Profile for Pinky4 > Reviews

Pinky4 (Irvine,Ayrshire, Scotland)

PSone Console
PSone Console

5.0 out of 5 stars What short memories a lot of people have., 10 Feb 2003
This review is from: PSone Console (Video Game)
Got one of these for my daughter at Christmas. Initially felt a bit guilty as a lot of her friends either got a PS2, gamecube or an X-box. However I picked up the console, 3 pads, memory cards, 12 games-around 9 which are damn good, steering wheel and dance mat for just over 140. This may sound a lot for what is essentially labelled an 'obsolete console' but try picking up 9 good games and one of the other consoles for that price.
Anyway my point. I got this machine Christmas 2002, X-box and gamecube released early/mid 2002 and the PS2 shortly before Christmas 2001. Now that is essentialy just a year where the PSone has had any REAL competiion (sorry Dreamcast loyals!)and look how many people now laugh at,dismiss and generally slag off this machine that no doubt just over 1 year ago they were perfectly happy with. Are they ashamed or something?
Comparisons to the new 'big 3' are also laughable.
It's old - well YES it is nearly 8 years old now.
It's graphics are poor/flickery - No they are not,SNES,Saturn and even N64 (the Playstations original rivals)now THEY had flickery, blocky graphics.
It has no real new releases - Harry P's, Dance games, Treasure Planet 3 that prove that one wrong.
It's only a Ps-one - No it IS a PS-one. A damn fine machine in it's own right.
I have a GBA and have not played it ONCE since Christmas day, such is the attraction ,playability and satisfaction that can be gained from this machine.
I have also priced several of the games I bought my daughter for Christmas on the big 3 and have found, in some cases, that where I paid 12-17 for them they cost between 35-44 on them.
What is they point of owning a machine, or buying one for your children, that you can't afford to run?
Also I hear replacements for the big 3 are almost complete and could be out as early as 2005, talk about longevity!
In short yes I can see that it's days are numbered, new release wise anyway, but with over 1200 games avaliable (if you can find them)and the imminent replacment of the competition,it should not be discounted as a serious choice if you are looking for a dedicated games console for yourself, a pressie for the kids or something to take your mind off your upcoming final exams! (like me)
Cheap as chips gaming that is extremely enjoyable, in my humble opinion anyway.