Profile for Gamelover2302 > Reviews

Content by Gamelover2302

Gamelover2302 (Rutland, Great Britian)

Page: 1 | 2
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Ultimate Edition) [Blu-ray] [2016] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Ben Affleck

2.0 out of 5 stars Most disappointing film of the year for me, 9 July 2016
My friends and I enjoy watching superhero films, and at first I was sceptical of this film. I thought to myself "how could Batman possibly fight Superman? Supes could throw him into the sun with no effort at all." The trailers changed my mind - from them I thought it looked like it would be a good film. The trailer, however, was easily better than the full motion picture.

Easily the best thing about this film was Affleck's performance. A lot of people had their doubts, and I don't entirely blame them, but he absolutely nails both Batman and Bruce Wayne. This is an older Batman, one who's got past his parents' death, and gets things done. My favourite scene in this film is where a group of thugs are staring at the door waiting for Batman to emerge, and then he surprises them by coming up through the floor. The actress who played Wonder Woman was pretty good, although she didn't have much to do. Well, that's the good stuff over with.

The actor who plays Superman is either a terrible actor, or he just couldn't be bothered. He delivers his lines as if he's reading them off a teleprompter, and has hardly any emotional range. Jessie Eisenburg gets Lex Luthor completely wrong - in the comics Luthor's a calm, collected genius. Eisenburg plays him as if he's the Riddler.

They seemed to be trying to push a justice league film in here, and that whole plot could've been left out. Speaking of, this film clocks in at well over 2 hours and it didn't need to be - a good 30-40 minutes could've been taken out, and the film would've been much better for it. The actual fight between Batman and Superman was extremely disappointing. And then when Doomsday shows up, it's just explosion after explosion after explosion.

To wrap up, this film's a mess. It doesn't know where to focus, and as a result it's just not a particularly enjoyable film in my opinion. If they'd got rid of the Justice League stuff, found a better actor to play Superman and trimmed it down, it would've been a much better film. Overall, I just can't recommend this on any level.

4/10 - Poor

Side note: I hear Ben Affleck's going to be directing and starring in another Batman film. I have high hopes for that personally - he's proven himself as a talented director with Argo and The Town (I hear Gone Baby Gone is great too), so hopefully that one will be better.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy [DVD] [2011]
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Gary Oldman

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 31 July 2013
While I do love action films, once in a while I prefer something a bit quieter. A film where you have to focus, and character development and plot trump stuff blowing up. Frost/Nixon and Inside Man are 2 of my favourite films. Theoretically then, I should've loved this one.

But I didn't. It opens with a very exciting scene, showing an operation that went wrong. Afterwards you learn that it was meticulously planned but those dastardly Russians had a mole buried right in the heart of the operation, and that's what made it go wrong. That sets up the premise for the film: catching the mole. And that should've made for a really interesting film. But it just didn't.

Rule number 1 for any thriller is: make sure the audience always know what's at stake. I had no idea what was at stake here. What secrets are the Russians trying to steal? My Grandfather, who watched the film with my parents and I, later told me that at that time we had nuclear weapons the Russians did not. But no mention of that is ever made in the film. And nothing ever really happens in this film: 99% of it is just people talking. I wouldn't mind that, but none of the characters are particularly interesting or memorable. The only name I can remember is Smiley, and the only line I can remember is "The West has become so very ugly." Another problem is they keep showing flashbacks of events that happened in the past - but at no point do they ever say "5 years ago" (or something like that) so it kept jumping around and I had no idea what the hell was going on. Half an hour in I just gave up and started daydreaming. Honest to God, I have never been this bored in a thriller.

If you read the book, you probably won't have the same issues I did. I don't think that's a good argument though - a film should be able to stand up on its own. As it stands now, I really can't recommend this film on any level. If you want a quieter thriller, then get Frost/Nixon, Inside Man or Argo.

4/10: Poor.

(Would've been 6, but the opening and cast made me expect something better. Unlike stuff like Movie 43 which was terrible the minute it left the boardroom, this had the potential to be a really good film, and it blew it.)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 21, 2013 8:29 PM BST

A Good Day to Die Hard [DVD]
A Good Day to Die Hard [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bruce Willis

1.0 out of 5 stars You know all that stuff you loved about Die Hard? This has none of it, 8 Jun. 2013
This review is from: A Good Day to Die Hard [DVD] (DVD)
Oh how the mighty have fallen. One of the most iconic film franchises reduced to this. Let me explain why this film annoyed me so much.

