Profile for Leon > Reviews

Melissa & Doug See-Inside Alphabet Peg Puzzle
Melissa & Doug See-Inside Alphabet Peg Puzzle
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars great learning toy, 6 May 2013
Just what I wanted - a fun way for 18-36 month olds to lean the alphabet. My 2 year old has remembered nearly all the objects and is linking about half the letters to their sounds.

The board is paper covered (laminated?) and peeled straight out of the packaging, so I don't think it'll last for my next baby unfortunately.

How to Bake
How to Bake
by Paul Hollywood
Price: 9.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Tweaking required., 6 May 2013
This review is from: How to Bake (Hardcover)
I love this book. It has inspired me to try all kinds of things I've always thought impossible. I know only eat my own bread, cakes and biscuits. I never buy. All thanks to this book. There are some inspired twists on traditional recipes and lots of photos for tricksy things like laminating dough. It also shows up some of the recipes of well known cooks like Delia and Mary Berry - I shall never now go to those books if I want a bread recipe.

So why a three star? Because there were just too many recipes that needed tweaking. It inspired me to look them up on the internet and figure out the problems - so for example, crumpets are best made with a thick batter, not a thin one. Laminating dough is much easier if the butter isn't rock hard after being in the fridge for an hour each time. Sourdough starter is easier and cheaper to keep in the fridge with much smaller quantities than suggested - this is really important as I was wasting kilos of flour in order to feed the starter each week! Also, no mention is made of the stretch and fold technique of bread making which makes fantastic bread and means you don't need to go and buy a kitchenaid for all the kneading.

So overall, this was a great book but one that needs some tweaking.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 2, 2014 7:54 PM BST

Pirate Pete's Potty: A Ladybird potty training book
Pirate Pete's Potty: A Ladybird potty training book
by Andrea Pinnington
Edition: Board book
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars reinforcement for potty training, 6 May 2013
A nice illustrated book to tell the tale of potty training. The hurrah button is a hit and I have my son sat on the potty just so he can press the button. Very glad I bought this book.

Five Little Ducks (Classic Books with Holes)
Five Little Ducks (Classic Books with Holes)
by Penny Ives
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars nice ending, 6 May 2013
Lots of pictures and images to point to. I love the repetative rhyme and the nice ending. I don't think this will be a long term 'keeper' as the story lacks texture and interest but great for time being (bought for a 2 year old)..

Funny Face
Funny Face
by Nicola Smee
Price: 5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacks imagination, 6 May 2013
This review is from: Funny Face (Hardcover)
I love the idea behind this book - each page has a different face to imitate (angry, happy, sad etc). But the story linking the sequence of faces is pretty unimaginative. I'm sure they could have written a better story.

Room on the Broom
Room on the Broom
by Julia Donaldson
Price: 3.85

5.0 out of 5 stars great to read aloud, 6 May 2013
This review is from: Room on the Broom (Paperback)
I love this book and I'm determined to find others by the same author. Great rythmn to read to - it really engages my 2 year old's attention. Love the illustrations too. Such good quality. Well worth the price.

Fifty Shades of Grey: 1/3
Fifty Shades of Grey: 1/3
Price: 2.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Wholly crap!, 8 July 2012
To use the well chosen words of Anastasia Steele, this book is indeed Wholly crap!

No more to say really...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 21, 2012 10:44 PM BST

Milk, Money and Madness: Culture and Politics of Breastfeeding
Milk, Money and Madness: Culture and Politics of Breastfeeding
by Richard Jolly

4.0 out of 5 stars good on history of BF, 7 Aug 2011
This book has a lot of interesting parts, particulary on the rise of formula feeding (FF), rather breaking the myth we (I?) have that women were completly content to breastfeed before the 1960's...The author also looks at other cultures for a fuller understanding of BF mores...all very interesting.

At times the "facts" in the book are clearly anecdotal and data poorly interpreted in an eagerness to present a story. Eg women in developing countried don't BF because formula company pressure advertising, but a second interpretation could be because the women have to work in unprotected conditions - India may have great maternity rights, but I guess most women do not have work contracts and thus have to contiue working or face poverty. Combining full time employment with BF even in Europe is difficult enough!

I'd hoped the book would deal more with the westernised image of the breast and other social factors which may hinder women BF. This is surely a break on young women choosing to BF despite great maternity working options in Europe....something I see in friends in any case. I also found the book a little too US-biased and a little too campaign-y - surely not ALL BF woes can be attributed to Nestlé?

Interesting read though!