ARRAY(0xa3c4ab40)

Kitchen Craft Heavy Duty Chrome Can Opener with Plastic Handle
Kitchen Craft Heavy Duty Chrome Can Opener with Plastic Handle
Price: 4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars It opens tins, 9 Oct 2012
I bought this item as there was a time of beans in my larder cupboard and I was hungry.In notime the tin was ajar and teh beans were there. Unfortunately i'd forgotten to buy a an and I had to eat them cold.

BIC For Her Medium Ballpoint Pen (Box of 12) - Black
BIC For Her Medium Ballpoint Pen (Box of 12) - Black
Price: 15.45

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a pen, 9 Oct 2012
I bought these pens because I wanted to write something. Much to my suprise when I pressed it against the paper a black line appeared. In no time i was forming words and then sentences. i would heartilly recommend that anyone wanting to write things buys this pen or one like it.

The Passage
The Passage
by Justin Cronin
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Narrator and great story., 3 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Passage (Audio CD)
I'm glad I decided to listen to The Passage on Audio Book. Edward Herman is the narrator and his voice is superbly deep and rich. I've bought audio books where male story tellers attempt to do female parts and just sound 'camp'. Herman alters his tone just enough to make each character different without any detriment to the story itself.
It's a long tale but I was interested from the first chapter.
It's in two time periods. Modern day and then a century in the future (which is about 3/4 of the book).
You probably already know it's about Vampires (sort of)but not in the traditional sense. Think 'I am Legend' or the video games 'Fallout' and that's the sort of tale it is. It's a sci fi horror in that 'end of the world' era.
With the current trend of 'True Blood', or even worse, 'Twilight', Vampires have become civilised and socially acceptable. Thank goodness Cronin's vamps are monsters in the true sense.Scarey and seemingly indestructable or at least very difficult to kill.
It's exciting. I was driving the long way home to hear a bit more. You never feel that the human's are not the underdogs. These 'Viral's', particular the original 12 vampires (and the wicked 'Babcock') are scarey dudes. The fighting, chasing, hunting, hiding etc.are well described.You are listening to it and you always feel that an attack will occur at lightning speed and some poor person is gonna die.
The characters are interesting. Some of the relationships are touching. You'll have favourites, some who'll die, others who won't and make it into 'The Twelve' the next installment out in August 2012.
If you pick up this book and think 'that's huge' then treat yourself to the audio book. Neither will disappoint.

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Graphite
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Graphite

2.0 out of 5 stars WARNING-Schoolboy error makes this redundant, 25 Dec 2011
The all singing,all dancing kindle allows you to carry 1400 books around in your pocket. So, in theory, you can do this or, take the one book you are currently reading and leave the rest in your home until you need them.
The Kindle does not have a screen that dazzles you in direct sunlight...which in effect is very similar to a book with paper pages.
In bed, on a night time you need to have a light on to read a book....the same as a kindle. And there lies the problem.
It does not tell you in the all the hype that there's no way to adjust the screen brightness.
I found this out for myself on Christmas day when I opened the present my wife had bought me and was very excited to see how much I loved it , only for me to say 'It's going back'.
If you ain't in bright light the screen is dull and unexciting.
It's going back asap.
So here's what I did and saved myself 90.
I downloaded the free Kindle app to my phone.
The intro and book covers were in full, bright sharp,colour...the kindles are in black and white.
The text, size and style, screen brightness, background is adjustable.
The selection of books and ease of use is exactly the same.
I dunno about 1400 books but I have half a dozen on and it fits in my pocket no problem.
I can live with a 3 inch screen. What I can't live with is 89 for something that is made completely pointless and redundant by the manufacturers inability to avoid schoolboy errors. It's Christmas day and due to poor or neglectful advertising for this wonder product I've just told my wife 'Sorry but it's no good'.
You wanna read a book during the day-buy a book.
You wanna read a book at night without a light-use ya phone
You wanna waste 89-get drunk, do the Next Sale but don't be taken in by all the hype. There';s osme really basic errors that make the Kindle pointless in my opinion.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 25, 2011 11:20 PM GMT