The original Die Hard trilogy holds a special place in the hearts of most fans of action films. Back then (and it's much the same now) most action films had a lot of explosions, a lot of stunts and over the top scenes, but were a bit short on character and story. The Roger Moore Bond films are a key example of this. But then Die Hard came along, and we had a main hero who got hurt and who felt mortal. He wasn't a super spy, or a general in the army. He was just a man at the wrong place at the wrong time. That made him feel much more relatable than other action stars of the time.

That's all gone here. John McLane is now being thrown off helicopters without a scratch, having clips of heavy machine gun fire emptied at him with not one bullet coming close. I'm quite tempted to buy the DVD so I can watch the deleted scene where John gets injected with the Super Soldier serum. OK, so Die Hard has abandoned its roots. But is this still a good film?

NO! The script is absolutely terrible. If you drank one shot of vodka every time John McLane says "I'm on vacation" you would die of alcohol poisoning. You can't hear half the dialogue over all the music and explosions. In another film, that would be a bad thing. But since the script here is so terrible, and the acting is sub par (Bruce Willis does his best, but you can only do so much with this material), you're actually grateful for the bits you couldn't hear. And John McLane's son is an annoying whiny brat who never stops complaining about John not being there for him. Mind you, if John McLane was my father, I'd disown him - every time he shows up, terrorists appear.

This film is just horrible. It's sad to see such a great franchise fall this low. Please, please don't buy this. If you want an action film with a good plot, get Jack Reacher, Skyfall or the original Die Hards (1 is my favourite, but 2 and 3 are still good). If you're not that bothered about story, get The Raid, Avengers Assemble or Dredd. I hope this franchise does die now.

Verdict: 1/10. Infuriating.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 25, 2014 4:16 PM GMT

Django Unchained  (DVD) [2013]
Django Unchained (DVD) [2013]
Dvd ~ Jamie Foxx
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't do it for me, 1 Jun. 2013
I've never been a fan of Tarantino. Pulp Fiction is the only film he's done that I really enjoyed. I thought Inglorious Basterds was good, but not exceptional. I hated the Killbills.

This film was a mixed bag for me. There are some things I really liked in this film. I think the locations are beautiful, and although it does take a while to get going once it's in full motion it is a good fun film to watch. The actors all do a great job and (if he hasn't already), I hope Leonardo wins an Oscar soon. He steals every scene he's in here. He is the standout actor in this film. I think it had a good premise as well: a blaxploitation crossed with a western is an intriguing idea, and I hope someone comes along and does it better. Now for the bad stuff.

It's almost 3 hours long, and that is too damn long! It really could've done with tighter editing - there's a good 45 minutes to an hour that could've been shaved off this film, and it would've been much better for it. It also didn't seem to know what kind of film it wanted to be. At times it was trying to be a dark comedy; at times it was trying to be an edgy drama; at times it wanted to be a western; at times it wanted to be a blaxploitation; at times it wanted to be a straight up action film. And it just ended up a bit of a mess.

By no means is this a bad film. If you're a Tarantino fan you'll probably enjoy this. But I think it's been a bit overrated. It's good, but I wouldn't say it was Oscar worthy. I'd recommend waiting until it gets a bit cheaper. It's worth seeing, but not at full price.

Verdict: 7/10. Good.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 5, 2013 8:43 AM BST

Skyfall [DVD]
Skyfall [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Craig
Offered by Discs4all

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Bonds yet, 31 May 2013
This review is from: Skyfall [DVD] (DVD)
I had my doubts watching this. While Casino Royale was amazing, Quantum of Solace was anything but.

My doubts fled after about 10 minutes. The introduction had me on the edge of my seat, and this film was one of the only Bond films where Bond actually felt mortal. Everyone does a great job with the acting: Daniel Craig plays a more down to earth Bond than Brosnan, but I liked that. Roger Moore's films (and Brosnan's too to a lesser extent) just got a bit too unrealistic my the end. Some people won't like the villain, and I can understand that. He is quite camp, but I see what they were doing: he was like the Anti Bond. Where Bond is butch, manly and uses old school weapons, he's camp, effeminate and relies completely on technology.

