Profile for George Fletcher > Reviews

Content by George Fletcher

George Fletcher "George" (UK)

The Railway Detective Collection: The Railway Detective, The Excursion Train, The Railway Viaduct (The Railway Detective series)

3.0 out of 5 stars the action moves along nicely and there are plenty of human interest threads interwoven ..., 26 Nov 2014
These books are ideal for holiday reading. They aren't taxing, the action moves along nicely and there are plenty of human interest threads interwoven into the plots. It helps if you like trains and railways, but that isn't a prerequisite.

After reading a few of the series, the plots do appear to be rather formulaic, and a lot of the action is of the "with a mighty bound he was free" genre. If you like tortuous "whodunnit" novels, then this probably isn't for you. The culprit is usually pretty obvious, it's the motive and the "Mr Big" behind the crimes that will have you scratching your head. However if you want an undemanding read to relax after a busy day then this fits the bill very well.

Dockers Men's Signature Khaki D2 Straight Fit Flat Front Pant,Navy,34X34
Dockers Men's Signature Khaki D2 Straight Fit Flat Front Pant,Navy,34X34
Offered by Bot's World

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable quality..., 11 Jun 2014
...but soooo expensive. You can buy these in the US for <$30. The price here seems to be more than twice as much.

Under the Radar: A Novel
Under the Radar: A Novel

3.0 out of 5 stars Under the Radar - and below my expectations, 26 May 2014
If you are ex RAF and want to wallow in a reminiscence-fest about the good old Cold War days, then this book is for you. It follows a crew wrestling with just about everything that can be wrestled - their role, their responsibilities, their place in the world, and in one case, his sexuality.

From the cover notes I was expecting a thriller, and although there is a plot in there somewhere, it takes second place to the reminiscing. Just when you expect it to flare up, it doesn't, and eventually it just fizzles out.

Some of the book is interesting, but probably only to people who are or were in the RAF. For the rest of us, it's not the pot boiling page turner I'd hoped for. I did learn a bit about Britain's nuclear strike capability in the 1960s though, so I did get something out of it.

Inferno: (Robert Langdon Book 4)
Inferno: (Robert Langdon Book 4)

3.0 out of 5 stars Inferno - the usual Dan Brown fare of a thriller wrapped in a guide book, 3 July 2013
I think we are all accustomed now to Brown's Robert Langdon modus operandi - a lot of action set in a very short time frame (just a couple of days in this case), with a wealth of detail about the places in which the book is set. In this case it's Florence, Venice and - just to be different - Istanbul.

The action rolls along quickly, the chapters are very short and it's easy to read - there is some Italian, most of which is helpfully translated, and that which isn't is pretty obvious from the context. The plot is pretty implausible though, you really have to suspend belief for a lot of the book. Goodies are baddies, baddies are goodies, some people are both baddies and goodies, so it's all a bit of of a jumble really. Things aren't helped by the Boys' Own Paper style "with a mighty bound he was free" action scenes. The number of times we are told there's just no escape for Langdon, and then he escapes - is frankly ludicrous.

The descriptions of the Italian architecture is interesting and vivid, and the ending leaves the door open nicely for a sequel. For Dan Brown fans, I'm sure this will be a hit, for others tuning in to find out what all the fuss is about, many of them will be somewhat perplexed by all of this.

Nonetheless, it's an undemanding, untaxing holiday read and a nice advert for the Italian tourist board.

The Hunt for Red October
The Hunt for Red October

3.0 out of 5 stars Not brilliant, 12 Jun 2013
It's ok, but not the thriller I was hoping for and expecting really.

There's an enormous cast of characters that I had to keep going back to clarify in my mind.

Also, as mentioned, the e-book version contains a lot of spelling mistakes and grammar errors.

It's just not as good as I had expected.

Sony BRAVIA KDL37S5500U 37-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD TV with Freeview
Sony BRAVIA KDL37S5500U 37-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD TV with Freeview

4.0 out of 5 stars Sony TV great, Amazon service not great, 13 Sep 2009
I bought a Sony Bravia KDL37S5500U.

It's excellent.

I bought it from Amazon because it was advertised with a free stand. I bought it for this reason.

The order page was complex, with the stand having to be ordered separately. I did fill it in correctly.

The TV was later delivered with no stand. When I complained to Amazon, I was told 'either you didn't fill out the form correctly, or we ran out of free stands'.

I did fill out the form to the best of my ability, and if I did it wrongly then the form is just ludicrously difficult. If Amazon run out of stands then they shouldn't imply that there were unlimited numbers, and then not deliver because they were out of stock.

TV - great. Amazon - not great.

CaddyAid Mobile
CaddyAid Mobile

4.0 out of 5 stars CaddyAid Mobile is very good, 18 Mar 2009
This review is from: CaddyAid Mobile (Sports)
I have a Nokia Navigator 6210 mobile phone. I got that phone because I wanted a satnav, and didn't want to buy a dedicated satnav device.

I wondered whether I'd be able to find a golf distance measuring application for my phone, and sure enough - CaddyAid mobile is it.

You download one piece of software (for free) which allows you to run the application. Thereafter each course is £10 or less, depending on whether you subscribe.

It works really well, it means I don't have to have a dedicated device to take out on the course with me, and it's very cheap.

The information is displayed as a list of distances (to the front and backs of bunkers, ponds, ditches etc) as well as the front and back of the green. There's no depiction of the hole itself, just a list of yardages. Except on courses with a lot of blind holes, I think this is fine. Data accuracy is comparable with Skycaddie.

I recommend it - it's a good product.

Wolfcraft 2207 Super Pump Attachment
Wolfcraft 2207 Super Pump Attachment

4.0 out of 5 stars Wolfcraft drill powered pump, 13 Aug 2008
Having seen the first review for this pump, I cancelled my order for the Draper pump and went for this one instead. It works really beautifully, no priming required. I didn't have any problems with leaks either.

It's a great value pump.

My only complaint is that I had to buy the connectors at each end to attach hosepipes, and these cost almost as much as the pump itself. Surely it would be possible to put the connectors on, and charge a couple of quid more? They are just plastic connectors, and Homebase and B&Q etc make a fortune out of selling them.