Profile for Lilly Kate > Reviews

By Ace Atkins - Robert B. Parker's Wonderland: The New Spenser Novel
By Ace Atkins - Robert B. Parker's Wonderland: The New Spenser Novel
by Ace Atkins

4.0 out of 5 stars "Aspiration, Greed and Twisted dreams", 12 Mar 2014
I have to admit this is the first novel that I have read in this series and I was dubious. I'm glad I did try this out however, as I was nicely surprised.

Spenser is a private eye acting on behalf of an old friend, an old boxing trainer, as a favour. A seemingly simple favour however, soon transpires into something with a lot more than the private eye originally imagined. The pair are soon caught up in the sinister and political side of the Boston underworld.

This novel was gritty, brassy and forward thinking. I did slightly feel that as a female reader this novel was written with the male reader in mind.

However, I did enjoy the majority of this novel. It's not the best novel I've read this year, but it was fine to pass the time when the weather hasn't been up to much!

WJEC GCSE Mathematics - Higher Student's Book (WGM)
WJEC GCSE Mathematics - Higher Student's Book (WGM)
by Wyn Brice

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book for revision, 26 Jan 2013
Great book for revision - really thick with lots and lots of topics.

This book had a great structure in that it would explain the topic, show you examples and then give you questions to try.

I had a few issues however that stopped me giving this book 5 stars.
Probably most importantly was that there were no answers throughout so you didn't know if you'd understood the method correctly and were answering the questions correctly. This was the same problem as in the homework book.
The second thing was that I would have liked a better explanation throughout. Maths is not something that comes naturally to me, so I really had to push myself to sit the higher paper. I found the foundation level too easy but the higher more challenging. Therefore it would have been better for my learning, to have had more explanation.

For this reason, perhaps this book is a better accompaniment for school/college rather than being 'self-taught'.
It would probably be great as a refresher too!

I will say however, I did manage to pass the higher paper, so the book obviously did me some good!

WJEC GCSE Mathematics - Higher Homework Book (WGM)
WJEC GCSE Mathematics - Higher Homework Book (WGM)
by Wyn Brice

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for revision., 26 Jan 2013
A great little book for maths revision. It had a wide variety of questions and of course, covered all the topics that were on the syllabus and could show up in the exam.

However, like a lot of people, I found it a pain that there were no answers! It's a pain to not know whether you've answered a question right or wrong.

If they provided a section at the back with the answers this could have easily been a 5 star revision must-book!

James Wellbeloved Adult Duck and Rice Kibble 15 kg
James Wellbeloved Adult Duck and Rice Kibble 15 kg
Offered by PetsYouHave

5.0 out of 5 stars Our dogs love it!, 26 Jan 2013
It's always nice to try something different to eat so we let the dogs have that option too!

They've always hoovered up their bowls when we fed them the lamb James Wellbeloved, so i thought they might like a different flavour.

We have one extremely fussy eater (unless its the delicacy's from the kitchen bin, which she could rival Houdini for the time she can get in and out with goodies from there!). Although in all fairness to her, we've never really had a problem with her not eating at all with James Wellbeloved which is a welcome addition considering the trouble we had getting her to eat anything that wasn't from the bin or our food!

Our other dog will eat ANYTHING! So perhaps he's not the best dog to judge on what the food is like. Anything that is put in front of him he eats like he's never eaten before!

They are both big dogs, who have lovely soft coats with heaps of energy (perhaps too much when they're using the house as a racecourse!)
So the food seems to give them all the nutrients they need (with the kitchen bin as an afterthought now!)

Can't recommend this enough!

The Girl You Left Behind
The Girl You Left Behind
by Jojo Moyes

4.0 out of 5 stars The novel that you dream about..., 22 Jan 2013
"Two young women, separated by a century, are united in their determination to fight for the thing they love the most - whatever the cost"

I should start by saying that this is not the normal type of novel that i read so i felt that it would be a real chore to read this. However, I was pleasantly surprised!
The novel itself has a lovely cover, I was instantly drawn to it! JoJo Moyes tells two stories in this novel, one of Sophie and the other of Liv. Two women that live in different centuries but their stories are connected by one beautiful painting.
This is the novel that most authors dream of writing. I was thoroughly hooked on Moyes lovingly thought out words. I loved her tone, her choice of words, her characters, her scenery and her narrative! Every thing was so perfect! This novel was sweet, delicate and left me with a glowing feeling throughout!
JoJo Moyes has won herself a new (sometimes quite hard to please) fan. So much so that I've ordered the prequel 'Honeymoon in Paris'!

Two Evils
Two Evils

2.0 out of 5 stars No right, No wrong, No choice - No thanks!, 22 Jan 2013
This review is from: Two Evils (Kindle Edition)
"A missing teenage girl lies dead in a parking lot. Two young immigrants are killed in their apartment. Three men are found dead in the street nearby".

