Profile for R. L. Armitage > Reviews

Content by R. L. Armitage

R. L. Armitage

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Trademarket® Replacement Laptop Battery for Sony Vaio VGP-BPS2 VGP-BPL2 VGP-BPS2A (11.1V 5200 mAh) (Fits: Sony VAIO VGN-FZ19VN VAIO PCG-6C1N, VAIO PCG-6P1L, VAIO PCG-6P1P, VAIO PCG-6P2L, VAIO PCG-6P2P, VAIO PCG-792L)
Offered by EPC (UK) GRP LTD

3.0 out of 5 stars Take care choosing your battery, 28 Oct 2013
This battery came up in Amazon for my computer but was not a complete match in the lower end of the digits - is this important? In this case yes, in other cases I have found no. The battery was right capacity, voltage and the 99% correct but had one tiny part of the casing which prevented it sliding into the main slot. I was tempted to file it off but in the end did not. So I was unable to use the battery which was disappointing. Of course Amazon are brilliant at taking things back. Potentially great value if it had worked for me.

Steve Jobs: The Exclusive Biography
Steve Jobs: The Exclusive Biography
by Walter Isaacson

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating insights into attitudes that drove an inspirational leader of our times, 18 Oct 2013
The biography tells it as it was from the perspective of different participants in and around Steve Jobs' life. Great book. Great insights into a way of thinking that spawned the most valuable company on our planet to date.
I enjoy modelling my own attitudes on those of remarkable people, rather than attitudes I happen to have inherited without thinking about them very much. I recently finished Nelson Mandela's Long Walk to Freedom and now this one. Inspiring books.

Inateck Superspeed 4 Ports PCI-E to USB 3.0 Expansion Card - Interface USB 3.0 4-Port Express Card Desktop with 15 pin SATA Power Connector, [ Include with A 4pin to 2x15pin Cable + A 15pin to 2x 15pin SATA Y-Cable ]
Offered by Inateck

5.0 out of 5 stars Had a problem - they responded very well - exceeded expectations -, 6 Oct 2013
I wrote a review with one star since when I connected my devices to this USB 3 card the PC would often reboot - so I gave the item one star and the review was entitled 'Unreliable in my PC'. The same day (Sunday) it was written the company had taken note of my review and wrote to me offering tech support suggesting that the power lead to the card may not be connected properly. I had packaged the item for return to Amazon the next day but still physically had it. The card power connection had looked okay to me so I had not tried re-installing but, on receiving their email, I did re-install with great care to ensure all connectors were pushed home - and the card worked fine.
For large files I am getting 5GB per minute of actual file data as a transfer rate which I never saw before between any 2 of my drives. On groups of smaller files I am getting 3.8GB. Using 2 other USB 3 cards I have I was getting about 3GB (and up to 2GB per minute for USB 2 transfers) - so I think it is well optimised for data transfers. I am impressed that they took the trouble to courteously step in immediately and offer advice which pinpointed the problem.
I also like that they include all the connectors you are likely to need and the manual is well and clearly written in proper English. So I have revised my review to 5 stars. In fact I would give it 5 stars plus for suppliers attitude. I like.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 8, 2013 12:01 PM BST

Lenoge® Band New Laptop Battery for Toshiba Satellite A660 A665 L645 L655 L675 M300 M301 M305 M505 U405 L640 L640-00P L640-EZ1410 Part Number PA3634U-1BAS PA3635U-1BRM PA3636U-1BRL[10.8V 6cells Li-ion]
Offered by EPC (UK) GRP LTD

1.0 out of 5 stars Discharge fine but very slow charging, 5 April 2013
I have a 2 year old Toshiba Satellite P775 and wanted an extra battery. The existing battery has 2 model numbers on it - PABAS17U-1BRS and PABAS228. In the Amazon page this replacement battery says it is compatible with PABAS228. It fits fine and drives the PC fine but battery charging takes about 24 hours instead of the usual 2 or so that the original battery takes. 2 to 3 hours is reasonable, 24 hours is not practical. If you cannot charge a battery overnight (6 or 7 hours) then it is not practical. I looked on the web for possible causes but nothing felt right. Could be I got a bad battery. Could be the model is not compatible with PABAS228 as it claims. The runtime of the battery from full charge was good - similar to the original Toshiba battery. I suspect the battery is not compatible with PABAS228. May work fine for other models such as those laptops specifically named in the info page. I have now ordered a Toshiba original battery at 3 times the price.