A lot of Bond films are just action, and that's fine I've never had a problem with that. But in this film we find out a bit more about James Bond the man, and why he is the way he is. And I like the way the villain wasn't trying to take over the world, or cause a huge disaster: he just wants revenge. And you can actually sympathise with him, unlike any other Bond villain (apart from Travelian).

The cinematography is amazing - there's a scene where Bond is fighting a villain in a room and we see their shadows fighting. It's a really nice touch, and thank God they didn't use the shaky cam in this film. In Quantum of Solace it felt like they squeezed the girl in, but here she feels much more natural. I won't spoil it, but it was great what they did with her.

It's not perfect - the film dragged a bit in the middle. This film felt like a reboot of the Bond franchise, and if they carry on being as good as this keep em coming!

Verdict: 9/10: Brilliant
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 25, 2014 9:28 PM GMT

Movie 43 [DVD]
Movie 43 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hugh Jackman

1.0 out of 5 stars I beg you not to buy this, 9 May 2013
This review is from: Movie 43 [DVD] (DVD)
It's rare that a film makes me feel like this one did. In most bad films I'm just bored out of my mind. With this one, I was downright furious.

A lot of 15 and 18 rated comedies use toilet humour. I'm OK with that: sometimes it can be funny. Not here though. The quality of the writing here is something along these lines:
Knock Knock
Who's there?
Someone
Someone who?
Someone who wants to **** on you!

That's not even the worst part of this film, if you can believe it. They got an A List cast to be in this: Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry and Richard Gere to name just 3. HOW?! You would think that once you'd won an Oscar the films would come to you and you could pick and choose your roles. The creator is one of the brothers behind There's Something About Mary and Me, Myself and Irene. Therefore, you might think this film is good. But it really isn't. It's just a load of vulgar sketch comedy skits stapled together. In all these skits, there wasn't one thing that made me so much as chuckle. And because of the creator and star studded cast, after one sketch falls flat you think to yourself "Maybe the next one'll be better. Maybe I'm not wasting my life." Then the next sketch comes along which is as bad or worse, slaps you in the face and says "Oh yes you are."

What is there besides vulgar toilet humour and gross out jokes that go nowhere and aren't funny? Nothing. In terms of plot, it is all but absent. That would be OK on a 5 minute YouTube video. But that's just not good enough for an hour and a half film.

This film is awful on every level. It's awful in ways I didn't know a film could be. I would rather watch all of Uwe Boll's films back to back than sit through this again once. I can think of one good thing about this film: if you needed to torture someone, you wouldn't need thumbscrews or water boarding - just play this on a loop. They'll tell you everything you want to know within the hour.

You might like raunchy comedies, I've got no problem with that. While they're not my cup of tea, I'll admit they can be good. But please, please stay away from this one. If you want a raunchy comedy get Ted, The Hangover, There's Something About Mary, Me Myself and Irene or Horrible Bosses. They have characters, a story and are actually funny.

Verdict: 0/10. WORSE THAN DEATH.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 26, 2013 6:12 PM BST

Fire Emblem: Awakening (Nintendo 3DS)
Fire Emblem: Awakening (Nintendo 3DS)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best game on the 3DS right now, 2 May 2013
I had mixed feelings when I pre ordered my copy. While I loved The Sacred Stones and enjoyed Radiant Dawn, I did not like Shadow Dragon at all. Whatever doubts I had soon fled when I started playing.

The Gameplay follows the traditional Fire Emblem formula, with some new tweaks and changes. Swords, Axes and Lances work in a Rock Paper Scissors kind of way, meaning you have to balance your party. Bows can attack from a distance, but not up close. Magic (as well as Javelins and Hand Axes) can strike from a distance or up close. Joy of joys, they bought back the Support system from Sacred Stones, and gave it a buff too. In Radiant Dawn, they just used to exchange a few generic lines. Here, you find out a lot about the character's pasts through support conversations, and it makes a gameplay difference too. When you put 2 units side by side normally, the one attacking or being attacked gets a small boost (10% + hit for example) - if they support they get more boosts. Sometimes both characters attack an enemy too. And if 2 opposite gendered units build enough support together, they can get married and have a child, who will eventually join you.

