Profile for blurgirl74 > Reviews

Content by blurgirl74

blurgirl74 "blurgirl74" (London)

Disney Frozen - Mega Art Case ( Carry Along ) - Paint / Drawing Set with: Frozen Markers, Pencils, Crayons, Eraser, Sharpener, Liner, Notebook, Scissors, Stencils, Paint, Brush.
Offered by Canenco

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended., 9 Dec. 2015
Haven't opened it yet as a present but seems well made and am sure will be appreciated!

Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo [DVD] [2000]
Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo [DVD] [2000]
Dvd ~ Rob Schneider
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Contender for worst film ever, 21 Jun. 2009
This is possibly the worst film I have ever seen. Rob Schneider is awful, the plot is bad, the 'comedy' comes from the fact that blind people might smash things, people with tourettes syndrome might shout rude things and people making fart noises are hilarious. Aimed squarely at 12 year old boys. If you are not one then do not watch it. I'm serious - don't even watch it when it's on Sky Movies (there's 80 minutes I'll never get back). If you are looking for moronic comedy that's actually funny try Ace Ventura or There's Something about mary instead. PLEASE DON'T WATCH THIS - I DID SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 30, 2012 2:16 PM GMT

Donnie Brasco: My Undercover Life in the Mafia
Donnie Brasco: My Undercover Life in the Mafia
by Joseph D. Pistone

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm a girl and yet shock horror I still liked it!, 7 May 2007
This ia a really good read for most of the time. It is fascinating true life story of agent Joe Pistone who infiltrated the mafia and helped bring about over 100 convictions, he was so good he was within a whisker of being made a 'made' guy, an actual mafia member. Some reviewers seem confused by this book (see below) and seem to think it's fiction stating that Donnie Brasco wouldn't have survived 2 seconds...ummm...he was undercover for 6 years, it's true story you idiot! Anyway apparently 'one for the lads' but will be enjoyed by anyone who likes reading about ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances. My few minor quibbles are that after a while the endless scores and neverending list of badguys names becomes confusing and a bit boring but overall the story itself is so strong that it carries it off.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 14, 2008 12:44 AM BST

Back To Bedlam
Back To Bedlam
Offered by DVD Overstocks

3.0 out of 5 stars An opinion is not fact, 15 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Back To Bedlam (Audio CD)
I am moved to write this review only because of the narrow minded and pretentious views of one or two of the other reviewers. First of all, my review. This album is not great and will not last as an all time classic. However it does have a few genuinely beautiful songs on it with some heartfelt lyrics. Anyone who appreciates good lyrics and nice guitar riffs will like it. Anyone who doesn't like this kind of thing - won't.
Now to my real issue. If you don't like something it is unspeakably arrogant to assume that your opinion is fact and especially to imply that other people are stupid for liking it. I hate people who write reviews from some intellectual high point pointing out that music like this is 'background music' and people are 'jumping on the bandwagon'. If I don't like something then I don't buy it no matter how popular it gets. I have my own opinion and am allowed to like what I want and not to be made to feel that I am somehow musically incompetant. I like this album adequately enough. To some it will be rubbish, to some it will be amazing. That is the beauty of art - it is different things to different people and no one is right or wrong. Don't make people feel inadequate because they don't have the same opinion as you.

