Profile for bevvyc > Reviews

Content by bevvyc

"bevvyc"

Offered by b68solutions

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff!, 7 Jan 2005
This review is from: Aha Shake Heartbreak (Audio CD)
Good, solid album from the kings. Bought this (not (breaking the law) pirated, copied, downloaded, borrowed, but paid for) through a recommendation from a friend, and I'm glad. Indie/rock isn't my normal scene, hence the 4*, but I thorougly enjoy this album. I also like writing a review on the music and not how annoying a copy protection is, surely this is what a review is all about. My fairly cheap CD player plays it great and I don't mind that I can't burn it and upload it 700 times, it makes it special, and the quality is not bad at all. And if I need to play it in the car, I take it to the car and play it, it's quite simple.

Offered by b68solutions

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff!, 7 Jan 2005
This review is from: Aha Shake Heartbreak (Audio CD)
Good, solid album from the kings. Bought this through a recommendation from a friend, and I'm glad. Indie/rock isn't my normal scene, hence the 4*, but I thorougly enjoy this album. I also like writing a review on the music and not how annoying a copy protection is, surely this is what a review is all about. My fairly cheap CD player plays it great and I don't mind that I can't burn it and upload it 700 times, it makes it special, and the quality is not bad at all. And if I need to play it in the car, I take it to the car and play it, it's quite simple.

Higher Forces
Higher Forces

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a grower, 15 Nov 2004
This review is from: Higher Forces (Audio CD)
Yep, the first listen makes you feel slightly unfulfilled, but play this album again and the funky rhythms and clever sample work coupled with the lightning-speed rapping will begin to grow on you. Play it another time and you'll certainly start to nod your head along and enjoy it more and more. I'm always happy to hear fresh new UK rap, and artists like Phi-Life Cypher and Cappo generally blow their 'American Gangsta Rap' counterparts out of the water lyrically. I say 'generally', because some of the verse on 'Higher Forces' are a little unpolished; however, I don't for one second believe that this is the best offering Skit Slam and the crew have offered, or can offer us.
I like the style, and the rapping is on the whole great, but for now, I'll continue bobbing away to this thoroughly enjoyable album in anticipation of the 5* album they deserve to achieve one day.
Favorite tracks are 'Overemix' and 'Free'.

Lost Horizons
Lost Horizons
Offered by Music-Club

5.0 out of 5 stars In a word.... MAGIC!, 12 Nov 2004
This review is from: Lost Horizons (Audio CD)
I challenge anyone to keep a straight face on hearing 'Nice weather for ducks'!! It's genius! The sample taken from an old Dutch nursery rhyme if memory serves me correctly. 'Lost Horizons' is Lemon Jelly's second contribution to the alternate electronica scene, and what a follow up it is, the duo elegantly mature their style beyond their first release (Lemon Jelly.ky) settling into a measured balance of skippy beats, folk-like chord patterns and fresh electro sounds, oh, and of course, the very well chosen samples. As with 'Lemon Jelly.ky', The band succeed in creating rolling melodies that warm the heart, and uplift, but always keep an undercurrant of 'Oddness' about their material; for instance 'Experiment No.6' tells the tale of a man injecting himself with some unknown substance in the name of science and recording the changes in his body until he dies... Simple as that. But don't let that put you off, as this album has many strings to its bow, and never fails to improve my mood, whatever the weather...
Highlights for me include, 'The curse of ka'zar', of course 'Nice weather for ducks' and my favorite on the album 'Space walk', which really does convey a feeling of floating in zero-G.

Threads
Threads
Offered by Music-Club

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheer up Choons, 11 Nov 2004
This review is from: Threads (Audio CD)
If you've had a bad day, put Threads on, and Backini will certainly lift your spirits with this treat of an album. Threads' Trip-hoppy beats and scratching are a unique but well executed accompaniment to the samples of jazz and boogie from the 40's and 50's that remind me of the amazing deck work of DJ Yoda's 'How to cut and paste' series. Although never a dull moment throughout, I personally believe that an extra push on the diversity of this album could make it 5*; but this being Backini's first release, I can understand the need to play safe, laying the foundations for some serious funking up of this cool style in the future I'm sure! Well worth the purchase!

Rounds
Rounds

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and kinda Haunting, 11 Nov 2004
This review is from: Rounds (Audio CD)
Mr Hebden has certainly achieved his own style of beautiful and almost haunting melodies and sounds. The 10 tracks on rounds seem to convey feelings such as loneliness and also proactivity. It's quite weird, to tell the truth, but addictive to listen to at the same time. In short what I'm trying to say is that Rounds, as with the other Four-Tet instalments juxtaposes itself in way that doesn't offend but keeps you intrigued and wanting more; a very skilled, and very post modern work, and I look forward to the future of Four-Tet.

Car Boot Soul
Car Boot Soul

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm and Cool!, 11 Nov 2004
This review is from: Car Boot Soul (Audio CD)
DJ Ease has managed effortlessly to create his own dubbed out Soul/chill style which always manages to create a smile or a slow head bob in appreciative acknowledgement. Carboot Soul is a very fine example of his best original work and every person I meet who enjoys good music has a copy of this beatifully crafted album. 'Les Nuits' kicks us off with its gorgeous string sample and soft bass line, and sets the tone for this cozy in front of the open fire social album that flows through casually from start to finish. There are some more up tempo moments (Ease Jimi being one of my favorite tracks ever!) to keep the momento, but overall, this is one to unwind to. 5*