Profile for Terry Downey > Reviews

Content by Terry Downey

Terry Downey

Delphi Complete Works of Charles Dickens (Illustrated)
Delphi Complete Works of Charles Dickens (Illustrated)
Price: 1.83

4.0 out of 5 stars The Other Dickens, 26 Jun 2013
This is not a proper review - I wouldn't attempt such a thing on a 'book' as massive as this, but I thought I'd mention the thing that struck me most when dipping into it, namely how much awful stuff Dickens wrote in addition to his great stuff. I suppose that's probably true of most authors but I'd just never realized it about Dickens before.

The Stories of English
The Stories of English

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like language..., 26 Jun 2013
It's a while since I read this but I do remember finding it very absorbing and indeed revelatory, which surprised me a bit because the evolution of language is something I've been interested in and reading about for most of my long life. But that is really the central and only point of my review: the world would appear to be divided into those who find this kind of thing fantastically boring and anoraks like me who love it. So now you know.

The Shining Girls
The Shining Girls
Price: 1.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Some great writing but..., 26 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Shining Girls (Kindle Edition)
This was a troubling book for me in the early chapters as its period switches between chapters made me fear it might a time-travel job, which is not the sort of book I would normally read. However, once it got well under way there was some terrific writing and I recall one chapter as particularly good, an episode told from the angle of a would-be mugger / conman. There were some very funny parts too. Overall though I felt the story went on a bit too long and started to feel a bit repetitious and well before the end I was glancing at the % left quite frequently. I won't reveal whether it was a time-travel job or not, but regardless of that, if you like your stories told in a straightforward, linear way, this is not the book for you.

An English Affair: Sex, Class and Power in the Age of Profumo
An English Affair: Sex, Class and Power in the Age of Profumo
Price: 6.64

4.0 out of 5 stars Slowburner to begin with but..., 26 Jun 2013
Some people might have found the book a little slow to start with because of the amount of historical context-setting - I didn't mind this myself as it was 'my' time - but once the story proper got under way the book was a very good read, well paced and well narrated. I wouldn't say there were too many staggering revelations for me but I really enjoyed reading about the period again and marvelling at how much has changed since - or maybe I was marvelling at how antediluvian so many attitudes and beliefs were only 50 years ago.