Acer H243HX 24-inch Wide LCD, TFT Monitor, 80'000:1, 2ms, 300/m2, VGA, HDMI, with Speakers, Intergrated Webcam, Gloss Black (discontinued by manufacturer)

3.0 out of 5 stars A good general purpose screen, 8 July 2011
I bought this a month ago (June 2011). It performs mostly very well, faultlessly, as a screen and it is good looking and sophisticated on the desk in shiny black. The twist and pivot functions are excellent to get the exact viewing angle I want. There are some internal speakers but these, as I read in one other review prior to purchasing, are quiet. Usable with the volume turned up full (push button setting on the front of the screen not explained in the documentation). The screen has inbuilt microphone and webcam but I reverted to using my external Logitech webcam after some experimentation. I performed a test using Skype's callback test and the clarity of the recorded sound using the built in microphone was audible but muffled whereas my old Logitech £15 webcam/microphone gave absolutely clear sound play back. The inbuilt webcam I found to be very good but since I need the Logitech microphone I tend to use the Logitech webcam as well. The screen also has a place to plug in 2 USB devices which I thought might be useful but in practice I find it easier to access the USB sockets on the front and back of my computer. I bought the screen because I was attracted by the internal microphone, webcam and speakers and extra USB sockets - and partly because at around £170 it was a good price with many 24 inch screens in the £200+ range that did not have the extra equipment anyway. Given that the speakers and microphone are not up to par I would probably not buy this unit again if I didn't already have it. However as a screen it is excellent and even just as a screen it still represented at time of purchase fair value for money so I am satisfied but not wow'ed.

Black Portable Battery Powered Travel Charger for Apple iPhone 4, iPod & MORE!!
Black Portable Battery Powered Travel Charger for Apple iPhone 4, iPod & MORE!!
Offered by Global Fly

4.0 out of 5 stars Emergency recharger for iPhone and USB devices, 8 July 2011
The price of this unit is very very cheap - about £4 from memory. Hence useful to have. The unit takes a couple of AA size batteries. I was surprised to find that the 2 AA batteries only recharged my 3Gs iPhone about 70% before running out. Still, since I have plenty of AA rechargeable batteries around that is not a problem. However it would be expensive if I was having to buy non-rechargeable batteries for it. Other more expensive rechargers I read about deliver a couple of full iPhone charges so are better from a capacity perspective. However one point in favor of this unit is that it is very small - it is about half as long again as the 2 AA batteries it houses. Very convenient to carry. So for the occasional time I get caught short with my iPhone battery or for long haul flights where I can carry a couple of sets of rechargeable batteries, the unit works very well for me. Although I use an iPhone, any unit that is powered by a USB connection can be powered or recharged from it.

Iphone Headset Stereo with Micro and volume
Iphone Headset Stereo with Micro and volume
Offered by Dragon Claw (15-25 shipping days)

5.0 out of 5 stars Ear phones for iPhone, 8 July 2011
Some reviews I saw of these ear phones suggested they were not Apple originals or of poor quality. I found them to be as my original with the iPhone 3Gs. I find the microphone works fine, the stop/start and volume adjustments work well. My original set developed a fault where one ear had an echoing ring after a heavy knock. I was sufficiently impressed with the quality of what I received that I ordered a spare set which I find useful to keep in a separate location and so actually I use both sets anyway. The price was excellent - about £4 something from memory. When I looked at getting a set from Apple the price quoted was £22. So I am very happy with the offering.

LUPO Plastic Mini USB Desk Fan with 360 Degree Rotation - BLACK
LUPO Plastic Mini USB Desk Fan with 360 Degree Rotation - BLACK
Offered by LUPO STORE

4.0 out of 5 stars Small fan review, 11 Mar 2011
I bought the fan and initially decided it was too weak for my purpose. However when I looked at more powerful fans they were all relatively noisy. Revisiting the fan I found I could bring it close enough after all to some chimes I wanted it to activate indoors. It needs a USB connection rather than a mains connection but I have spare mains to USB plugs.
Small, neat, quiet, very inexpensive - but not powerful.
Perfect as it happens for my needs.

ENVI CC128 White - Energy Saving Monitor - Complete Unit With Transmitter
ENVI CC128 White - Energy Saving Monitor - Complete Unit With Transmitter

4.0 out of 5 stars Envi CC128 bought from Amazon Jan 2011, badged by Sky, 21 Feb 2011
I have had my unit running for the last month or so from 20 Jan 2011. I tried to upload data from the unit to my PC yesterday and failed and emailed the company (on a Sunday). They replied the next day and advised me to press 2 buttons harder - which worked fine. Now I have a months data uploaded to Google Power Meter which is very helpful. I mention this because one of the reviews dated Feb 2010 said you could not do this, that you had to leave it permanently connected to a PC to get data showing in Google Power Meter. Maybe that was true then, but it is not true of the one I have now.
I find the unit does what it said it would do. It also gives me current projected cost for the day and month, something another review said it did not. Provided you use the PC connection it also gives precisely dated daily analysis. I can see, for instance, 4 days ago my usage was high - and that relates to using a washing machine and tumble dryer several times that day.
I did not find the unit totally intuitive for setting up the PC connection and the Google Power Meter connection but I am very happy with the unit now I have it working and feel the cost is very reasonable. Hence a 4 and almost a 5.

The Starfleet Messages: A Galactic Guide to Spiritual Expansion
The Starfleet Messages: A Galactic Guide to Spiritual Expansion
by Catherine Richardson PhD

5.0 out of 5 stars Best small spiritual book in a long time, 18 Jan 2011
The book is 100 pages, a quick and easy read. Chapters are short - 2 or 3 pages. Messages are specific, to the point. If you like Star Trek and are interested in spirituality it's a great little book. Much information in Star Trek is considered to be channelled and the book claims the source behind the book is the same inspirational source behind Star Trek and that feels right to me.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3