Profile for Johnash in Spain > Reviews

Johnash in Spain (Spain)

Alhambra expansion 6 the Falconers
Alhambra expansion 6 the Falconers

3.0 out of 5 stars Problems with this, 2 April 2014
We love Alhambra: a great and engaging game which keeps our minds active. We now have all 6 extension boxes, so each time we play, the game can be quite different. depending on which extensions we decide to use.

I snapped up this new extension as soon as I saw it and all four of the additions are good in their concept. However, there is a major problem with one of them: "The Portals".

Some bright spark has decided, in manufacturing them, to round the corners of the tiles. Two of the tiles together are supposed to be exactly the same size as all of the other tiles in the game (and this is how they are shown on the box AND in the instructions). But the tiles provided are significantly smaller making that particular extension unplayable.

I contacted Queen Games and they were dismissive of the problem, stating that tiles as illustrated on the box etc were not available and that all sets do indeed have tiles with rounded corners. Pah!

We are really hacked off about this but would still recommend this extension to avid fans of Alhambra, with the proviso that one quarter of what you are paying for is not as it should be.

Sony Walkman W273 4GB Waterproof MP3 Player for Swimming, Running and other Sports, with Wearable design - White
Offered by Advanced MP3 Players

4.0 out of 5 stars Kept me swimming, 1 Sep 2013
I have to swim for health reasons but find it incredibly boring. I was loaded this device with BBC Radio 4 programmes I had downloaded and was thenable to swim happily for more than my target hour a day.

However, there are some issues. Even with my gentle breastroke/my version of backstroke, the earplugs can fill with water which blocks the sound. It only happened with me because the right one was a little lose, even with the biggest ear plug provided. When I pushed it back in, any water in my ear was sometimes forced into the earpiece. It is a simple task to clear, which is covered in the instructions (though you have to look carefully for it).

I found that, by removing the earpiece, then tapping it quite firmly on a cloth a dozen times, this did the trick.

However, I have just had a more serious issue and have had to return it as faulty. Whatever I did, if failed to connect to any of my computers (USB) which stated that the device was not recognised. I suspect a fault on the connecting "prongs". No connection to a PC? Then this item is useless. It will not charge and it is not possible to transfer files to it.

The Amazon.co.uk returns procedure was brilliant and a replacement had been despatched the next day after completing the online form. Cost of postage was reclaimed by using the online chat facility. The full amount was credited.

I hope the new one will remain fault-free as I can't now swim for any time without it!

There is one more issue. It is not possible to fast forward or rewind through a file. So, with a 40 or 60 minute programme this can be a pain especially as, once you connect the device to the PC and access the files, it forgets where it had got to in playing back the last file played. The only way round this for me was to edit the programme I had been listening to, but not completed, and chop off the part I had already heard. This is a silly shortcoming and one that they could easily overcome with a firmware update.

Rentokil PSW97 Wasp Destroy Foam Aerosol 300ml
Rentokil PSW97 Wasp Destroy Foam Aerosol 300ml

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what it was, 31 Aug 2013
We have tried various brands of this and have to report that the formula of all of them must have changed. Ones we used in the past were ultra effective. A thick sticky foam was produced which enclosed the target (nest, or cavity etc) and killed whatever was inside.

The latest products we have tried all produce a thin and watery stream of almost-foam which drips off the target.

I guess the formula may have been changed for safety reasons but this change weakens the effectiveness of the product very significantly. Unfortunately there is no other product suitable for the non-professional to use.

Because the foam is nowhere near as thick as it used to be, I would caution that this makes it less safe to use.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Wifi unreliable, 18 April 2013
I already had an indoor Foscam so went for this one to monitor outside. These are not easy to set up at all but, as I had managed my previous camera, I thought this would be relatively easy. And it was. But then found that, although I sited it just the other side of a window from my router, the picture was unreliable. It would work for a period (anything for a few minutes to half a day) and then it would fail. I had to remove the power for an hour or so before I could get the picture back. And so it continued.

