Profile for Nick Green > Reviews

Sex,Lies and Stereotypes: Challenging Views of Women, Men, and Relationships
Sex,Lies and Stereotypes: Challenging Views of Women, Men, and Relationships
by Gary W. Wood

5.0 out of 5 stars Gender Myth Buster, 15 April 2008
Really busts all of the gender myths that endlessly do the rounds. Discovered this after reading the author's personal development book 'Don't Wait For Your Ship To Come In. . Swim Out To Meet It!'. Both are great read and really say something that other books miss. Although I've only skimmed so far, Sex, Lies and Stereotypes covers a staggering amount of ground in a small space. I skipped to the chapter 'Warning: Gender Stereotypes are bad for our health'. Fascinating stuff. I get the feeling that the book can be read on a number of levels which unfold after repeated readings.

Don't Wait for Your Ship to Come in... Swim Out to Meet it: Tools and Techniques for Positive Lasting Change
by Gary Wood

5.0 out of 5 stars Empowerment above all - the definitive self-help book., 11 April 2008
No question this book is about empowerment! There's no mystery to where the tools and techniques come from. Dr Gary Wood tells you WHY they work with great clarity and humour. I like the focus on solutions (rather than problems) and on personal strengths (rather than weaknesses)and how we can build on the natural inclinations that we all have and how we can transform even negative traits into something useful.I really love his idea of 'positive worrying' and how we can create positive pictures and self talk that builds us up rather than weighs us down. Don't Wait For Your Ship To Come In. . .Swim Out To Meet It! uses an amazing array of water-based analogies to get the points across. I particularly like 'Waterwings and Concrete Galoshes' to describe how we verbally sabotage ourselves. Overall, it's perfect balance between theory and practice. It certainly does raise the game in terms of what we are used to in self-help books. It'll make you laugh too. And I really like the way the book goes the extra mile. There's a great further reading and resources section and lots of fun extras. Finally, Dr Gary's two-minute stress-buster is so simple, but surprisingly effective. For me, this really is the definitive self-help book!