Profile for Miss Fiona Lynn Sinclair > Reviews

Content by Miss Fiona Lyn...

Miss Fiona Lynn Sinclair

Living in France Made Simple
Living in France Made Simple
by Tanja Bulatovic

5.0 out of 5 stars Merci mille fois!, 16 Oct. 2015
An excellent book, down to earth and practical advice. It help to give me that final piece of courage needed to make my dreams a reality. I hope to move to France next year.

Start and Run Your Own Coffee Shop and Lunch Bar: 2nd edition (How to Small Business Start-Ups)
by Heather Lyon

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 30 Mar. 2015
An excellent book, one that is full of useful tips and common sense advise. The author isn't afraid of stating the obvious and sometimes it does help to be reminded of these fact.

My Little French Kitchen: Over 100 recipes from the mountains, market squares and shores of France
by Rachel Khoo

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 Jan. 2015
A book full of excellent and easy to follow recipes

How To Be Chic And Elegant: Tips From A French Woman
How To Be Chic And Elegant: Tips From A French Woman
by Marie-Anne Lecoeur

5.0 out of 5 stars At last a book that does not require the reader to have a large bank balance in order to look her best., 19 Jun. 2014
I love this book, it is filled with common sense advice which does not cost the earth and, in some cases, provides ways in which you can save money and yet still look and feel good.

C'est magnifique!

Two Lipsticks and a Lover
Two Lipsticks and a Lover
by Helena Frith Powell

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read with one or two good tips, although you may find you have to adapt them to suit your budget, 9 Jun. 2014
Maybe the haute bourgeois, whom no doubt, have both the time and the money to spend on being perfectly groomed, are stereotypical of those described in this book. However, having visited France, Paris in particular, many times during the last couple of years (and being the observant woman I am) I have noticed the usual mix of people one finds in most cities; the only difference being that the percentage of well groomed women appears to be little higher in France.

That said, there are useful tips on the wisdom of buying wisely, when it comes to clothes, and also self-grooming that I found helpful. However, quite a few of the treatments, suggested, would probably be out side the reach of most women who are less affluent than the author, despite her protestations to the contrary (I assume that she met B, as she calls him, whilst travelling first class). So be prepared to modify them to suit your budget.

The part of this book that I found the most amusing is when Madame Frith Powell mentions that all her efforts to become better groomed etc. culminated in her being mistaken for a Parisian and asked for directions by a courier.

It amused me because although I do take pride in my appearance, I would never claim to be as well groomed as the women the author describes in her book (goodness knows I am often seen sans lipstick and with less than a perfect manicure), but even I have been stopped twice whilst in Paris and asked for directions, and all without having read a single line of Two Lipsticks and a Lover. However, I am the first to concede, this could owe more to the possibility that it is less likely that lone women are mistaken for tourists, or visitors, than any attempt that I may make to try and pass myself off as a local.

My own mother, who is English to the core, never left the house without applying a dash of lipstick; although I am certain she would have agreed that doing so to take out the rubbish is rather extreme and perhaps suggests a woman with self-confidence problems. It is one thing to take pride in one’s appearance but doing so to the exclusion of all else may suggest something of an imbalance in one’s life.

Perhaps, then, it is better to view the advice, in this book, as something we can, if we so wish, aspire to whilst remembering not to beat ourselves up if we fall a little short due to the constraints that life has bequeathed us.

A Certain Je Ne Sais Quoi: The Ideal Guide to Sounding, Acting and Shrugging Like the French
by Charles Timoney

5.0 out of 5 stars An informative and amusing read, 18 April 2014
This book is excellent, an informative and amusing insight into the French mindset and way of life. I would recommend it to anyone who wishes to make the most of their time in France.

Same Old Scene (1999 - Remaster)
Same Old Scene (1999 - Remaster)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite songs from the 80s, 16 Mar. 2014
A bitter-sweet song that takes me back to bitter-sweet times; and given I am a woman of few words that sums this song up quite nicely for me. :)

Stargate Atlantis - Season 1 [DVD]
Stargate Atlantis - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Joe Flanigan
Offered by Discs4all

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent series, 8 Jan. 2014
I came across Stargate Atlantis almost by accident when they was repeating it on one of the Freeview channels; and found it to be a well written and thought provoking show, with the added bonus of having a very attractive male lead!