Profile for M. Fitzgibbons > Reviews

Content by M. Fitzgibbons

M. Fitzgibbons "Mike" (Barnsley UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Bluffer's Guide to Rock Music (Bluffer's Guides)
The Bluffer's Guide to Rock Music (Bluffer's Guides)
by Eamonn Forde

5.0 out of 5 stars Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!, 6 Dec 2013
The Bluffers Guide to Rock.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I obtained the kindle version. Sex, drugs, rock and roll or sex drugs and sausage rolls! After years of working in IT I had seen a fair few dummies, duffers and bluffers guides of one kind or another. I like this sort of book because it often takes away all the 'mysticism' and often gives a good account of the subject matter at hand. I have been interested in music all my life, but I could never have acquired the knowledge or kudos to be regarded as a rock guru because of the width of my taste in music.

The moment I turned on and read the Hunter S Thompson quote, I was hooked. I soon found myself nodding in agreement as I read. I found the authors comments were much the same as my own perceptions. I found myself pausing and reflecting through some paragraphs in detail. The writing is full of information and yet the style is carefully crafted, slick and thought provoking. I found myself being whisked back in time. I was listening to music on my old digital walkman that I had not listened to for a long time. The book reinforces the truth that lay behind many old myths and and pointed out that much could be just explained away as plain stereotypes. I enjoyed the book, though I think the audience will be of a certain age.

Am I a rock guru now - no! But the trip down memory lane was wonderful. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

1,227 QI Facts To Blow Your Socks Off
1,227 QI Facts To Blow Your Socks Off

5.0 out of 5 stars QI on the kindle, 20 April 2013
Interesting and thought provoking facts provide entertaining reading. Its hard to quantify the quality as the book is targeted at a certain type of reader.

Horizon Fever - Explorer A E Filby's own account of his extraordinary expedition through Africa, 1931 - 1935

5.0 out of 5 stars Jeeves and Wooster do Africa, 20 April 2013
An interesting period in english history is brought to life with a first hand account of an African adventure. With images that add to the general ambiance as well as the freedom from political correctness in the text. No pretentions and peppered with interesting anecdotal asides Horizon Fever makes for a very entertaining read. One can imagine the cigarette holder and the glass of wine as the intrepid explorers relax round a camp fire. Jeeves and Wooster country.

Chickens, Mules and Two Old Fools
Chickens, Mules and Two Old Fools

5.0 out of 5 stars The good life in a sombrero., 26 April 2012
The story of a couple who are fast approaching retirement and feeling that they need a change in their lives. Joe and Vicky decide to play a form of Russian Roulette, that includes a soviet era "five year plan."

El Hoyo a small village in the mountains of Spain is their location of choice. The book is a delight in two ways, first the story and then all of the culinary recipes. With a Spanish flavour that are thrown in for good measure. Their new family includes a batch of chickens, with delightful names that reflect the chickens character. A handful of human characters including locals and expats. Not forgetting the mule in love.

All are woven into a light hearted tale. Reliving televisions "The Good Life" in a sombrero instead of wellingtons. A charming story written with a relaxed attitude that reflects the manyana lifestyle that Brits find so hard to understand - but all so easy to adopt. There is no central plot other than the building one. There is however, much to tempt both the heart and the taste buds.

Guardian of the Balance (Merlin's Descendants Book 1)
Guardian of the Balance (Merlin's Descendants Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Dipping My Toe, 30 Mar 2012
Not amongst my usual first choice for holiday reading was Guardian of the Balance. A raunchy re-write of the myth of Arthur Pendragon and his relationship with Merlin. Well researched and bringing a new perspective into an old tale. In places a bit fussy over detail, but never the less a well woven tale of of the times. I found some of the "American English" spelling a bit annoying and a spell check for an "British English" version would not be too difficult for the Kindle version. The characters are sometimes brutal which is a fair reflection of the times. More than anything else the story encourages the use of your imagination to build the mental pictures - that's always a good marker for me.

I enjoyed Irene Radford's book and I am certainly tempted to go back to read more. I enjoyed this first encounter.

Michael.

Tailored Wiremesh Headrest Mounted Dog Guard For Audi A3 Hatchback (2003 Onwards Model)
Offered by AoE Performance

5.0 out of 5 stars A good dog guard for the car., 10 Jan 2012
I use the guard with my Audi A3. It is of very good quality. Easy to fit and so far three excitable wire haired fox terriers have not been able to find a way past. The build quality is very good. It would be easy to adapt or adjust to fit many other vehicles.

Audi A3 2003-2009 Roof Rack Bars (these are high quality fully assembled roof bars)

3.0 out of 5 stars Limited value on a Coupe., 10 Jan 2012
The roof rack gives limited spread and is not usable for larger items when used on a coupe two door Audi A3. Construction and quality are very good.

mick

PK Green UK 13A Mains Socket Safety Tester, Plug
PK Green UK 13A Mains Socket Safety Tester, Plug
Offered by Cable Guy Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars A fast checker for mains electrical supply points., 10 Jan 2012
This device provides a simple fast checker for any mains socket. It can be used by anyone and alerts the user to any problems detected. I have found one item so far whilst checking sockets on my narrowboat and that was a disconnected earth wire. So as far as I am concerned it has paid for itself already.

Mick

Bat Detector Kit including Bat 5 Bat Detector + Soft Zip Case + Field Guide - British Bats

5.0 out of 5 stars Magenta Bat5 excellent results., 21 July 2011
We wanted a bat detector so that we could identify the various species we see whilst cruising around the UK canals on our narrow-boat. After reading most of the available on-line information we settled on the Magenta bat5. In the main because of the ease of handling and the digital readout which is good when you are in dark locations. We have been using the device for about a month. So far we have discovered that there are a great deal more bats around than you might at first think. Some species we found easy to identify. Others we needed to read a guide on bat calls. We are very happy with the choice we made and after joining our local bat group - it came as no surprise to find that most people in the group were using a magenta detector. The built in torch is very handy when moving around in the dark and the inbuilt speaker means that several people can share the experience at the same time. Whilst our experience has been short in time, we use the device every night when moored up or taking the dogs for a late night walk. Its good fun and we have come to realise that bats are a wonderful extra dimension to watching wildlife. We have also discovered that mice and bank voles also use ultra sound and we can use the detector when watching them.

A great bit of kit that will provide hours of entertainment.

Lock Keeper's Daughter
Lock Keeper's Daughter
by Pat Warner

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 29 Jan 2011
This review is from: Lock Keeper's Daughter (Paperback)
The Lock Keepers Daughter, author Pat Warner ISBN1858580757

This is the poignant story of a man who lost his wife and almost all of his children. His youngest daughter describes her childhood and their life together. He working as a canal lock keeper whilst being both father and mother. A joint biography of him as a provider and her reliving all of her adolecent years. This is a story of their shared privations living in an isolated lock keepers cottage, with no electricity, sewerage or running water. A story told by a first time author with obvious love and admiration of her father. Written from fond memories a simple story, simply told and a very good read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3