Profile for Wrennables > Reviews

Content by Wrennables

Wrennables

Life Of Pi
Life Of Pi

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and thought-provoking and thoroughly enjoyable, 15 Feb 2013
This review is from: Life Of Pi (Kindle Edition)
I couldn't put this book down, and now I've finished it I can't stop thinking about it.

The first section of the book describes Pi's life in Pondicherry, including how he found religion. I'm an atheist but found the way Pi talks of religion beautiful. I've seen reviewers say that Pi or the writing is pompous, but I didn't find it so at all - I read it as the words of a boy describing things he loves, and it was lovely to read.

The middle section was where I really got into the book, and couldn't put it down. I felt like I was there with Pi and wanted to know what happened to him.

The last section poses a question, and I suppose what you feel the answer to be tells you something about yourself. This is what I can't stop thinking about.

I got this book for 20p on Kindle but would be equally happy with it if I'd paid the full RRP - it is up there in my top 5 books of all time I think. The only thing that I thought could have been better was the chapters in Italics, which it took me a while to realise are the thoughts of the Writer when meeting a grown-up Pi. I don't know if I was slow to catch on, or if it's deliberately confusing, but I thought I was still reading from Pi's point of view and did find it confusing.

The book didn't make me believe in God, as I've seen suggested, but it was incredibly thought-provoking and I don't see why atheists wouldn't enjoy it just as much as believers. I would recommend it to anyone and everyone.

Fifty Shades Freed
Fifty Shades Freed

1.0 out of 5 stars Something dodgy going on with the reviews!!!, 10 Dec 2012
I haven't read this, or the others, but have logged in to see I've posted a 5* review! Don't quite know what's going on.

Chequered Justice
Chequered Justice

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish everyone would read this, 8 Aug 2012
This review is from: Chequered Justice (Kindle Edition)
I found this book really hard to put down and would definitely recommend it as a good read anyway, but I particularly think everyone should read this just to get an idea of how easy it is for things to go wrong in the pursuit of 'justice'. It is obvious that there was corruption involved in this case, but even without that, it is clear that our legal system has many shortcomings that people should be aware of.

The book was gripping and in parts heartbreaking. I would love to see this made into a film so that more people could hear this story.

How To Be a Woman
How To Be a Woman

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my idea of feminism, 9 July 2012
This review is from: How To Be a Woman (Kindle Edition)
I am so skint at the minute that I paying £3.70 for a book feels like quite a big deal, and I want to get my money's worth, but that is the only reason I've persevered with it as far as I have (I got to 80% and skim-read the rest).

I've given it 2 stars because I think maybe my expectations of this book were wrong, and maybe as what it is it's OK, just not my cup of tea (it is quite funny in places). I bought it because an article about feminism that I read cited it, and I was expecting a bit more of a discussion of feminism, rather than a light-hearted memoir. But it's basically a book about shoes, clothes, how to not look fat, and celebrities. And it's full of statements of the author's beliefs as facts, often without any justification.

Caitlin Moran can't walk in heels, so heels are anti-feminist.
Caitlin Moran flirts a lot so flirting is OK. And she likes pole-dancing so that's OK. But she doesn't like strip-clubs, so strippers are letting down women everywhere. But she does like Burlesque, so that's great.
Gossip mags are awful because they're always slagging off female celebrities, but they're not as awful as Katie Price, who has most of a chapter dedicated to how awful she is.
Bikini waxes are anti-feminist, small pants are awful, but everyone should have beautiful uncomfortable bras.

I feel like I've just read 10 issues of Cosmopolitan back-to-back, but without any pictures.

The Busy Little Train
The Busy Little Train
by Anna Claybourne

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 19 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Busy Little Train (Hardcover)
There's a lovely train-like rhythm to this book and it's perfect for bed time - me and my husband both love reading this to our 1-year-old and he loves it too. We know the words off by heart now and I whisper them to our little boy if he wakes in the night and it seems to settle him. We got it from the library but loved it so bought a copy.