Profile for CodexGal > Reviews

Content by CodexGal

CodexGal "CodexGal" (UK)

Playing For The Ashes: An Inspector Lynley Novel: 7
Playing For The Ashes: An Inspector Lynley Novel: 7

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a slog. Not the cheeriest read of my year., 31 Dec. 2015
Gratuitously sleazy, overlong, & bizarrely & unpleasantly obsessed with smoking. Overall, while a decent mystery, rather depressing. Not my favourite book in this series.

Murder Most Unladylike: A Murder Most Unladylike Mystery
Murder Most Unladylike: A Murder Most Unladylike Mystery
by Robin Stevens

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent start of a fantastic series. Murder mysteries for beginners!, 3 July 2015
Have bought two in this series for my daughter and will buy more. These have been a revelation. I wasn't sure my tomboyish 10year old daughter would 'get' this golden age murder mystery set in a girls school in the 1930s, but she couldn't get enough of it. Love the main characters, the excellent plotting and the vintage charm. It was also quite scary. Can you guess that I read it too?

Arsenic For Tea: A Murder Most Unladylike Mystery
Arsenic For Tea: A Murder Most Unladylike Mystery
by Robin Stevens

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect introduction to murder mysteries!, 3 July 2015
This book has introduced my 10 year old daughter to the delights of a proper murder mystery. Great characters - the girl detectives Hazel & Daisy were quite complex for a novel aimed at children and very human, plus fantastic storytelling, engaging 1930s setting and some genuinely scary bits had her enthralled. I really recommend this book for young readers (and I have to admit, I loved it too!)

The Diet Myth: The Real Science Behind What We Eat
The Diet Myth: The Real Science Behind What We Eat

5.0 out of 5 stars funny, controversial romp through the science of the microbiome, 3 July 2015
This is a really engaging, clear, funny, controversial romp through the science of the microbiome. If you are at all interested in your health, public policy on health or are just nosy about what's going on inside you, you will love this! Fascinating stuff.

LOVE & JUSTICE: A Compelling True Story Of Triumph Over Tragedy
LOVE & JUSTICE: A Compelling True Story Of Triumph Over Tragedy

5.0 out of 5 stars Like so many other people I could not put this ..., 22 May 2015
Like so many other people I could not put this book down and ended up reading long into the small hours. I nearly took my Kindle into the shower, it was so compelling. Diana is clearly an extraordinarily brave, passionate, determined woman and you root for her throughout. It's hard to imagine how anyone would cope with her nightmarish experience, yet Diana does not flinch from sharing the harrowing details. It's a haunting, vivid, but never bleak, account of a how a few seconds can change a life forever.

Fast Exercise
Fast Exercise
by Michael Mosley

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating and inspiring, 23 May 2014
This review is from: Fast Exercise (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. Engagingly and amusingly written with convincing science. It's encouraged me to change the way I exercise.

Kitty Peck and the Music Hall Murders
Kitty Peck and the Music Hall Murders
by Kate Griffin

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping mix of grand-guinol, glamour, grime & gin., 8 July 2013
Possibly the best thing about Kitty Peck & The Music Hall Murders is the incredibly vivid evocation of the sights, sensations and smells of an imagined Victorian London. From Kitty's delicate-on-the-outside, brutal-on-the-inside theatrical costumes to the terrifying, vile-smelling darkness of the Limehouse docks, I could 'see' every scene in my mind as I read. Love that the central figure is a sharp-witted, physically brave, working-class teen girl (really original and fresh) but the feel is adult, with some frightening scenes. Stayed up until the small hours to read this in one gulp. Can't give away the twists of the plot, but if, like me, you love history and whodunnits, and are in the mood for a page-turner of a black-hearted romp, this will definitely fit the bill. (My first review. Hope it helps)