Profile for John RC > Reviews

Content by John RC

John RC (Surrey, UK)

HAMSWAN Hd 1080p Sports Helmet Dv Dash Car Camera 12m H.264 Waterproof to 30m Underwater
Offered by KINGSFAITH

5.0 out of 5 stars A good camera at a good price, 9 Jan. 2014
Bought this to use as a dash cam in my car.
Generally, I am very pleased with the result. The footage is very clear even when filming at night, and even when only using headlights there is enough light for a good picture of the road ahead. Licence plates on other cars can be read easily when cars are steady, such as when moving at the same speed or in traffic queues, although when moving past / overtaking letters tend to be blurred. Night-time colours less distinct, but the picture is crisp and clear. Sound is quite clear, you can hear conversations in the car. There is an option to turn off sound recording.
The exposure adjustment responds quickly to light/shade during the day.
Plenty of mounting fittings of different types, though not a very consistent set of bits. A somewhat bulky assembly when mounting on the windscreen using suction cup (included in kit). I think they could do better. I tried a fitting onto the top of the dash, this was less bulky but not so firm so there was a bit of vibration in the picture. I am still experimenting and may need to cannibalise the parts to make my own combination to get the best result.
The camera can be set to start recording when power (ignition) is turned on, and stop when turned off, so it can be installed and then forgotten until you want to transfer pictures.
I have set it to record 3-minute segments, this is pretty good as each segment overlaps, about 10 secs - very clever idea. Once the memory is full, starts to overwrite the earlier recordings. 3Min segment is around 355MB in HD. My card 4GB allows for around 10 segments = 30 mins before overwriting.
I have not used the waterproof case yet so cannot comment, though it looks good and strong with tight closure.
Out of about 1.5 hours of footage taken so far, there have been around six quite alarming incidents of people shooting lights, sharp manoeuvres in tight situations, aggressive driving, speeding etc. I have not posted anything to YouTube yet but sorely tempted!
I downloaded a short section of video with this review but the quality has been reduced by Amazon. To see better quality go to[...] for night-time footage and [...] for daytime (motorway) footage - and remember to select HD 1080 quality.

The Cult of the Amateur: How Today's Internet Is Killing Our Culture and Assaulting Our Economy
by Andrew Keen

1.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a damp squib, 14 Jun. 2007
Andrew Keen has the right credentials to address the question of the cultural impact of the web and it is a subject of interest to me, so I was intrigued by the title and the reviews. However, I was really quite disappointed by the book. I now have some suspicions, rightly anticipated by Keen himself, about the reviewers who said it is "beautifully written" and the work of "an intellectual Goliath".

The style of the book is polemical, which in my view detracts from, rather than strengthens, his message. Andrew Keen's hypothesis is that the internet, or rather the mass contribution of its content by "amateurs", is a threat to "our culture and our values" or something that might destroy "the institutions of the past". At the centre of this hypothesis is the argument that the millions of amateur contributors of free, unregulated, biased, poor quality and downright untrue web content are undermining, obscuring or preventing the contributions of professionals (amongst which Keen presumably counts himself) which are high quality, truthful and . . er . . costly.

Yet I find his arguments are weak and contradictory, and the metaphors and anecdotes he uses often cut both ways. There are so many examples it is hard to pick one as an illustration. Keen quotes from George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four to provide a flavour of what might become of us through our mass ignorance and rejection of expert guidance - "Two plus two makes five" might eventually be considered true - but he misses the point that only in a totalitarian state could such an untruth be accepted as true. The "democracy" of the web is precisely the sort of mechanism that would prevent this being possible. He also stoops to some fairly crude character assassination in describing the background of those he disagrees with: "Drudge was a mediocre student who came to the media business via a job managing the CBS studio gift shop". I think Einstein was a mediocre student and worked as a technical assistant in the Swiss Patent Office.

Keen also avoids two obvious questions - why should "our culture and values" not change - as they have been changing for centuries - and why should the "institutions of the past" not give way to the institutions of the future? Indeed, the essential success of the United States as an ecomonic and social power has been precisely because of its readiness to embrace the new and change its institutions to accommodate it.

In the end, Keen finds that the solutions to his problems are already emerging: the courts are being used to pursue flouters of copyright law; entrepreneurs previously behind mass contribution sites and blogging are starting to use experts and professionals to supply material and "maintain order". Perhaps the future is not so bleak after all. So why all the fuss?

Finally, an admission. I am one of Keen's much-vilified "amateurs". I do not review books professionally, nor would I consider myself to be well-read. But Keen's readiness to berate the "amateur" in the name of some "professional" and quite condescending superior authority got up my nose a bit and I felt compelled to respond.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 28, 2011 10:04 PM BST

Siemens SE 25M850 EU  Dishwasher
Siemens SE 25M850 EU Dishwasher

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet, efficient, reliable - a good machine, 13 May 2007
I bought the SE25T850 (looks the same, not sure what differences may be) 15 months ago. It has had a full load every day for most of that time and never given any problems. Easy to set up and use, with clear and simple controls. I like the way the controls are hidden when the door is shut, with a clear illumniated LCD display on the front to show progress during a programme.

One of the best features is the automatic checking of the cleanliness of the waste water - which means that the water consumption and programme time adjust automatically to how dirty the dishes are or how big a load is being washed.

I would certainly recommend it.

Follow-up January 2014: We still have this machine after over eight years continuous use. It has never had a fault, is still very quiet and has never failed to wash well. The controls are still clear and robust, although a little worn. When it eventually expires and goes to the kitchen in the sky where the dishes are always clean, I will buy another Siemens.