Profile for Mrs. Louise Mckay > Reviews

Content by Mrs. Louise Mckay

Mrs. Louise Mckay "Bookworm" (Wales, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
9ct Yellow Gold Ladies Wide Serenade Ring P
9ct Yellow Gold Ladies Wide Serenade Ring P

4.0 out of 5 stars Unusual & beautiful, 18 Feb 2011
This was a gift I received on a milestone birthday. Owing to the band width of the ring I needed to go up several sizes (I'm usually a size K but had to order an M). The design is truly beautiful, but after a few wearings I had to return it to Clogau to have the rhodium replated on the treble clef. Please don't be deluded about the Welsh gold content of this ring. Yes, it is a Clogau ring, but there is NO element of Welsh gold in this piece (not all the pieces made in 2005 incorporated it). That aside, it's a comfortable ring to wear, has drawn many compliments and is a piece of jewellery I shall treasure and enjoy for many years to come.

Terence Conran's France
Terence Conran's France
by Sir Terence Conran

5.0 out of 5 stars A little slice of France., 4 Sep 2010
I first came across this book about 15 years ago and just had to purchase a copy of my own. If you're a francophile then it'll be a little slice of France for you. The photos are so diverse and typical of the French and their country, you could well get transported away from your armchair. Although the book itself is quite dated by now, were it based on Britain it would most certainly be very evident. However, France in general hasn't succumbed to modern day trends quite as much as it has in this country, which probably goes part of the way to explain why it's still a coffee table favourite. The French, like many of their mainland European neighbours, treasure their heritage in terms of architecture, cuisine and other aspects of everyday life. This wonderful collection of photos demonstrates this perfectly, even if the text weren't included. Whenever I feel the urge to immerse myself in France and maybe either finances or time off work do not permit the indulgence, just flicking through the pages of Terence Conran's pictorial masterpiece is often enough to satisfy me.

Paris [DVD] [2008]
Paris [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Fabrice Luchini
Price: 9.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Though Provoking, 4 Sep 2010
This review is from: Paris [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I bought this mainly for the purpose of keeping up my French and improving my daughter's knowledge of the language. Unlike your typical box office hits, there are no sensational special effects or high drama in this film (which, incidentally, do nothing for me anyway). It is, however, essentially a film about people and feelings. In that sense, it is typically French and would not cut the mustard outside that country. The beginning can be a little puzzling, trying to work out how each character is going to fit into this jigsaw, but as the film progresses everything falls into place. Although the ultimate ending is never revealed (will the lead character's heart transplant be successful?), the film does have a relatively happy conclusion. After watching the film it's hard not to spend a moment or two looking at one's own life and imagining what would be truly important if faced with life on a transplant list - family and friends. Overall, a truly thought provoking and enjoyable film.

Cooler, Faster, More Expensive: The Return of the Sloane Ranger
Cooler, Faster, More Expensive: The Return of the Sloane Ranger
by Peter York
Price: 19.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Dreary!, 14 Jun 2010
Having read Mr York's two previous Sloane Ranger books, which were truly hilarious and uncannily accurate, I was most disappointed with this. It is quite simply a rather sorry attempt to generate a bit of income on the strength of his previous success. Best left alone - rather like those awful "Police Academy" films back in the eighties. The first two were funny - thereafter they were just plain irritating. Sorry, thumbs down.

Brideshead Revisited [DVD] [2008]
Brideshead Revisited [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Emma Thompson
Price: 4.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, 9 Nov 2009
Having read the book, watched the original series on t.v. and possessing the VHS boxed set, I was intrigued as to how on earth this epic tale could possibly be condensed into a film. I have to say that a damn fine job has been made of it too. Admittedly, there's no way this film could possibly capture every detail of the original version, but the casting was excellent (particularly the main characters - Sebastian Flyte especially)and Emma Thompson certainly gave Lady Marchmain the spark she lacked in the original version. I've been really petty and deducted a star for insufficient shots of the incredibly beautiful Castle Howard. The only character who slightly disappointed me was Anthony Blanche. Nickolas Grace, who played this role in the 1981 version, could never be surpassed. At the time he both shocked and delighted me with his outrageous portrayal of the character. Fortunately, he only appeared briefly in the film version so my dismay was short lived. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this classic and would eagerly watch it again.

Twenties Girl
Twenties Girl
by Sophie Kinsella
Price: 16.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly wonderful!, 23 Sep 2009
This review is from: Twenties Girl (Hardcover)
Another winner by this author. Hilarious from start to finish. A much loved author by myself and my two daughters (aged 14 and 19). The only (albeit very minor) drawback is that the heroine shares her characteristics with all the heroines in the other novels. In spite of that, a hugely enjoyable and thoroughly entertaining read. Well worth purchasing.

Jasmine Silk 100% 19 Momme Charmeuse Silk Pillowcase (IVORY) 50 cm x 75 cm - RRP 35
Offered by Jasmine Silk
Price: 17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted!, 4 Sep 2009
After searching for an affordable silk pillowcase for ages (they're usually in the region of 30), I was thrilled to find this one at Amazon. It arrived within just a few days and the quality is superb. I no longer wake up in the morning with my hair kinked or with pillow creases across my cheeks. It's better than the most expensive night cream!

Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook
Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook
by Sarah Raven
Price: 24.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 4 Sep 2009
A great book to keep at hand in the kitchen for those moments when you're either seeking inspiration for something new or whether wondering what to do with a glut of garden produce. I originally obtained a copy from my local library but found I was constantly dipping into it on an almost daily basis and needed my own copy. Although I'd definitely recommend this to anyone, I've only awarded it four stars because in my opinion it is way over priced (RRP 30). Fortunately, good old Amazon came up trumps with a more realistic price. The book itself is well presented with beautiful photographs and the page markers are an added bonus.

Love Letters
Love Letters
by Katie Fforde
Price: 10.66

2.0 out of 5 stars Tedious, 4 Sep 2009
This review is from: Love Letters (Hardcover)
I agree with some of the other reviews. This book is too tedious for words. In fact, it's been a real effort to bother reading to the end. The plot isn't bad at all, but the characters are weak and I was left with the overall impression that this novel was a rush job in order to make a fast buck. I've read all of Katie Fforde's books but this will sadly be the last. Things started to go downhill with "The Wedding Season", but having enjoyed all the others I thought it was a bad one-off. Unfortunately, this wasn't the case.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 22, 2010 9:13 PM GMT

Queen of the Cosmos: Interviews with the Visionaries of Medjugorje
Queen of the Cosmos: Interviews with the Visionaries of Medjugorje
by Jan Connell
Price: 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, 4 Aug 2009
I read this after a recommendation from another source. A lot of the information is the same as is published in many other books about Medjugorje, but it's exceptionally well laid out and what each visionary has said/experienced is nice and clear. There are also a few black and white photos. A light and easy read, very informative for those keen to learn more about the ongoing Virgin Mary apparitions in Medjugorje.

Page: 1 | 2