Gino and Magozzi are the two homicide detectives that are faced with solving these murders. They enlist the help of computer analyst Grace Mcbride, putting her in danger in the process.
I think it's probably fair to stop my review here and ask: have you guessed the ending already? If you haven't worked it out, then that's brilliant, why not try Harlan Coben instead as an introduction to how thrillers should be written. Two Evils is the usual, run of the mill, crime-thriller, whodunnit novel.
I have never read a P.J. Tracy novel before but throughout the lackluster novel I felt myself comparing it to novels I've previously read. I felt like I'd met the characters a million times before in better written novels. I felt that this novel tried to deliver the standards of Tess Gerritsen with Rizzoli and Isles (actually, the main characters reminded me of these quite a lot).
This novel lacked the originality, pace and clever plot. I felt myself turning the page and crossing my fingers that the authors were going to pull something out of the bag.... but they didn't.

I hate to be so negative about a novel and I feel so awful in doing so, but when I'm faced with a plot I've read so many times before, it's really hard to not be so pessimistic.

Held Up
Held Up
by Christopher Radmann

3.0 out of 5 stars A great premise that just missed out on 4 stars., 1 Aug 2012
This review is from: Held Up (Paperback)
Held Up is the debut novel from Christopher Radmann.
Paul van Niekerk is car-jacked at gunpoint at traffic lights. Perhaps not unusual against the setting of South Africa. However, this car jacking is different. His daughter is in the back seat of the car. This begins a spiral for Paul that changes his life.

`Their longed-for miracle. Now miraculously vanished. He must get her back'
The blurb seems to promise action, thrills and an all-out on edge novel set against the back drop of 1990's South Africa.
To be honest I felt a little deflated that the blurb promises a lot more than the novel delivers.

The novel, to me, seemed to borrow elements that I had seen before, such as the TV series 24 and the main character and idea seemed Liam Neeson-esque characters.

The story at times was a little slow and left me wanting a little more. Instead I found myself having to re-read parts where I had lost my concentration and my mind had wandered off, loosing interest in the novel.
However, the story really comes alive against the setting of `new' South Africa.
This clever setting by Radmann really helps the enjoyment of this novel.

To sum this novel up I would say it is well written and is a good idea, but just lacks a little something. It's a good read but just doesn't leave a lasting impression.

Speck Fitted for iPhone 4 - Brown Cookie Camo
Speck Fitted for iPhone 4 - Brown Cookie Camo

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job but deteriates, 3 May 2012
Loved the design of this, especially the fabric background.

Unfortunately the fabric does start to fray. The corners of the case have started to come away, but i suppose that is expected with fabric. I just expected sustainability and a great build from Speck.

The phone is still protected however, it's just the appearance has deteriorated.

Stay Close
Stay Close
by Harlan Coben

4.0 out of 5 stars A welcome return for Harlan Coben, 3 May 2012
This review is from: Stay Close (Hardcover)
Three people. A second chance to put things right.

Stay Close marks the welcome and much anticipated return of Harlan Coben to the psychological thriller.

Stay Close unravels itself around three characters. Megan, a suburban soccer mum, Ray, a talented, yet wasted photographer and Broome, a detective who is obsessed with a cold case. A case that revolved around a husband and father, missing for seventeen years.

A slightly predictable story line trails, three characters intertwined in an emerging secret that had been concealed and buried in their past. The difference with this storyline however, is that it's full of Coben's dramatic twists, turns and shocks - A winning combination.

As a long-standing fan of Cobens writing, I am drawn to this novel for many reasons. Coben, from the start, encourages involvement from the reader. You are instantly drawn into his characters, eager to turn the page, awaiting the next twist. The only problem with this however, is that you can't put the book down!
The ability that Coben has to engross, excite and involve the reader is perfectly demonstrated by him in this novel.

The only problem that I have with Stay Close is that although it's a fantastic read, I just can't help to compare it to Tell No One, Coben's stand out novel.
The issue is, is that Tell No One was extraordinarily exquisite. It was astounding and extremely hard to equal. Coben's writing is filled with suspense, shock and all-out thrills.

That being said, this should in no way affect your enjoyment of Stay Close. I thoroughly enjoyed it and if you love psychological/thriller/suspense/whodunit novels, the definitely add this to the list.

Harlan Coben, yet again, proves why he is one of my favourite writers!

Innotek Anti-Bark Spray Collar, Unscented Citronella
Innotek Anti-Bark Spray Collar, Unscented Citronella
Offered by Pet-Bliss - Delivering WORLDWIDE

4.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says, 3 May 2012
We recently rehomed a gorgeous, lovable dog. Almost perfect in every way, apart from he liked the sound of his own voice at night, a little too much.

We tried everything with him and nothing worked. We have another dog who is good as gold, and I often felt sorry for her when he started barking. She would look at us with the most sorrowful eyes as if to say 'make it stop!'.

After much deliberation we decided to try this, I wanted a humane solution and after trying everything else this seemed like the only option left.

Well what can i say? He had it on for a week in total.

Day 1 - A little bemused dog. Barking continued, the collar would spray. He would stop as soon as it sprayed but didn't seem to associate what happened with barking so would bark again after.

Day 5 - It all seemed to click into place. Silence!

Day 7 - We removed the collar completely. We haven't needed to put it back on either.

He does still bark, When he's on station at the window with his partner in crime, our other dog. But, that's not what we were trying to stop. We wouldn't want him to completely stop barking, that's not what a dog is about! It was the unnecessary barking we were trying to stop.

This product has worked miracles for us, A boy who goes to sleep at night - and a mum who can too! Perfect!

Page: 1 | 2