You can also reclass your units, although it's much more restricted than Shadow Dragon. This actually isn't a bad thing - it makes them feel a lot less disposable. You can also promote them once they hit level 10 (although I'd recommend waiting until they hit level 20) and they bought the branching system from The Sacred Stones back. That means no 2 playthroughs have to be the same.

That brings me onto the Avatar you create at the start of your adventure. They can be whatever class you want once you get a Second Seal, although some classes are exclusive to set genders. So your avatar could be a Dark Knight, while your friend could have a War Cleric. This is one of the deepest RPGs this side of Pokémon.

But don't think it's inaccessible. The tutorials explain everything very well, and they're so unobtrusive. Game Freak, watch and learn - the Pokémon series could do with some tutorials like this. It's highly customisable too, although I wish there'd been more options for what I could do with my avatar. To give you an idea of how customisable this game is, you can even leave the original Japanese voice acting in (don't worry you still get subtitles). For the first time, you can even turn permanent death off, although I don't recommend doing that. The game feels better when you know anyone could die at any time.

A death sentence for any RPG is a poor story (apart from Dark Souls). Luckily, that's not the case here. I groaned when I found out my avatar had amnesia, but the story's anything but cliche. The characters are all memorable too, from the tomboyish Sully to the vain Virion. Chrom is one of the most fleshed out heroes of the series so far, and you really feel for him during some of the sadder moments. That's all I'll say about the story. I know this will probably fall on deaf ears, but please don't read the plot on wikipedia.

As for the graphics...as someone who grew up with Pokémon Red on the GameBoy, I didn't know handheld games could look this good. The hand drawn characters, the weapons that carry over into the battle, and the battles themselves all look great. You can also play the battle with a cinematic camera, a 1st person view or the traditional side on angle. You can also fast forward, slow down and pause the battles, which is a nice feature. Maybe the spells were a bit bland, and Panne looks like a mutant kangaroo in her animal form.

The music and voice acting are good too. The characters speak in battle, cheering when they win or crying out in pain when hit (although luckily they don't always cheer, since that would get boring). All the characters have good voice actors that match them, and you can tell they were really trying to make something amazing here. And they succeeded. This is, for me, the best game on the 3DS right now. It's reason no. 1 to own one. Worry not though: when you've finished this, you've got Luigi's Mansion 2, Super Mario 3D Land, Ocarina of Time 3DS, Kid Icarus Uprising, Monster Hunter 3, Mario Kart 7 and later this year Pokémon X/Y and the sequel to A Link To The Past.

To sum up, this game's absolutely brilliant. There are a few nitpicks I have, but this is one of the few games that I can put my hand on my heart and honestly say that there wasn't one thing that really annoyed me. If you're a fan of strategy games, this is a must buy.

10/10

Bad Boys 2 [DVD] [2004]
Bad Boys 2 [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Will Smith|Martin Lawrence
Offered by best_value_entertainment

2.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre, 12 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Bad Boys 2 [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
At this film's premise, it's a police action film. The plot (not that you'll care) involves Will Smith and Martin Lawrence hunting down drug dealers. It's a straightforward action film, nothing wrong that at all. Except this film is OVER 2 HOURS LONG! WHY?! Who wrote it, Christopher Nolan? If you're going to make a film that long, it had better have either a really interesting plot and/or interesting characters. This has neither.

The acting is awful. Martin Lawrence is a bad actor, but at least he somewhat tried here. Will Smith might as well have had a sign round his neck that said "I don't give a **** I'm just here for the cash". In their defence though, the characters they're playing have very little personality. Because the acting's so bad, I didn't care at all about the characters. Which made the action scenes, spectacular though they were, boring. And there was never any sense of danger either. During the long freeway chase scene (The Matrix Reloaded did a better one), 22 cars and 1 boat are destroyed, Generic Black Guy #1 & #2 don't have a scratch on them, and despite endangering hundreds of lives and causing millions of dollars worth of damage while accomplishing nothing, they still keep their jobs! Come on, at least give me some believability.

Basic action films can be good fun, I get that. But if you want a basic action film, get Marvel's Avengers Assemble [DVD], .Dredd [DVD] or The Raid [DVD]. They do everything this film does, but they do it much better. If you're still bent on seeing this though, wait for it to come on TV. It's not worth paying to see.

