Profile for Harry Coe Bean > Reviews

Content by Harry Coe Bean

Harry Coe Bean (Suffolk UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
HP ENVY 5532 Colour All-in-One Printer lab-quality photos with extra set of HP ink - Black
Offered by SKYWISH

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good!, 5 May 2015
Only had the printer for a few days and was slightly concerned with some of the experiences related in earlier reviews, but having retired-off my ancient but formerly very reliable HP all-in-one when it began to continually invent non-existent paper jams, I bought this as a replacement. Very easy to set up with my MacBook Air. Remove all the tape and transit packaging, then just followed the pictures on the flier that comes in the box and loaded the CD software onto the laptop when prompted. The little screen on the printer will take you through a short animated video to show you how to load paper and install the ink into the machine. Only hiccup came when I loaded the ink cartridges and a screen message told me I had not installed the correct cartridges. Took them out and re-installed them and hey presto "Genuine HP Cartridges" message appeared on the screen. I printed off a few dozen pages of documents, quality superb and no issues. Made some document copies, again no problems and excellent quality. I would describe myself as a light business user, mainly invoices and orders together with a fair bit of document scanning and copying. So far I am pleased with my purchase, I can retrospectively activate the wi-fi printing function at any time to print direct from an iPad or iPhone. The 5532 comes with a spare set of ink cartridges so represents good value for what this printer is capable of.

JBL OnBeat Micro Portable Speaker Dock with Lightning Connector and UK/EU Mains Adapter for iPhone 5, 5S, 5C, iPod Touch 5th Generation and iPod Nano 7th Generation - White
Offered by Zob 'n' Saf

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sound quality for the price, charges phone also, but lacks travel case the old model had., 28 April 2015
I do a lot of travelling and staying in hotels and I always took with me a previous generation version of this JBL docking station. The old model charged the phone and was very reliable piece of kit [although I did have to replace the mains adaptor after around 2 years of heavy usage]. I bought this updated version because of the constant need to have an adapter to accommodate the new lightning connection on the new iPhone. It is smaller and chunkier then my old JBL "doughnut" docking station, but has controls recessed, which is a better feature as far as I am concerned. Very easy to use and it also charges an iPhone/iPod when connected. The mains adaptor looks a bigger, more robust unit than the one that came with the older model, but early days yet, as all of these types of mains adaptor tend to suffer from the same problem where the cable goes into the main transformer case that plugs into the wall socket. Constant use puts a lot of flexing on this joint which eventually leads to the cable breaking down, and repairing this is not straightforward as the transformer box tends to be glued together to prevent user entry.
Regarding the sound quality, I also have a Bose Mini bluetooth speaker that cost around 4 times what I paid for the JBL so I am able to compare the sound with that, along with the sound of the previous JBL doughnut. The Bose has a much richer bass and sounds "bigger" and more detailed than both the JBL units, and for general listening sets a bit of a benchmark for this type of product. Listening to the two JBLs side by side there is very little difference in sound quality. Both lack a bit of depth in the bass area and both can sound a bit over-bright when you crank the volume up. When used to play back radio broadcasts the spoken word is clear and natural. For the price I would say the sound quality is pretty good. Couple of gripes; the old unit came with a travel case and this one does not. As I spend a lot of time travelling, having a cloth case to protect the unit from knocks and scratches was very useful. I found that the travel case supplied with the old model is fine for the new one. Also the old unit had a remote control pad which this one does not have, although personally I hardly ever used it. This is an excellent value for money product. I would have given it 5 stars but for the lack of travelling bag.

Premium Leather Flip Case for Apple iPhone 5S and iPhone 5 by TORRO (iPhone 5/5S, Brown)
Offered by TORRO Cases

4.0 out of 5 stars A cut above!, 13 April 2015
Arrived very quickly, within 48 hours of ordering. It was more expensive than most other cases I looked at, but this is very well made and after a few weeks of use it looks as if it will last well. The case holds the phone very securely, and if you need to take it out of the case, say to mount it on an older style docking station, it can be quite fiddly to get out. If you're using bluetooth of course then no problems. There's a neat little cut-out of a bull's head on the front which looks good and overall it looks smart and neat.

Snark SN14 Exclusive Limited Edition All Instrument Tuner - Black
Snark SN14 Exclusive Limited Edition All Instrument Tuner - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Mine has a mind of it's own!, 13 April 2015
Wasn't sure about this item at first. When it arrived all the outer packaging was intact but the inner box had clearly been opened and it looked like the tuner had been taken out of the original box and then stuffed back inside it.
Loaded the included battery, switched on; nothing on display. Bummer. Assumed battery must be dead and that the product must have been returned previously and just sent back out to me. Bought a new battery, loaded in and again no display. Ready to send it all back when I noticed small white chevron on LH edge of screen appeared to be lit up. Put it onto my guitar, played a string, hey presto easy to read display of note and whether flat or sharp comes up. Either the tuner I have is faulty, or the instructions are inadequate. I seem to have to wait sometimes several seconds after switching it on before it works. Do other people who have bought one of these find the same? It is very clear to read and easy to use once it cranks up.

