Profile for Pete > Reviews

Content by Pete

Pete "Smiles" (Birmingham UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and Comfy, 8 Nov. 2008
Been wearing these for a few weeks now and they're great. They look good and are nice and waterproof. Okay, I'm biased - I love DMs!

Live In Gdansk (2CD & DVD)
Live In Gdansk (2CD & DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 5 Nov. 2008
Just a beautiful album, with the band sounding so relaxed and note perfect. I really do recommend this so much. And don't forget to pop the DVD into your PC for the extra mp3s: so far there's 'Wot's Uh...the Deal', Dominoes and a rather amazing Shine On You Crazy Diamond. A new track will be added every month until September 2009. How great a package is this! :-)

Wilderness
Wilderness
Offered by Super Duper

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Beautiful, 2 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Wilderness (Audio CD)
I must admit to downloading this a few months ago, so I've had a lot of time to enjoy listening to this beautiful collection of songs. I sometimes wonder why Brett gets so much criticism when he consistently delivers such high quality music and truly moving lyrics. It's so obvious that he really cares about his craft and that's so rare nowadays, in this age of mediocrity. I bought this album today because I love it so much. It's got beautiful packaging, too. I recommend this completely. This is music you'll still love in decades to come. You really can't say that too often. Thanks Brett. I'm hoping to see you in concert soon (if you're playing Birmingham?)

Song (1990)
Song (1990)
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars More Than Music, 11 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Song (1990) (Audio CD)
This is just the most beautiful album. It conjures up images of lonely windswept beaches, lazy endless clouds drifting away onto the horizon, suburbia with it's lost souls and myriad stifled dreams and a much gentler life of quiet desperation. I feel so removed and at peace when I listen to this album. It's not just music, it's art
(and I don't say that lightly.)
It's such a shame that they didn't make any more albums together. This is such a lost classic.

Hat Trick
Hat Trick

5.0 out of 5 stars Treasured Music, 13 May 2008
This review is from: Hat Trick (Audio CD)
This was the first album I ever bought, and the reason was because I liked the cover and thought they looked cool. I was about seventeen at the time. I'm forty-three now and I still listen to this pretty much on a weekly basis. It's the best of America's albums (and I own the lot.) There's not a weak track and it ages with such style & grace. I need this in my life to make me remember that life and music can be truly beautiful.

Kill To Get Crimson
Kill To Get Crimson

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 8 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Kill To Get Crimson (Audio CD)
I kept hearing this in music and book stores and everytime I did I would find snatches of it dancing around in my memory for the rest of the evening. Now, being as I was completely allergic to Brothers in Arms and the whole glossy eighties Dire Straits, this was very odd. My partner bought it for me and now we listen to it most evenings. It's a collection of beautiful songs that require you to sit and listen, as you would to a story. It's one of those rare albums that sinks immediately into your heart. Mind you, having read the previous reviews it's obviously the musical equivalent of Marmite. You'll either love it or hate it. Me, I hate Marmite but I Love this.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 26, 2010 12:05 PM BST

Roots & Echoes
Roots & Echoes
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good For Your Ears and Heart, 8 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Roots & Echoes (Audio CD)
This is a fantastic album. There's just not a bad song on it, and, contrary to an earlier reviewer, I find that the more I listen to it the more depth I find and the more I love it. It's true that I'm a real fan of the Liverpool / Merseyside sound, but this is just such a perfect antidote to all the cholesterol dross that's clogging up arteries of modern music. Well done, boys. You put the sun back in my heart.

BBC Live In Concert
BBC Live In Concert

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy Now and Love Forever, 6 Jun. 2007
This review is from: BBC Live In Concert (Audio CD)
If you love John Martyn's music then buy this but make sure you're seated before you start listening. It's fantastic. I'm just finishing disc one and I'm blown away by the experience.I won't waffle but seriously, you need this in your life.

Brett Anderson
Brett Anderson
Offered by Amazin Deals!

4.0 out of 5 stars Just Beautiful, 8 April 2007
This review is from: Brett Anderson (Audio CD)
My gut reaction on first listening to Brett's first solo album was that I might have to save it for a dark day when I need a truly understanding soul to listen to. That was the first listen. Since then I've listened a lot and I have to say that this is a truly beautiful album of mostly sad songs that really feel fresh and truthful. I was listening to this yesterday on the way to Stratford upon Avon with a perfect blue sky overhead and summer in the air. And it was, strangely,the perfect soundtrack to the day. It's not pop music; it's better than that. Just listen to this with the same degree of concentration you might afford a novel and you'll be similarly rewarded. Thanks, Brett. Especially for 'To the Winter'. That's become an instant all time favourite song of mine.

Friendly Fire [Limited Edition CD + DVD
Friendly Fire [Limited Edition CD + DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars How Wonderful is This!, 6 Nov. 2006
I'm so glad that my gorgeous partner bought me this CD. What a beautiful set of songs. It's gone into my instant classics music. That's the stuff I know I'll be listening to regularly, and loving for decades. I really do recommend this to anyone who loves good music. There is definitely a Lennon sound going on in there, but it's his own voice and it works brilliantly. And there's a really fantastic DVD to go with it - brilliantly realised videos to many of the songs on the album. Thanks Sean. Just beautiful! Am I ranting? Believe me, I don't often, lol.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8