The Facial Analysis Diet
The Facial Analysis Diet
by Elizabeth Gibaud

2.0 out of 5 stars I gave up after two days..., 23 Jun. 2003
I was very excited after reading about the great results from Elizabeth Gibaud's facial analysis diet and wanted to give it a go. I bought the book and read it carefully. the first sections deal with telling you why the diet works and describing the 12 mineral salts that are important. the next section focuses on helping you to find out what facial type you are and after that comes the two day diet for each face type followed by the two week diet for everyone and then some recipes.
First of all I found that there were some fundamental instructions missing from the book. First of all it is not made clear how long you should take the mineral salts for (forever?just during the diet?) and if you can take more than just the ones recommended for your type if you feel you have the symptoms. Secondly why go to all the bother finding out what type you are when you only eat this particular diet for two days and then everyone regardless of type eats the same for a fortnight. Thirdly (and this is really unforgivable) there are no vegetarian options for the 2-day diet and although urged to stick to these two days as closely as possible I had to change the meat for fish. If I had been a total vegetarian I don't know what I would have done. Fourthly I was starving! On the two day diet you're probably consuming no more than about 600 calories a day and although you can fill up on all the raw salad and steamed veg you want you quickly begin to tire of it. Lastly though, it's so darned difficult to stick to because of the type of foods you have to eat. Assuming I had my own chef and didn't go to work every day I could probably lunch on chips with garlic butter and dine on buckwheat noodles with vegetable goulash (assuming any health shop in the universe actually stocks 100% buckwhat noodles because I couldn't find them). Unfortunately I have to work and cook for myself and this diet is just not practical. I'm sure it would have worked if I had stuck with it but it was so unenjoyable I just couldn't. I'll admit that I did feel as though it was doing me good but in that wholesome way that you feel good when you are munching 50 tonnes of raw veg and denying yourself alcohol, wheat, cheese and caffeine. I will try to have a few days a month where I cut down on these things to detox but basically I'm going to start counting calories again, yes the weight loss is slow but we all know it's the best way really and at least you can eat what you want - in moderation - and dandelion tea is not involved. I'm sure there will be those of you out there who have the determination to stick at this for the requisite length of time and if you just have a few pounds to lose then it might give you a whole new lease of life. Unfortunately I have a lot to lose and a few months of this diet would make me miserable beyond belief. Go for it if you want, I'm not saying it doesn't work but for practicality and ease of use it doesn't get my vote (and Elizabeth, if you're reading this, there are approximately 4 million vegetarians in Britain - and some of them are fat...)

Life Of Pi
Life Of Pi
by Yann Martel

5.0 out of 5 stars Big cats, big love, big impression, 23 Jun. 2003
This review is from: Life Of Pi (Paperback)
Life of Pi stands with Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude as the most surprising and inventive book I have ever read. The description I read of the book said simply that it was the tale of a boy marooned on a lifeboat in the middle of the Pacific with only a zebra, orangutan, hyena and tiger for company. I was prepared for a fantasy with talking animals who help Pi throughout an adventure until they inevitably wash up on the shore. What I didn't expect it to be was a savagely brutal tale of survival teeming with blood, viscera, fear, despair and the very real teeth and claws of a 450 pound Bengal tiger. What I also didn't expect it to be was a beautiful, moving, heartfelt, loving exploration of loss, determination, belief and spirituality. That it can be both these descriptions at the same time tells you something of the power of this work of art. Life of Pi will be to some people a cracking adventure story, to some a philosophical treatise on the nature of belief and religion and to some a dizzying and confusing mix of the real, the assumed and the fantasy. To me it was quite simply astounding. The realisation of the point the narrator makes to the Japanese investigators at the end made me laugh and cry at the same time and for the first time in ages I felt a tug at my soul towards a higher power. Everyone in the world should read this book and after the last word, close it, take a deep breath and come out changed.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2013 9:58 AM GMT

Experience
Experience
by Martin Amis

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I have ever read, 2 Jan. 2002
This review is from: Experience (Paperback)
I had never read any Martin Amis before coming to this book. I had my preconceived ideas about him and had assumed his was a very 'male' style of writing, some had said verging towards the misogynist so I had avoided him in the past but "Experience" completely blew me away. It is in turns funny, witty, clever, moving and simply brilliant. I read it on the tube to and from work and never wanted to get off either way!! I was not interested in either Martin or Kingsley Amis and so this book was rather an odd choice for me but I was totally absorbed in the story of his life, the relationship he had with his father, his teeth (!), his daughter, his murdered cousin. Even if you have never heard of Martin Amis read this book. It is as much a story about life and relationships as it is about a specific man. Since reading it I have also read The Rachel Papers and London Fields, both immensely well written but, for me, not particularly likeable. This book, however made me want to meet Amis and just give him a great big hug for existing.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 21, 2014 11:04 PM BST