LIVE!
LIVE!
Offered by jim-exselecky

4.0 out of 5 stars Great live atmospheric record and some superb guitar., 30 Mar. 2015
This review is from: LIVE! (Audio CD)
I bought this on vinyl in the early seventies and pretty much wore it out using it over a number of years to learn new ragtime songs for my folk club act. Grossman is a highly accomplished ragtime guitarist who apparently is still playing. There are some gems here, check out Soldiers March. Played in the key of F, dreaded for most guitarists it still sounds as fresh as when I first heard it 40 years ago. This is a live album, so you do hear the odd note not picked cleanly, but you get some wonderfully witty between-song anecdotes.
Glad its out as a CD. A rare and underrated talent in the annuls of ragtime guitarists.

120 Songs
120 Songs
by Tom Russell

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait, thanks Tom!, 30 Mar. 2015
This review is from: 120 Songs (Paperback)
Excellent publication with most of Tom's well known songs here, from early in his career to newer favourites. You get a paragraph or two from Tom with each song where he discusses the origin of the songs, when and whom he wrote them with etc,etc.. You also get a list of chords, separately from the words, with a bit of info on the actual key or capo position he uses. My only gripe is that in order to learn a song that maybe you don't know so well, you need to listen through the song several times to work out exactly where the chord changes come. Whether including the chords was an afterthought I don't know, but printing them above the words would have made life so much easier. I found myself writing these in pencil above the words. Tom Russell is a really top flight songwriter and Americana performer and is well worth making the effort to see live. He is doing a small group of gigs in the UK during the autumn so get your tickets booked now!

The Reeds [DVD]
The Reeds [DVD]
Dvd ~ Scarlett Johnson
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money., 9 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Reeds [DVD] (DVD)
This was initially described to me as a "cult horror movie" which I then decided to buy. What I got was low budget, with very poor acting and a weak, predictable plot line nabbed from Deliverance/Southern Comfort. You know, inbred locals attack visitors.
Fell asleep long before the end of the film and have not bothered to watch it again.
Save your money and your time, sorry!

12V JBL On Stage III iPod dock replacement power supply adaptor
12V JBL On Stage III iPod dock replacement power supply adaptor
Offered by Digidave

3.0 out of 5 stars Seems to be OK so far...., 23 Jan. 2015
Arrived quickly within 48 hours of ordering. It doesn't look quite as robust as the original but does the job OK, although sometimes it seems to charge the phone on the dock very slowly or hardly at all if I'm playing music and also accessing the net via the phone at the same time. The same weak point exists as on the original, which is where the cable comes out of the charger. This is where with constant use the cable always fails and its not an easy job to repair, hence the purchase of this replacement. So its OK, reasonably priced and will do the job.

Dentil Tooth-Fil Temporary Tooth-Filling
Dentil Tooth-Fil Temporary Tooth-Filling
Offered by 20Marketing

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tube!, 23 Jan. 2015
Arrived within 24 hours of ordering with very easy to understand instructions. You get a rigid plastic tube with an integral pusher to dispense the material and a small plastic spatula to help apply the filling paste. A large lump if filling had dropped out from a tooth at the back of my mouth and as I was working away from home I could not get to a dentist. Ideally you'll need someone else to actually apply the filling material for you. It is quite a tricky job to do yourself because you will need to use a mirror and seeing what is happening at the tooth is difficult because the hand applying the paste tends to get in the way! Fortunately I had access to a nurse who was able to do a fine job whilst I just held my mouth open wide! You have to give the filling 15 minutes to harden up after application but after that it just feels exactly like a normal filling. After 7 days the temporary filling is still in place as I patiently wait for a dental appointment.
This is a good product that does what is says.

Displex Scratch Remover for All Cell Phones/pda/ipod/mp3 Players/psp Lcd Displays.
Offered by HM-Trading

5.0 out of 5 stars I guess how good it works depends upon how hard the surface is ..., 29 Dec. 2014
Saw a brand new Longines watch in the window of a well known high street jeweller down-priced from list by over 25%. I spoke to the sales guy who said it was because of a scratch on the hexalite [plexiglass] crystal. As a true retro model the original crystal material had been fitted rather than a scratch-proof sapphire crystal that is used on modern high-end watches. I had to use a loupe to eventually find a small scratch around 2mm long on the crystal.
Now we're talking £250 plus off list price here, so I bought the watch and did a bit of research.
My tube of Displex duly arrived within 48 hours of ordering and I just followed the instructions on the tube. Hey presto, 15 minutes of hard rubbing later the scratch was totally gone!
I guess how good it works depends upon how hard the surface is you're trying to grind off? The more scratch resistant the material the more aggressive the grinding medium has to be?
For me it worked a treat and I would happily recommend this product for this type of use on devices with relatively easily scratched plastic screens.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4