The Sea of Memories
The Sea of Memories
Offered by SourceMediaUK
Price: 9.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Bush are Back....life's just gotten slightly better., 2 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Sea of Memories (Audio CD)
The 90's was a great decade for rock music. Bush were one of those bands, like Catherine Wheel, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Nirvana that could mix raw power with great emotion, melodies and lyrics.
Nowadays that appears to have gone. There's bands with raw power but little emotion (except anger) and bands with loads of tuneful sorrow (but not a lot of oomph).
I had no idea Bush were back in the studio until, by luck, I spotted the vid for 'All My Life' on You tube.
That's all I needed to buy the album 'Sea of Memories'.
It came via post a few days before I wrote this review and my initial impression was 'Wow'. I wanted a few more run throughs before I wrote a review though and I've done that in the car, at home and while walking dogs on my MP3. Basically there's been little else played since it arrived...it is that good.
Is it like the old 90's grungey Bush?
Yes and no.
Yes, because all the raw emotion is still tunefully and powerfully reproduced. This is still 'Bush', the same band that did 'Everything's Zen','Letting The Cable's Sleep' and 'Swallowed'.
No, because this is almost 20 years on and production in the studio has changed.
I can only say this is Bush 2011. The productions a little more modern, polished etc etc.
It's very subtle and I may even be looking at it too deeply to avoid saying Bush are exactly as they were.
Maybe they are and this collection of songs and this album is actually their best work so far.
That's unheard of surely. All comebacks are a disappointment to some degree are they not????
Well whether it's the very subtle production techniques improving Bush's wonderful style and songs or just the fact that they have got even better with the passing of time they've kicked out Sea of Memories', which, in my opinion is their best effort to date.
Surely there must be a tour that goes near Newcastle so I can get there.
Now we just need a similar comeback from Catherine Wheel.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 4, 2012 2:41 PM GMT

Wolfsangel
Wolfsangel
by M. D. Lachlan

2.0 out of 5 stars I gave up after a while., 13 May 2011
This review is from: Wolfsangel (Paperback)
Having just completed The Joe Abercrombie books in record time I was looking for a book that gripped me and held me and left me wanting more by the end.
Unfortunately, I didn't get to the end of this one.
The characters didn't excite me, the storyline left me luke warm at best.
I can't be over critical because I knew from quite early on that I wouldn't finish it.
I found myself being very bored,so I gave up.
I can't even say why. It was just hard work.

Dragon Age 2 (Xbox 360)
Dragon Age 2 (Xbox 360)
Offered by Game Dealz
Price: 6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Why You must buy Dragonage 2., 16 Mar 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Okay, I've just finished my first run through of Dragonage 2. I'll attempt to write a comprehensive review without any spoilers to the plot, so feel free to read on.
This game has received mixed reviews. I feel this is not because of the game itself, but because the hordes of Dragonage fans (similar in many respects to Trekkies)wanted, demanded and expected this game to be 'The Further Adventures of The Hero Of Ferelden'. Despite being warned months in advance by Bioware there is still an uproar when they don't get what they wanted.
The story is this.While the 'blight' that is the main focus of Dragonage Origins rages, a family of 4 get the heck outta Lothering (that village in Origins where you first met Leliana and Sten) and then head off to a completely new to the game location, a huge city called 'Kirkwall.'
Set over 10 years, this story is about your character's, ie one of that family's members, rise to being 'Champion of Kirkwall.
It ain't about another 'Blight'. The Darkspawn are in it, but not that often.
You start off creating your own character. You have to be a human called 'Hawke'. You can be a male or female and a warrior/ rogue/mage.
Like Mass Effect you can simply be the 'generic Hawke', or you can design your own.
This is like Origins but has more hair/beards etc etc and I found the character's I was making were much better than in Origins.
You are asked to give a history from Origins. There's three 'set' ones to choose or you can upload your own file. That gives you a plot summary about which Dwarf king is on the throne, who is King of Ferelden, what happened to Morrigan at the end etc. etc. These all have a bearing on what's about to happen.
It really doesn't matter what class you play as because the first massive improvement in DA2 is the combat.
Remember how it took you an absolute age to swing a double handed sword in Origins???? Gone. Lightning fast.
Remember the really soft, wimpy mages that stood at the back taking forever to cast a spell? Now they are like Ninjas with fire and they actually fight with their staffs.
And The Rogues???? Simply brillaint...too fast to watch properly half the time.
But the best thing about this, like Origins, is the superbly written story.
Origins was based on Lord Of The Rings. Number 2 has a very, very mature plot.
There's discrimination, corruption, racism, murder all going on in Kirkwall and you are smack bang in the middle.
There's two very different and distinct sides you can pick (and you have to pick one, no wimping out).
Your companions are divided in beliefs and loyalty. You can never please them all and not all will survive as a result.
Two side quests to give an example of how mature the story is:
1. You are hired to capture an escaped con. He kidnaps and murders children. You decide whether to take him in to face the law or simply gut him.'GUT HIM' you all cry...ahhh but it's not that simple. Is it really him doing it, or is he possessed by demons? And which ever you choose alters later story lines.
2. There's an early quest that introduces you to a serial killer you have to track down. This goes on throughout the game. Can you stop the killer before he kills someone close to you? I didn't!!!
The companions you encounter are, once again, fascinating and deep enough to woo them, flirt with them or get on their nerves and start to dislike them.
Some old favourites pop up for cameo roles but basically they're all pretty new with the exception of 'Anders the Mage' from DA Awakenings.
It's very similar in looks nd feel to Origians and yes, you can't change your companions armour (boo hoo), but it's a completely new story. The main character, your character, is now voice acted and each situation has a choice of replies. My second creation, a female mage is a bit cheeky with her dialogue and it's a very good voice over.
All I will say about the plot is this. At the very end you are left thinking 'There's gonna be a third one'. My guess is the third one will combine your two previous stories.
I also predict a third one is gonna see one almighty grudge match between Morrigan and Flemeth (the witches of the wilds).
It's as much fun as Origians, it's as enjoyable, but being 2 years later on it's improved a bit.
The story is much more 'mature'. I don't mean there's loads of swearing or sex but it is wise to note it's an 18 rated game.
Stop listening to the 'I wanted more of the same' brigade and buy this game.
It's great.

