Profile for Judyblume > Reviews

The Memory Keeper's Daughter
The Memory Keeper's Daughter
by Kim Edwards

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read but could have been better!, 9 Jun. 2009
The storyline to this book is original, haunting and thought provoking.
Edwards captures the prejudice of 60's America perfectly and the first half of the book is a true page turner. I agree with other reviewers in that I liked the story of Caroline and Phoebe more so then that of Dr Henry and his family and I also found Norah Henry to be a very unlikeable character, more so in the second half of the book.

Unfortunatly I found as the book went on it felt that Edwards had lost her way slightly with the plot as it tended to meander off slightly into characters with no real significance to the plot (Rosemary for example..)
It could have done with being 100 pages shorter and Edwards tends to over do it on the descriptions of the surroundings etc as I found myself speed reading through them. However, it is worth a read, just a slight let down in the second half.

The Time Traveler's Wife
The Time Traveler's Wife
by Audrey Niffenegger

1.0 out of 5 stars Baffled!!!!, 5 Jun. 2009
I bought this book because of all of the great reviews it had, what a waste of money! I gave up half way through.. This book baffled me!
I really had to concentrate to follow what was going on... not worth it when you want to relax with a book. I felt I was studying!
My sister has this book also and feels the same way but her friend thinks it the best book in the world!
I suppose its either love it or hate it and I know where I stand on that one.

Breaking the Silence (Love Inspired)
Breaking the Silence (Love Inspired)
by Diane Chamberlain
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Addictive!, 5 Jun. 2009
I bought this book after reading Diane Chamberlain's "The Lost Daughter" which I absolutly loved. Breaking the Silence is not as good as The Lost Daughter but still a fantastic read. DC is gifted at creating likeable characters and her style of writing makes you want to turn the page to find out more.
This book has an outstandingly original story with enough twists to keep you reading. The ending is perfect and you dont feel let down when you have finshed the book, DC ties up all the loose ends.

I highly recommend this book, a great read.

The Drowning Girl (MIRA)
The Drowning Girl (MIRA)
by Margaret Leroy

2.0 out of 5 stars Readable.. just about, 5 Jun. 2009
I bought this book as it sounded like a great story and it was also being compared to Diane Chamberlain, who I rate very highly. It starts off ok but by the second or third chapter it becomes obvious that it has one level of storytelling. It never switches narrative from Grace which can become drab at the best of times, and quite frankly I found Sylvie to be an annoying character who we never really get to know. Had Leroy switched narrative to Sylvie throughout the book it would have made the story a lot deeper. I found it read like a school essay or short story at best with no depth to it whatsoever and one diminsional characters. I found Leroy's repetative use of descriptions extreamly annoying and the portrayal of Ireland is completley stereotypical.

A disapointing read overall, It could have been a really good story but failed miserably. the ending was a total let-down and left a lot of loose ends which I dispise in a book! If your going to charge people to read your book then at least finish it!!

Read it if you want a light read with no twists and a predictable ending, if you want a page turner with real depth I recommend Jodie Picoult or Diane Chamberlain
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2010 7:10 PM BST