places in the world where his writing was kept. The first was under lock and key in the Vatican (surprise! surprise!) and the second was in the University of Chicago Library (and only available in the Reference department to bona fide scholars conducting "serious academic research"). Disgusted by the extent of the apparent censorship in the so-called Free World, I gave up. But over the years Agrippa remained in the back of my mind as someone clearly worth reading. Then, recently, I stumbled upon the Llewellyn publication available on Amazon. Excited by its availability (at last!) I immediately ordered a copy (half expecting to be disappointed in my younger self's taste). On the book's delivery I was a wee bit intimated by appearances. It is, after all a hefty tome of some 938 pages, and, to discourage further, it is an OLD text, some five hundred years old, in fact, and, to top it off, pubished in a BLACK binding! But, and this is the crux of it all, be not discouraged! If you are at all interested in the most important source materials on the true nature of the world, this is THE book. Beautifully written, brilliantly annotated, and ACCESSIBLE! I speak here as a layperson and sceptic with very little esoteric knowledge and even less of the occult. Agrippa's treatise is a breath of fresh air in a the midst of a confusion of New Age waffle. Great stuff! Enjoy!

Greatest Hits
Greatest Hits

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor Me, 30 Oct 2009
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I bought this CD of Rick (or 'Ricky', as he then was) Nelson because 'Poor Little Fool' - included in this compilation - was one of my earliest experiences of Pop music. Thirteen or fourteen at the time, I found Ricky's mix of pure honey and self-pity (complete with lonesome echo-chambers) irresistible to my adolescent sense of emotional drama. Now, he seems rather quaint, and curiously vulnerable. Whilst having the fashionably voluptuous and androgynous looks of his contemporaries, including Elvis, the King, his songs never seemed to have the balls of the real Rock and Rollers. Perhaps I didn't, either. And that was his whole appeal, of course. In retrospect, 'Garden Party' will probably best stand the test of time.

Les Enfants du Paradis (1945) [DVD]
Les Enfants du Paradis (1945) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Arletty
Offered by Rapid-DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 30 Oct 2009
Probably all that can be said about this film has already been said. In a word: sublime. Virtually perfect. Every time I see Les Enfants, I see that there is ever more to see. Infinitely rewarding. Exquisite.

No Country For Old Men [DVD]
No Country For Old Men [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tommy Lee Jones
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars No Country for (Sensitive) Old Men, 26 May 2009
This review is from: No Country For Old Men [DVD] (DVD)
Having hitherto delighted in the Coen brothers, I am dismayed by 'No Country for Old Men'. In adapting their film from an existing (very) hard-boiled novel the Coen Brothers have sacrificed what they do best. That is to say: intelligent off-beat humor combining scary realism with heart and redemption. 'No Country' offers a world without hope, which is not only depressing but unrealistic. Unless, of course, you believe that everything is excrement. Ho Hum.