Nokia N8 Sim Free Mobile Phone
Nokia N8 Sim Free Mobile Phone

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid.., 18 Jan 2011
This is, by far, the most infuriating and annoying phone I've ever had the misfortune to choose.
I had a Sony Erricos but as I'm on an O2 contract I took the upgrade to keep up with everyone I knew with a super, all singing , all dancing mobile.
Big, Big mistake.
The first handset just stopped working after 20 days.
No reason...it just went off.
The guy at the shop looked at it and said, in his experet opinion...'That's broke'.
I tried to get him to give me something, anything else.
I had to take another N8.
Now, another 20 days later it's started up again.
Whilst on the phone to O2 about 'Poor signal, missing calls because for some reason the phone has decided to re programme itself to 'no ring tone mode'...which has happened twice...the call was disconnected and a huge X now stands where the 'signal strength bars' were. It says 'emergency calls only,' In effect, I am about to leave for work (where I must have a phone) and I'm hunting for my old handset.
I can't say anything ele except I've had two Nokia N8's break down and go wrong in 2 months.
Now surely, that means it's not a good handset to spend a lot of money on.

Dragon Age: Origins (PC)
Dragon Age: Origins (PC)
Offered by Game Trade Online
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Game ever made, 9 Jan 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Quite simply this is the best game ever made.
I have played it right through several times as a host of different characters.
Each choice in the game varies aspects of the story and the subsequent add ons.
The combat on the PC version is varied and exciting, whether you get stuck in with sword and shield, use magic to destroy your foes or play Robin Hood with some neat bow action.
There's romance, tragedy, rip roaring battles. I found myself actaully cheering a cut scene as the good guys charged the bad guys in the final battle.
Graphics are good, story is brilliant, voice acting great. The choice of weapons, armour and powers is almost endless.
My favourite part is the characters. You choose how to develop your relationships.
It's like a 'band of brothers '(and sisters) effect. If you like 'Lord Of The Rings' then go no further than Dragonage.
You think about it long after tyou've finished and undoubtedly you'll replay it again and again.
It will take over your life if you let it.

Best Served Cold
Best Served Cold
by Joe Abercrombie
Price: 7.19

5.0 out of 5 stars More great story telling from my new favourite author., 9 Jan 2011
This review is from: Best Served Cold (Paperback)
I bought this book as I was finishing 'The Last Arguement of Kings' by the same author so I could just carry on straight away.
It's a stand alone novel but set on the same world as 'The First Law' trilogy and once again it's the character development and combat that add to a well spun yarn.
Several of the 'supporting' cast from Abercrombies earler trilogy return mixed with some vivid and engrossing new people, including the lead female.
It's a tale of revenge. Think of 'The Count of Monte Cristo' and you've got the picture.
Tip for would be dictators: If you are going to double cross and murder the most lethal and dangerous assassin you've ever used to further your career....check they're actually dead or they may return to make things difficult.
Again, Abercrombie doesn't do 'predictable'. There's some brutal violence and some very graphic sex scenes all well written and plot essential.
The fight scenes are great, written better than anyone else who has attempted battles, skirmishes and one to one punch ups.
There were no boring characters. There were ones you will love and ones you will hate.
What happens to your heroes and villains will not be obvious, safe or made clear until well into the book.
You don't have have to read the First Law Trilogy before you read this but to fully enjoy it I would.
I've pre ordered 'Heroes', Joe Abercrombies next installment cos I just can't wait.
I have not devoured an authors work so eagerly and quickly ever.
Get into him now.