I spent many a frustrating hour trying to solve this, to no avail and eventually returned it for a refund. I suspect there may have been a problem with the very fragile aerial (antenna).

Instead, I ordered a Loftek Nexus 543 and this works perfectly and has a more substantial aerial and mounting bracket.

(This review is a follow-up to an earlier one, before the problems occurred. That review has yet to appear here).

Logitech Wireless Speaker Adaptor for Bluetooth Audio Devices
Logitech Wireless Speaker Adaptor for Bluetooth Audio Devices
Offered by Accessory-Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted., 4 April 2013
This is neat and it works. I connected it without any hassle to my tablet and am now able to play music/radio programmes etc through my wifi without cables. It does just what is says. And I can now forget it as it is there when I want it.

Only slight hassle is I have to connect it manually each time. It does not automatically connetc

IVSO? DETACHABLE Bluetooth Keyboard Portfolio Stand Case / Cover for Samsung Gal
Offered by Gambolex

3.0 out of 5 stars Good keyboard. Not so good case., 4 April 2013
The bluetooth keyboard was easy to set up and I can type quite well with it, including spaces which I have tended to miss on similar devices before.

The case, however, is disappointing. If this is leather then it is of very poor and "clunky" quality. To secure the tablet inside the case, you have to tuck a velcro tab underneath it, which is awkward, and the closing tab for the case should have had a magnetic closure rather than the tab which also has to be tucked in. Fiddly and also awkward.

It looks OK though, and I do recommend this because the keyboard is so good.

Panasonic V500 Full HD 1920 x 1080p (50p) 3D Ready Camcorder - Black (1MOS Sensor, 50x Intelligent Zoom, SD Card Recording, 2D/3D Conversion with Face Recognition) 3.0 inch LCD
Offered by K.K. Electronics

4.0 out of 5 stars My Best Camcorder Yet, 11 Jan 2013
I've owned around 5 camcorders since the early days. We bought this Panasonic V500 based on good reviews of its image stabilisation system. I had a Panasonic (3xCCD HD) camera before but stabilisation was not up to much so we replaced that with a Canon HV30.

This has served us well but my quest for steady video, especially from cars, continued. Also, we aimed to give up on having to use tapes which are a bit anachronistic these days.

After much research and finding a good price at Jessops(!), with 50pound back voucher from Panasonic, we bought the V500.

Our initial results are excellent. Especially material taken from a moving vehicle. The image stabilisation system intelligently locks on to the moving scenery and keeps it pretty steady. You can see stuff on the windscreen bouncing up and down whilst the road ahead keeps in frame. Comparing it with scenes taken on our old Canon, where we can see the road bouncing up and down and the windscreen steady, this camera is very impressive.

It is also nice to not have to rely on tapes. We bought a 64Gb SD SDXC card on Ebay for around 26GBPounds and this will store over 8hours of the highest quality non-progressive video. I tried filming in the highest quality "progressive" (1920x1080p) mode but saw little point as we have to render it back to interlaced for viewing on our TV anyway.

For a pockatable, light and very usable camcorder with the best image stabiliser I've seen, this is the one to choose.

Ronseal RSLCRR 75ml Colron Ring Remover
Ronseal RSLCRR 75ml Colron Ring Remover

5.0 out of 5 stars Great! Need to buy another can., 31 July 2012
We've had a can of this stuff for years and swear by it. Our cleaner is always putting her drink down on our wooden furniture (we live in Spain) and this stuff has come into its own, easily removing any white rings or other stains.

Just read and follow the instructions. It does do what it says on the can!

TomTom 1T50.060 Navigator 6 Full Product Great Britain
TomTom 1T50.060 Navigator 6 Full Product Great Britain

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy. No longer supported by TomTom!, 5 Mar 2010
I've been using this software for a number of years and love it.

Via the PC "TomTom Home" program, TomTom will offer you an updated map to buy. Beware, this dates from 2007. There are no newer maps available, nor will there be as TomTom have ceased all support for this version.

There is no new version that will run on my HP IPAQ so I have to buy a new SatNav or put up with old maps.

Thank you TomTom!