Profile for Michele > Reviews

The Sonnets of Michael Angelo Buonarroti and Tommaso Campanella
The Sonnets of Michael Angelo Buonarroti and Tommaso Campanella
by John Addington Symonds

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Italian sonnets, 12 May 2014
These sonnets are as beautifully created as Michelangelo's paintings, sculptures and structures. Through them his soul is bared as he is torn between the spirit and the flesh, complicated by the nearness of death and his failing powers (Life is so brief and little now I have - 69).At times he can justify the true and mutual love he has for a youth in the face of disapproval(If both love one another with the same/passion, and if each other's good is sought/by both, if taste and pleasure and desire/bind such a faithful love-knot, who can claim/either with envy,scorn,contempt or ire/the power to untie so fast a knot? - 32). He regrets how little time remains to enjoy it(If love has come to me when life must fade/if I desire though death must touch me soon - 48). Yet feeling dishonoured by carnal love he seeks inner beauty as a reflection of God(God in no other way has shown his grace/than in a lovely and a mortal veil/in which I find He is Himself reflected - 56). Mortal beauty ensnares and obstructs the search for bliss and salvation(If mortal beauty satisfies desire/completely,then it did not come from heaven;such strong emotion comes from human fire/But if I pass beyond this and have striven/for heavenly things,I need not be afraid/that I by base desires shall be waylaid - 57).All his life Michelangelo felt he was moving from 'dark to dark'(To me was sent the dark time, I know well/for it has always been with me since birth- 41),and as it encroaches in old age he turns to God for consolation. The soul's union with God is the surpassing love. The tautness and tenseness of the artist(I am a Syrian bow strained for the pull - 5)no longer suffices(Painting and sculpture cannot anymore/quieten the soul that turns to God again- 65)

Il piccolo Principe
Il piccolo Principe
by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a very cute edition, 3 May 2014
This review is from: Il piccolo Principe (Paperback)
This is a very cute and unique edition of Il Piccolo Principe in the Italian translation. The edition (2014) has a lovely dark blue cover with the little prince standing among the stars on his light blue planet. It is produced by Mask Press and, if you are a collector, I definitely advice you to buy it.

Under the Shadow of Etna: Sicilian Stories
Under the Shadow of Etna: Sicilian Stories
by Giovanni Verga

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Italian short-stories of the Nineteenth century, 21 April 2014
Giovanni Verga is one of the most important novelists of the Italian '800, together with Pirandello and Manzoni. These are awsome short stories on Sicilian peasantry. In one of the stories, about the character Gramigna, Verga gives, in the form of a letter to his friend, the novelist, S. Farina, a sort of brief exposition of his literary manifesto. They are evergreen short stories of great narrative and sociological value. This edition is well edited and printed. I have bought my copy at a book fare and I have loved reading it.

Jorge Mario Bergoglio come Papa Francesco a Roma: La vita, la carriera e le parole di Papa Francesco
by Anna De Simone

5.0 out of 5 stars Un libro chiaro e piacevole senza pretese teologiche: per tutti! :), 13 July 2013
Questo libro chiaro e lineare spiega come con Papa Francesco sia giunto un nuovo tempo per la Chiesa cattolica. Io mi sono lasciata ispirare dalle storie della vita serena del nuovo papa e ne sono contenta e soddisfatta..
Il libro contiene anche molte foto e discorsi originali del papa.
Si tratta di una biografia chiaramente intesa a presentare in termini semplici e accessibili a tutti la vita e la carriera di Francesco I, il Papa, che vuole una Chiesa per i poveri, la pace e la comunicazione globale.

Until Further Notice, I am Alive
Until Further Notice, I am Alive
by Tom Lubbock

5.0 out of 5 stars diary pages of intelligence and emotion, 11 May 2013
I have now read Tom's book "Until further notice, I am Alive". It is a wanderful book, in my view a masterpiece.

I have cried, trembled, smiled. I have acknowledged the author's vision of the world and also the way his brain would face the personal crisis, analytically and with a profound, concerned, even humorous affection for life's goods and evils.

There is an incredible depth and vastness, a fantasy and honesty, a sense of reality and imagination in Tom's suggestions.

Tom has left a gift to us all.

Not only in this diary have I recognized Tom's attitude towards life, but in his detailed descriptions I have also felt resonating his philosophical style of reasoning, his incredible approach to, and competence in the visual arts which used to characterize his speech.

Some observations, in the odd pages, have reminded me of Martin Heidegger, Eugene Ionesco, and William Blakes.

I think I have received this diary the way probably Tom Lubbock wanted us to perceive it: a legacy, a gift, a transversal existential message.

As a reader, I feel grateful of the self-reflexive effort Tom Lubbock has made, which is so meaningful also for us.