Profile for M. sillitoe > Reviews

Sirens of the Sea
Sirens of the Sea
Price: 14.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, meaningful, intelligent electronica., 7 Jan 2010
This review is from: Sirens of the Sea (Audio CD)
I was out shopping for music one day in a large music store, and I came across an album by OceanLab. Now, the only track I'd EVER heard by them was a hard dance remix of 'Clear Blue Water' on the Frantic 2002 album, which I hadn't listened to for years. It was a fiver, so I thought, 'Sod it, I'll buy it!' and it has turned out to be one of the most 'value for money' purchases I've ever made!
Every track on this album is produced to the highest standard, with lyrics that are poetic, haunting and beautiful. Lyrics that most big label stars would dream of having printed in their album inserts. This album is a revelation for me. Subtle rhythms, some trance beats come into play here too, it's not just chill-out. The worst thing that people (including other reviewers) can do is compare it to OceanLab's previous work, honestly, WHO CARES? Listen to the album as a stand-alone piece. Put it in the CD player, crank it up, sit back and prepare to be transported on a vibrant, tranquil journey that will give you goosebumps.
Stand-out tracks for me are 'Miracle', with it's drifting synths, and beautiful lyrics, and 'On A Good Day', which is more trance-based, but is still an incredibly uplifting piece of dance music, with vocals to die for, chord changes that give me chills and an overall great vibe.
Seriously, if you see this album anywhere, for a fiver, or even a tenner, buy it, you'll be glad you did!
Sheer genius!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 10, 2013 3:39 PM BST

Clubland Xtreme Hardcore 6
Clubland Xtreme Hardcore 6
Offered by mrtopseller
Price: 6.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Average, but plenty of hidden gems within it., 28 Dec 2009
And so I have once again found myself buying the guilty pleasure that is Clubland X-treme Hardcore 6, and overall I have to say it's a pretty average outing for Styles, Breeze and Hixxy. What I will say is that amongst the extensive tracklist, there are moments of sheer production genius. Allow me to outline a few of the great tracks on this album:

Darren Styles - Outta My Head: This is a storming opener that pretty much sums up what CEH is all about - good(ish) lyrics, cheesy synths and those ever-pounding beats.
Dougal & Gammer - Models Are Ugly: This actually made me burst out laughing with one of the most hyper build-ups I've heard in a modern hardcore track. It's just plain different, and that's what I love about it, plus the fact that the title line, in all honesty, is pretty true, most models ARE ugly.
John O'Callaghan - Find Yourself (DS Remix): Oh my god! This remix is a piece of genius and my favourite song on the whole album! For a dance track, the lyrics are amazing, ("Looking at life through a loaded gun, take your best shot aim it at the sun, looking at life through a loaded gun, you know you'll find yourself alone"). Also, this track gets rid of the alternating 'beat, synth, beat, synth' staple that has become a hardcore fixture, and chooses to put the synth actually in time with the kickdrum, and the end result is a stomping piece of club finery! Love it!
DJ Gollum - Passenger: Most ravers will probably hate me saying this, but I think this is a really good track! Just listening to this when you've had a drink with your mates, it almost becomes a football chant, and people love it! I played this at a party I went to recently and regardless of the yank's voice, the sing-a-long chorus got everyone up, and got the party stomping, it was fantastic! A great party tune!
Dougal & Gammer - Boing!: What is up with these two? Every other track they churn out has some rediculous noise on it (eg Wii Go Crazy, Hardcore Turn It Up, The Tunnel) and this made me hoot with laughter. I love the humour they inject into their tracks. That's one thing I love about hardcore, it pokes fun at itself and never takes itself too seriously.

That's a very, very small selection of tracks, but to listen to the rest I guess you'll have to buy the album!
Overall, an average album, but with enough great tracks within it to justify shelling out your hard-earned. Roll on CEH 7 in the summer. This is the only dance album to see in 2010 with a bang!

Bohemian Rhapsody
Bohemian Rhapsody
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars muppet brilliance, 14 Dec 2009
This review is from: Bohemian Rhapsody (MP3 Download)
brilliantly well done.this would be my choice for xmas number one.would recommend to download.you wont be dissapointed.simply brilliant

The Cosmos Rocks
The Cosmos Rocks
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 4.12

4.0 out of 5 stars the cosmos rocks, 16 Sep 2008
This review is from: The Cosmos Rocks (Audio CD)
what a great surprise when i first listened to this album, I had heard mixed reviews beforehand but in my opinion it is a very good album.

Page: 1 | 2