Argo DVD [2013]
Argo DVD [2013]
Dvd ~ Ben Affleck
Offered by Bridge_Records

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 17 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Argo DVD [2013] (DVD)
Story:

+: The story is explained very well. It's simple enough that you won't get lost, and it's complex enough that you won't get bored. There's always a sense of danger, and I haven't watched a film with this much tension since...ever. Right up to the end, I was asking myself "are they going to be OK?" There's also some great dark humour, which comes from the fake film they're making. But the humour never detracts from the tension - you're always aware that those hostages are trapped and could die at any time.
-: It's not entirely historically accurate. This didn't bother me, since it never called itself as a documentary. I watch documentaries to learn; I watch films to be entertained. It might bother you, if you're expecting 100% historical accuracy.

Acting:

+: Great performances from everyone. Whatever your preconceptions on Ben Afflec, he's excellent in this. That said, my favourite actor in this film was the man who played the producer of the fake film they're making (blanking on his name). But everyone pulls their weight, even the extras.
-: No complaints

Script:

+: Very good. It makes the characters seem a lot more real, and there are some brilliant one liners. Example: ("Its target audience won't like it." "Who are the target audience?" "People with eyes." and "Argo F*** Yourself").
-: No real complaints.

Sets:

+: It shows the old Paramount logo at the start, which is a nice touch. Revolutionary Iran and 70s America are created with excellent attention to detail. During the credits, they show some photos of the real life counterparts the actors are playing, and they all look very much like them.
-: No complaints.

Closing Comments:

Argo is amazing. It's tense from beginning to end, the acting is superb, and the story is never belittled. This is my favourite film of 2012 (tied with Skyfall and Avengers Assemble), and one of my top 10 favourite films of all time. It's been nominated for Best Picture at the 2013 Oscars, and I really hope it wins. This is Ben Afflec's third time in the director's chair, and he did an amazing job. Keep em coming Ben!

10/10: Masterpiece
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 17, 2013 11:47 PM BST

Pokemon Black 2 (Nintendo DS)
Pokemon Black 2 (Nintendo DS)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 19 Nov. 2012
Graphics:

+ An excellent cross between 2D and 3D (2.5D?). All the trainer and Pokemon sprites are animated and the scenery is some of the best looking you'll see on the DS. Some of the attack animation have been beefed up.
- Some of the Pokemon look a bit stupid but...I didn't care. You probably won't either.

Gameplay:

+ An excellent combination of depth and accessibility means that it's fairly easy to learn but hard to master. You won't need the HMs as much this time - you could complete the main story using just Surf and Waterfall, with the others only being used to access secrets and shortcuts.
- No real complaints

Sound:

+ Excellent all round. Some tunes remain from Black and White, others have been reworked. My particular favourites are the Team Plasma and Colress themes, but this was the only Pokemon game I've ever played where I liked every single tune.
- The beeping when your Pokemon's health is low is annoying. That needs to go. I CAN SEE MY POKEMON HAS LOW HEALTH, I DON'T NEED BEEPING!

Story:

+ The best in any Pokemon game. Mind you, that doesn't mean what it should...Team Plasma has split in two, with the half who believed N was trying to help Pokemon trying to make amends and the other half who just wanted power are trying to take over the Unova region. This is also the only time I ever played a Pokemon game where there was a sense of threat from the baddies, especially towards the end.
- No complaints.

Lifespan:

+ The main story takes a good 20 or so hours to finish, and when that's done you've got Black Tower/White Forest to clear, the Pokemon World Tournament to challenge (this lets you battle the great trainers from other games) and 10 legendary Pokemon to catch. You've also got the Pokewood movie studios to make short films with your Pokemon, the Musicals (a hangover from BW, I wasn't too impressed with those) and the Battle Subway. The Unova regional Pokedex contains over 300 Pokemon. You could spend a good 100 hours on this game, no exaggeration.
- No complaints

Closing Comments

I absolutely loved this game. It may even be the best one yet - it's certainly up there with the best. If you're a Pokemon fan, buy it! If you're not a Pokemon fan but you're looking for a very deep game, you won't be disappointed. Older gamers, don't be put off. I'm 22, and I loved it. This is probably the last Pokemon game we'll see on the normal DS (the Mystery Dungeon series has already moved to the 3DS). What a way to finish! I have minor nitpicks, but no game is absolutely perfect. This is one of the best games I've played in a long time.

Rating: 10/10. Masterpiece.